It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

6/2(1+2)=9 if you think other wise your wrong

page: 1
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
i just had a 30 minute argument with a person going to college to be a doctor there a sophmore and get straight A's the person said over and over that it was 1 this makes me so mad that this person will be working on patients in the upcoming years and what makes it worse is 3 other people on the "future doctors" campus agreed that it was 1 one of the people told me to go to a website and i did and got the answer 9 so then they told me the website was wrong this is a simple problem that a college student should be able to do i am american but i now understand why other countries call us stupid Americans

www.mathway.com...




posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by darkpassenger23
 


According to the Order of Operations, it does indeed equal 9... Anyone who tells you different needs to go back to school...



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by darkpassenger23
 


I was going to say 17..



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
reply to post by darkpassenger23
 


According to the Order of Operations, it does indeed equal 9... Anyone who tells you different needs to go back to school...


I got 9 also. learned that in the 9th grade...



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
6/2(1+2) is the same thing as (6/2)(1+2). The answer still results in 9.


6/2(1+2) = 6/2(3) = 3(3) = 9

Same as:

(6/2)(1+2) = (3)(3) = 9



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I came up with 9 also. It's been 8 years since I graduated highschool... but thats a very simply math equation...



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
nine! i dont even see how to get 1



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The Order of Operations means that the answer is nine. I learned that one in the seventh grade with the lovely mnemonic of Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
i am glad the people of ats are smart enough to understand simple math lol its just the fact that 10 years from now the doctors will be the same people that couldn't solve this simple math problem



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
PEMDAS = Parenthesis, exponents, multiplication/divison, addition, subtraction. that's the order of operations.

6/2(1+2) - so first we do the Parenthesis = 1+2=3

now our problem looks like this: 6/2(3). when there is multiplication or division in the problem, the order of operations are performed from left to right, so next we do the division: 6/2=3.

finally we have 3(3) or 3 times 3, which equals 9.


so, yup, order of operations. i am a math teacher. just finished this lesson with my students.



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkpassenger23
i am glad the people of ats are smart enough to understand simple math lol its just the fact that 10 years from now the doctors will be the same people that couldn't solve this simple math problem

Thats swell and all. However i would like to see some more punctuation in your sentences sir.



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Believe it or not, but there's already a 24 page full out WAR on this subject.

Link - 6÷2(1+2)=?


9


edit on 7-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Distributive property says do the parentheses first, even though nobody ever puts a simple addition problem in parentheses (there would be at least one variable). So:

6 / 2(3) = 6/6 = 1



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Parenthesis are first right...so once you get 6/2(3) you still have to multiply to get the parenthesis away from the 3...



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The equation is ambiguous.
Both answers are valid.

I've seen video on YouTube where a string theorist would accept both answers.

The equation needs some cleaning up IMO.



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Well, let us all cheer up. That person the OP refers to is studying to become a doctor and not an architect or air flight controller. I think his chances for a successful career in politics are great too...



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaberTruth
Distributive property says do the parentheses first, even though nobody ever puts a simple addition problem in parentheses (there would be at least one variable). So:

6 / 2(3) = 6/6 = 1



Only if the problem is presented as 6÷[2(1+2)] =

Otherwise PEMDAS always rules out, addition in the ( ) or not.



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SaberTruth
 


I think you're gonna get a lot of stick for this one



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Retracted
edit on 7-5-2011 by Frater210 because: I was wrong.



posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkpassenger23
i just had a 30 minute argument with a person going to college to be a doctor there a sophmore and get straight A's the person said over and over that it was 1 this makes me so mad that this person will be working on patients in the upcoming years and what makes it worse is 3 other people on the "future doctors" campus agreed that it was 1 one of the people told me to go to a website and i did and got the answer 9 so then they told me the website was wrong this is a simple problem that a college student should be able to do i am american but i now understand why other countries call us stupid Americans

www.mathway.com...

Wow scary!!Hope he/she is better at biology then at math!



new topics




 
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join