It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man jailed for tortilla dough Deputies charged him with cocaine possession

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

2. Another contributing factor was probably the language barrier. He's been in the US well over 20 years and still doesn't speak the language. If I lived in another country for 2 years I'm sure I'd be speaking the language in 2 years. Heck, any 5 year old can speak the language enough to get by.

It doesn't say he doesnt speak the language. The article.said he doesnt speak it well. There's a significant difference. Perhaps you just misread. Being in this country so long, I would think you could read english :-)

a legal resident who understands a fair amount of English but doesn't speak it well,

And while I suppose that MIGHT excuse the officers a LITTLE, it doesnt explain why they said he was drunk after SEVERAL alcohol tests proved he wasn't, nor does it explain why it took them FOUR DAYS to figure out tortilla dough wasn't 'coc aine'.

edit on 8-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Something with this story doesnt sound right at all. I did notice that aside from the chiefs comment, all the info came from the victims side. Not being able to remeber a 4 day period is a red flag and can denote medical, psychological as well as possible drug use and sife effects.

I am not sure how he can be found guilty of a crime if he never went to court or entered a plea. Trying him without him being present is a clear violation of due process.

Im not sure why or what was rushed through the lab process. A field test kit could have resolved part of the proboem, but they would still need to have a crime lab analysis for offical evidentiary acceptance.

Nothing in this incident sounds right at all.. on either side.

Indeed. There are a lot of questions left un-answered. The article doesn't even seem to mention when it actually occurred.The Asheville Citizen Times isn't exactly known for journalistic excellence. Hopefully more will come out soon.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Now struggling to reclaim his truck and dog that were taken away

Excuse me? There shouldn't be any struggle to reclaim what rightfully belongs to him. The police wrongfully arrested him and confiscated his belongings; if he is not guilty, he should have them returned.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by trollz

Excuse me? There shouldn't be any struggle to reclaim what rightfully belongs to him. The police wrongfully arrested him and confiscated his belongings; if he is not guilty, he should have them returned.

This is one of the other issues I am having issues with. Property, like a vehilce can be seized if used for drug transport. Since they dropped that, and he was not intoxicated, it should be a simple return of the items from evidence.

Ive looked around trying to find more info, and all the articles I see link bak to just the primary article. If this is true, I am at a loss for words.. Even a person who is just fresh out of the police acdemy would know better than to pull some of the stunts that reportedly took place.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Even a person who is just fresh out of the police acdemy would know better than to pull some of the stunts that reportedly took place.

Are you familiar with police procedure in the South? Buncombe County has an ongoing history of problems with corruption. I'm not shocked in the slightest, nor will I be when the arresting officer receives nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Did you note the part f the article that he was stopped in Texas and police there also thought the dough was coke? They tested in n the spot and released him no charge.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Even a person who is just fresh out of the police acdemy would know better than to pull some of the stunts that reportedly took place.

Are you familiar with police procedure in the South? Buncombe County has an ongoing history of problems with corruption. I'm not shocked in the slightest, nor will I be when the arresting officer receives nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Did you note the part f the article that he was stopped in Texas and police there also thought the dough was coke? They tested in n the spot and released him no charge.

I also take notice that the 2 agencies who stopped him before his arrest, didnt really give a reason for those stops. Now that this has made the news, and again if the article is accurate, the FBI needs to investigate for a 1983 violation.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I'm sure driving while Mexican is illegal on the 40 or the 10.. Have you ever driven it, especially west to east? They have police road blocks all over the place.

whats a "!983"?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

2. Another contributing factor was probably the language barrier. He's been in the US well over 20 years and still doesn't speak the language. If I lived in another country for 2 years I'm sure I'd be speaking the language in 2 years. Heck, any 5 year old can speak the language enough to get by.

It doesn't say he doesnt speak the language. The article.said he doesnt speak it well. There's a significant difference. Perhaps you just misread. Being in this country so long, I would think you could read english :-)

a legal resident who understands a fair amount of English but doesn't speak it well,

And while I suppose that MIGHT excuse the officers a LITTLE, it doesnt explain why they said he was drunk after SEVERAL alcohol tests proved he wasn't, nor does it explain why it took them FOUR DAYS to figure out tortilla dough wasn't 'coc aine'.

please state to me what the official language is in the U.S ?

as far as i know you guys have none,

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Moral of the story, dont drive a car through the South if you are brown.

