It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop's rape comment sparks wave of 'SlutWalks'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Cop's rape comment sparks wave of 'SlutWalks'

www.msnbc.msn.com

BOSTON — An international series of protests known as SlutWalks, sparked by a Toronto police officer's flippant comment that women should avoid dressing like "sluts" to avoid being raped or victimized, is taking root in the United States.

Some women and men who protest dress in nothing more remarkable than jeans and T-shirts, while others wear provocative or revealing outfits to bring attention to "slut-shaming," or shaming women for being sexual, and the treatment of sexual assault victims.

"It was taking the blame off the rapist and on the victim," said Nicole Sullivan, 21, a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
awesome!
like i always say, 'i love a good protest!'.
i gotta' feeling that mainstream christian churches got something to say about this.
sorry, mean no offense, but the protestors that soon protest these protestors should have some interesting signs.
women should be able to wear what ever they want, but it is pretty obvious that there is a point where 'gawking' should be expected.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I'm glad to see this response as his remarks were very low and uncalled for. He shouldn't be speaking in public with that attitude. Good thing women are more in control of their impulses when those bare chested men are jogging about in the summer, eh? And drum roll please, we're the majority! 52% female by age 20 and then widening more so to the feminine. So which gender needs to get in line and start dressing more modestly?

edit on 7-5-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
any protest called slutwalk is one I will defend with my life. I suggest all sluts to join in this, and stand up to the man by dressing as skanky as you can to prove you can, and not for my enjoyment... but for yours. This is the greatest thing I have ever heard of.

Plus it is a great way to weed out the women I will not be marrying

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
A slutwalk is for sluts. How does this protect women from getting raped? It's just an excuse to protest for professionals. I predict soon there will be protesting classes available at Universoiyt with full degrees available

I like the naked Peta protestors. They look so cold next time I'll take a fur coat to throw over them to keep them warm.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Chesster

My grandmother might have joined to stand up for women's rights, and dignity, though she was a saint. The name was chosen in honor of his smutty comments.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Could this be the emergence of spectator protesting? The only thing that I can see that could possibly get hurt are my eyes and maybe my neck from over gawking.

On a serious note not to blame the women at all, but some sick people will choose one victim over another based solely on their appearance. I would say don't stop dressing or feel forced to dress a certain way, but definitely use caution dressing in revealing clothing in certain areas at certain times.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I wonder if this cop would like to explain his remarks to the millions of people, both male and female, who have been raped as children.

Or to the women who are out in jogging suits (hardly slut-wear) and get raped in the park.

Or to the men who are given roofies by women and raped.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
i started a thread about this when i received a facebook invite to the protest that happened in my city, theres another article linked in my thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

i still dont understand how this is supposed to help put an end to rape. my opinion was that the whole thing was a poorly thought out idea that had good intentions, but maybe didnt focus on the right theme. i looked in the facebook event after the walk had taken place and i saw some pictures that i felt were inappropriate. i saw a photo of a young boy holding a sign that said something like "my mom is a slut and proud of it" and i saw another photo with a little girl, probably around 5 years old, wearing a little leopard print costume thing over her clothes and stuck to her stomach was a sign that said "does this make me look slutty officer?"...i really dont think that those are good messages to put on kids that young.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Actually I ran across an interesting article in Der Spiegel yesterday about a feminist group in the Ukraine called Femen who protests a wide range of issues topless.

They are a pretty effective group using the power of their sex appeal to gain more attention for their messages.

Mostly all young college women, their brains, good looks, and powerful political messages are making quite a name for themselves throughout Europe.

Here is a link to the articles.

*****WARNING SOME PARTIAL NUDITY IN THE LINKED STORY*******PARENTAL SUPERVISION STRONGLY RECOMENDED*****MAY LEAD TO BLINDNESS IN SOME ADULTS*******HAIRY PALMS IN OTHERS******

*snip*

Mod Edit: Removed link containing nudity.
edit on 5/7/2011 by maria_stardust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Good if you protest in this I will film it and post your images on facebook and have you fired and take your job position. Times are tough. Id rather have my job than worry bout some stupid comments. Thanks for your job

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
if everybody stops to think about it

in a lot of places you simply dont get the car could buy, simply to avoid kidnapping and things like that

its just a way of trying to avoid problems ... you could use the same logic for this

anyways, rapists will always exist, no matter what, this didnt start today, its been happening since beginning of humanity, so, whatever ...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Caution: Adult Language

I think the video pretty much sums up my thoughts.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
In a few years this will be televised and sponsored by redbull and absolut.

Honestly though from the few very tame pictures I've seen I'd call this a massive attack of the sillies rather than a protest. From all the boas and fake nails/lashes you would think it was an outtake from Priscilla Queen of the Desert. Most of the protestors were acting pretty goofy too. All in all I think it was just early Halloween for about all but 10-20%.

Besides women in revealing clothing? Nothing new. Women in revealing clothing made up to look like they have been assaulted? Now that would be shocking and in my opinion more relevant. It would cut out the gawking for sure.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Good if you protest in this I will film it and post your images on facebook and have you fired and take your job position. Times are tough. Id rather have my job than worry bout some stupid comments. Thanks for your job

Posting pictures of someone to gain a job or some other benefit is a very low class way of obtaining said job. If I were in management in the company you were applying to, I would be upset that one of my potential employees would be so quick to sell out another without discussing it with them first.

To the OP: The original comment made by the Police Officer was made in Canada. Where they said something along the lines of: To prevent sexual assault, girls can stop dressing like sluts.

Now, in Canada, that type of assault includes everything from rape to patting someone on the bum. So whether the Cop was talking about the former or the latter, I'm not sure.

What I am sure of, is that these protests (and the original comment) have been blown way out of proportion.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I dont care what anyone thinks.

I like looking at certain sluts.

Sluts are fun to watch, let them be sluts wherever they want.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
if ur aiming to be treated like an object, you will be. i see girls (not all, but quite a few) who use their bodies to get through life, then complain when they're thought of only as sex objects.

wear whatever you want, but don't shy away from what it means about you.

btw, i had two close friends raped. one was raped out of the blue, and the other dressed slutty and got waisted at a party. who do you think i feel worse for?

new topics

top topics

join