It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Lightning fan outwitted petty HOA over playoff sign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

"Whoever it is that has too much time on their hands took a picture on Monday, turned it in and then I got the letter that said, 'No signs allowed except for security signs,'" said Paul, who shared the story and the letter with the Reddit hockey community, where he's an active member.

His HOA limits lawn signs to ones that (provide free advertising for) alert others that the house is protected by some kind of alarm system or security service. "I was pissed. I was infuriated," recalled Paul, "and then I was like, 'OK, fine. If we can only have security signs, then I'll make it a security sign."

Yahoo News

This is just ridiculous... This has bumped my hatred for HOA up another notch. I hate these groups with a passion, before you buy a home, I urge you to make sure there is no HOA operating there. Unless you like having petty, nitpicking neighbors telling you what you can and cannot do with YOUR OWN property. Also make sure that the "town board" you move to aren't little control freaks as well. Sad state of being we live in where not only are we taxed to the eyeballs every year for owning a house, but we have nazi control freaks that dictate to us what we can and cannot put on our own property.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Protected By: GO BOLTS! Security

He's right about the flag thing. It looks ridiculous, but hey why not at this point?

I knew long ago that I would NEVER buy a home in an HOA community. I prefer country over Pleasantville any day.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I haven't checked for any updates on this HOA tale of terror but it really makes me shake my head in disgust:

www.news4jax.com...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by forall2see

Yeah, love the country myself too. I am always trying to spread awareness about HOA.... I really don't see how these groups are even legal honestly.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by NiteNGale

Sickening.... Some HOA in NY actually had in the contract that you can't have kids..... Insanity.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
HOA's aren't all that bad. I refused to live in one for a while because of all the bad things I had heard. But then I ended up living in a community being taken over by Gypsies. These people were terrible neighbors and there were dozens of these households. So now I live in a moderate HOA where I know that people have made a conscious decision to live here. Its quite and looks nice and I couldn't be happier. And for that luxury I have to pay about $500 a year.

HOA's are kind of like America I guess, you have rules which take away self liberties but offer protection. Of course some HOA's are more severe then others, but when people disagree with a rule they have a specific target they can blame it on. When you live in a normal neighborhood you can still get screwed over but you don't really have anyone to blame it on so you just go about your business and chalk it up to bad luck.

When I lived in the gypsy neighboorhood I think the police or city was trying to screw with them as much as possible because we had city workers that would constantly check for violations like are your trash cans stored out of view or off the street in time, or your car parked the right direction, or grass height within city code. So I got hit a couple times there, but I couldn't blame that on an HOA.

I know quite a few have rules like that you can't park a truck in the driveway, it has to go in the garage. Now this may sound offensive to some, but like in the case of the gypsies, they ALL do construction work so everyday the street would be chock full of big Ford and Chevy trucks parked in all the driveways and along the street. So driving up and down the street was a hassle and I got to see a nice big truck in front of my house. So thats the risk of having freedom...other people get freedom as well.

As far as an HOA not allowing kids, that sounds like a neighboorhood that wants things to be quite and safe from the general chaos that kids can bring. People are looking for that particular enviornment by moving there, probably older people or the umm "yuppies" that think social or materialism is more important then family. But it would not be good for general neighboorhoods.

join