It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheerleader must compensate school that told her to clap 'rapist'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Cheerleader must compensate school that told her to clap 'rapist'

www.independent.co. uk

A teenage girl who was dropped from her high school's cheerleading squad after refusing to chant the name of a basketball player who had sexually assaulted her must pay compensation of $45,000 (£27,300) after losing a legal challenge against the decision.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
More political insanity in the US.

Is this not a violation of the girl's rights at all? I thought girls had rights in the US... I guess it must be the guy's right to rape the girl, and the girl's obligation to take it.

What could be going on in her mind now, I wonder... she was raped, forced from her recreational past-time, and now is forced to pay $45,000. Will she spend the rest of her life now compliant to the laws of society, or will she resent society?

www.independent.co. uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I certainly don't agree with the final outcome and I can certainly sympathize with her for what happened. However, having said that she probably should have never pursued a compensation claim against the principle and the School District. Not that I am condoning what happened but if you are going to challenge the system you better be prepared if you lose.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by taccj9903

I totally agree with you.

People are too quick to sue in the name of getting justice, when in reality it is often greed which is calling the agenda. I am not saying that is nesesarily what happened here. But if you are going to gamble with a law suite, don't complain you you loose your gamble. It is a terrible thing if she was assaulted, and then kicked off the cheerleaders team, that must have all added up to some pretty bad times for her. But she then decided to take it further when she should have just got on with her life.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Wow how the hell can that happen? The recent threads i have read have left me in a rage at the Un just way this world works .

the school is Silsbee High School

thank for posting this S&F

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamatt

I totally agree with you.

People are too quick to sue in the name of getting justice, when in reality it is often greed which is calling the agenda. I am not saying that is nesesarily what happened here. But if you are going to gamble with a law suite, don't complain you you loose your gamble. It is a terrible thing if she was assaulted, and then kicked off the cheerleaders team, that must have all added up to some pretty bad times for her. But she then decided to take it further when she should have just got on with her life.

It's the ole 20-20 hindsight thing. She would have been better off not suing, just getting kicked of the cheerleading squad and taking her issue and going on Oprah or some other similar show. I'm sure she could have been sitting pretty well right now.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

I could see it being the parents pushing her to sue. may be as a way of getting there frustration out? It really is terrible and i still can't see what they were thinking when asking to cheer him. Im not one to believe in stereotypes but this case really puts a strain on that type of thinking, I just can't comprehend why? you know.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

I agree, however, there is so much to this story that I just don't know about. Why would they make her cheer? If I were the coach and knew what had happened I wouldn't have made her cheer for that pervert. I would have let her stay silent or take a seat.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
OK found some more info. This happened last year also.
yesmeansyesblog.wordpress.com... his-is-what-you-did/

This is what you did, Richard Bain: You told a sixteen year old girl that she would be thrown off the cheerleading squad if she didn’t shout the name of the man who raped her. You let cheer coach Sissy McInnis throw her off the squad when she did not.

If anyone else wants to express an opinion about Richard Bain Jr. of Silsbee, Texas, I encourage them to contact him here: Richard Bain Jr., Superintendent, Silsbee Independent School District, 415 Highway 327 West, Silsbee, TX, 77656; [email protected]; (409) 980-7800.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by taccj9903
It's the ole 20-20 hindsight thing. She would have been better off not suing, just getting kicked of the cheerleading squad and taking her issue and going on Oprah or some other similar show. I'm sure she could have been sitting pretty well right now.

I was kicked out of my highschool because of my opinions of the conditions of the school; I was accused by the school administration of rediculous things like being mentally unstable through bringing weapons to school.

I never sued. Now I'm barred from legally owning guns and deemed "unfit" for military service (which was my career choice from day one), all because the government has "records" of what my highschool administration said about me.

If I had sued, I probably would have not only gained full reprisals from slander, but also inspired reform in my corrupt and neglected school district.

Mind you that I am Canada and this girl is American (they are seperate systems), but at least I know what its like to be completely screwed over by the system. If I had the chance to step back in time and sue those bastards for what they did to my reputation, you bet your ass I would, and I fault this girl none for suing her school.

