It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Filubustering a Vote by reading text of previous bill into Record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Has any US Politician ever considered filibustering a vote on a bill by taking the time to read the complete text of another bill (or even the one being voted on) into the official record?

My thoughts are this - if someone wanted to filibuster the vote on President Obama's Health Care bill, they could have simply taken the HOURS it would have needed to read the entire bill into the record.

Anyone know if this has ever been done?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Has any US Politician ever considered filibustering a vote on a bill by taking the time to read the complete text of another bill (or even the one being voted on) into the official record?

My thoughts are this - if someone wanted to filibuster the vote on President Obama's Health Care bill, they could have simply taken the HOURS it would have needed to read the entire bill into the record.

Reading Obamacare would take WEEKS...which is why nobody read it prior to voting on it.
edit on 7-5-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
us congressman cant read

thats why the pay their staffs to read them then they get the cliff notes.

obama care should have never seen the light of day but it has

and if you think i will ever be repealed think again.

all those crooks need to be fired.

an interesting read here:

articles.cnn.com...
OLITICS

Senate Democrats on Wednesday introduced legislation that would tighten rules on the use of the filibuster in the legislative chamber.

heres another short article

peterjenningsproject.blogspot.com...

The Republicans’ frustration with Democratic filibusters of Bush nominees to appeals courts reached a new level in May 2005. The Republican Senate leaders announced that, if the filibusters continued, they would attempt a drastic procedure – one that soon would be called the “nuclear option” for its capacity to destroy the capacity of the Senate to work together at all.

i report you decide

edit on 7-5-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
John Boehner filibustered the Cap and Trade legislation by reading terrible parts of the bill, often making sarcastic jokes about the absurd government intrusion into our lives, it reminded me of Nigel Farage, a worthwhile YT search. I used to have a link to Boehner doing this, but it's down (as usual), and all I could find on YT was this video which is only the very beginning of it. Since I couldn't find that, I figured I'd throw in Jim DeMint telling us on the floor that 90% of bills are passed unread with unanimous consent, and those who hold out to read it are hassled to get it back quickly. Jim DeMint has lately been very good people, he's supported the Tea Party and fought back against the establishment Republicans who were attacking Tea Party candidates. Of course, many of these people still have some delusions about the Free Market and endless war, but we'll take what we can get and wait for the removal of the Illuminati. Which I see happening by June 21st, the Summer Solstice, though likely earlier.

I lied, here is 10 minutes of John Boehner filibustering.
edit on 7-5-2011 by SincerelySarcastic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
They wouldn't dare read it because then they would understand it and it would challenge their preconceptions of the lies they tell themselves. If half of those guys actually read the bills, they'd vote totally different.

I remember Kucinich's response when they asked him why he voted against the patriot act. He said "Well, because I read it..."

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

This is how filibustering works and is done, you talk about something completely irrelevant or unsubstantial to the topic at hand and redirect the convo to what you are talking about. To filibuster is to disrupt the preceding civilly.

Any member could use their designated time to talk about whatever they want but it is up to The Speaker or Acting President Of The chamber in order to allow the item in or even be heard.
edit on 7-5-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join