That's one moral of the story.

Unfortunately, this criminal conduct is not limited to the south. Across our great country, officials are stopping drivers for the heinous crime of driving-while-female, driving-while-brown and driving-while-black.

On average, over a dozen officers a week (nationwide) are formally charged with criminal activity. If you understand just what these people openly get away with (like false charges), you understand that the actual rates of criminal conduct by police are orders of magnitude higher. The caliber, intellect and integrity of these people is simply too low and the situation is made all the worse because they cover for each other.

A perfect example occurred a few years ago. A 14 year-old-child was beaten to death at a "Sheriffs bootcamp" in Florida. The surveillance video released by the facility was degraded so much that you could not distinguish between a person from a tree. Then a state doctor performed an autopsy which blamed the death on a preexisting medical condition. This diagnosis was thrown out later after protests and a new autopsy.

It's time to take back our country .... and our damn police.....

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by trollz

He should be given his property back ..... along with a silver platter containing the balls of the miscreant that filed false charges on him.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

whats a "!983?

A Federal civil rights violation.

42 USC 1983

Covers people who are acting under color of law, IE Police Officers. If we violate a person civil rights, it falls under that law.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
So very sad that this and similar stories are popping up everywhere in america.

Police in u.s are horrible.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
So very sad that this and similar stories are popping up everywhere in america.

Police in u.s are horrible.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

"cheese, shrimp and tortilla and tamale dough"

why it took them FOUR DAYS to notice it wasn't coc aine.

Perhaps the smell alerted them, if they could smell it with noeses full of flour.

The intoxication part that's just pigs maxing out their arrest stats.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The cops noses were already numb because of doing coke earlier so they couldn't smell it to see if it was coke. They know they are told not to do drugs they illegally steal till after they get off their criminal job....What's wrong with these guys???

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
um......um......1 day?.....2 days?!.......3?!!!

4 days to figure out it was cheese, shrimp & dough.

comeon!!
where the F do they recruit these cops? the dish pit at chuckie cheese?

"to serve and protect our interests ($)"

disgusting.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I said nothing explains the four days. That's inexcusable.

But other than the inexcusable 4 days I've been subject to some similar treatment to him, and I'm the same race as the cops that arrested me.

I changed lanes without using a turn signal. I got pulled over and the cops said I was weaving all over the road. It was 1 am and there wasn't anybody else on the road so that's why I didn't use a turn signal when I changed lanes, I didn't think there was anybody there to see it.

They gave me a field sobriety test (walk a straight line, turn around, etc), and my knees were shaking because I was nervous so I stumbled a little bit when I turned around just from nervousness. So they arrested me and impounded my car. They gave me an accurate breathalyzer test at the police station and it showed I wasn't drunk so they let me go, but my car was impounded so I had to pay to get it out, even though I didn't feel I did anything wrong. I had to pay something like $50 to get my car out of the impound lot, which really made me mad, but there really wasn't much I could do about it except pay it if I wanted my car back. I suppose I could have sued them to recover it, but I made more than $50 a day and I would have had to take the day off of work and not get paid, so I still would have lost money even if I won a lawsuit to get my $50 back. So I just let it drop.

But if I was that guy in the OP story, and I had to pay for not only 4 days, but I also lost $400 worth of food in the process, I probably would sue to get compensated, that would make it worthwhile.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
thats what the problem is COPS "lack common sense" it has been trained OUT of them.
they do not want them to think.. just act !

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
we pay taxes so cops can have training and they cant tell coke from mexican food? FIRED!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
It seems like the police state in America is getting stronger. I'm sure the arresting officers were wanting a big arrest to add a notch to their belt and when they pulled over a Mexican man with broken english they thought the hit the jackpot. I really hope this man wins a huge settlement from that police department.

The US already incarcerates more people than any other country, how much higher does the per capita incarceration have to go before the average American realizes that we have have become a police/prison state? With privatization of prisons happening everywhere and more arrestable offenses being added to the books things will get only get worse.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join