It's just unfortunate that in the US, there seems to be more rights for criminals than victims.
edit on 8-5-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   

I am sorry to hear that you had to go through all that. I think what this case boiled down to was her right to free speech vs. her representation of the school by being on the cheerleading squad. She was kicked off the squad for refusing to cheer and the courts upheld the decision citing that she was speaking for the school. Regardless of whether or not we agree the point is she challenged that issue which is separate from the whole rape incident. She sued and lost not much you or I or anyone else can do about that.

The big issue for me is the decision by the superintendent and coach to kick her off the squad for refusing to cheer. Their choices showed no compassion or sympathy whatsoever for this girl.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I made a thread on this a few days ago, in breaking news: www.abovetopsecret.com...

It got put in another news category by a moderator here, put in Offtopic Breaking News though it was a breaking news story.
edit on 8-5-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Unity_99 i enjoyed your thread on this topic. i posted there and repeat the essence here:

if you had a daughter that said she was raped, would you leave her in the same school with the alleged rapist? no way in hell would i want that girl to run into this fellow in the hallways. and there is the whispers or some idiot yelling a hurtful slur at the girl. it makes no sense to me why this girls parents did not remove her from that school asap.

now her family has a tremendous debt to repay and that poor girl is still stuck in that school. this incident is going to haunt her for a long time. and there she is, stuck in a stupid little town that is bound to have some people talking trash and pointing fingers. very sad.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

This case should have been as simple as '16 year old kid refuses to cheer man convicted of assaulting her.'

16 year old girl.

Who in their right mind would even think of prosecuting her? Who would let them? If the courts felt obliged to go against her actions....why not a token fine of a $1?

Some people who are old enough to know better need to find the morals they grew up with and fast. This whole story is amoral.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
it says the charges of rape were DROPPED.

so all of you calling him a rapist can stop. he pleaded guilty to other misdemeanour charges and was sent back to school.

this girl willingly came to a party and inebriated herself, then for one reason or another was later displeased at her choice of courtship. im sorry but this is NOT rape. this is infact an insult to anybody who has ever truely been sexually assaulted.

unfortunately the word rape is thrown around more than a basketball at that age. little girls cling to sympathy in any form offered. specially when it involves them making a bad decision.

if you ask me its far more dangerous to allow her to attempt sidestepping her own responsibility to making that bad decesion. i think it should be criminal to bring on such accusations, if they infact did not happen, if only to preserve the seriousness of that particular matter.

i dont know whats worse, an attention starved girl crying "rape" that never occured? or the automatic hyper-reactive responses she will likely receive from those around her shortly after she makes the accusation.
edit on 8-5-2011 by RelentlessLurker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Well being kicked of the cheerleading squad could've affected her financially in the future if it was a career she wanted to pursue. Getting kicked off the squad could've also had negative effects on her college application and any chance she may of had for a scholarship. She made the right decision to sue in my opinion considering her future career was put in jeapordy due to a poor, pathetic decision by school administrators. And now she has to pay the school that wanted to force her to cheer a guy she claimed assaulted her and they wonder why alot of women don't come forward when they're raped.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

she brought it on herself.

she accused somebody of doing something that he did not do.

she should have to pay the amount, and be held criminally responsible for wasting every bodies time (school/taxpayer).

furthermore she even admitted to drinking under age. yet was not charged for it. id say she got off lucky and should not be allowed around alcohol or to anymore parties.

where im from she wouldnt have been allowed back on the cheerleading team after behaving like that. she should be happy she was there at all, and then she had the nerve to defiantly cross her arms and refuse to do her positions job of cheering on the team?

both her and the guy, chose to stay on the team after the incident.

they both had every opportunity to call it quits if they felt personal matters would interfere.
edit on 8-5-2011 by RelentlessLurker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ScousePhil

perhaps she should have thought about that "career" before she went to a party and got drunk with one of the star players.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

Please, just because a female is drunk, regardless of age, does not give someone the right to assault them which he pled guilty to by the way.

Should she have drank underage? No, she shouldn't have but the fact is most teenagers experiment with alcohol it doesn't mean her future should be destroyed.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ScousePhil

it says that he pled guilty to misdemeanour's charges. in what world is rape a misdemeanour's offense?

it says that the rape charges were dropped. meaning that what he plead guilty to was separate charges.

you cannot plead, much less be convicted of charges that do not exist.

furthermore, whatever he plead guilty to (the article conveniently does not say) he was sentenced with community service and "anger management". this would be pretty unusual sentencing for a sex offender. there was probably a fight or something at the party.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join