It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Southern Buttermilk Biscuits! (ATS Version: UFO Pastries!!!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Ever wonder how to make light and fluffy biscuits? It's super easy and the results blow the canned variety out of the water!!! Try 'em, you'll love 'em! ...And they're just in time for Mother's Day!!

Note: I tried my absolute best to convert measurements for those not using standard. I researched each ingredient separately. I have included videos of myself to illustrate the more confusing aspects of biscuit making.

Ingredients:

+ 2 cups (~220-256 g) unbleached all-purpose flour, (plus more for dusting your hands and surface)
+ 1/4 teaspoon (1.1 g) baking soda
+ 1 tablespoon (15 g) baking powder (use one without aluminum; 3tsp = one tablespoon)
+ 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
+ 6 tablespoons (85.2g) unsalted or salted butter, very cold (I used salted, cut the butter into tiny pieces)
+ 3/4 (175-200 ml) cup buttermilk (approx)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Set the oven to 400 F (205 C).

Mix the first 4 ingredients together in a large bowl (or cooking pot as I did
)

Once mixed, cut all of the butter into the flour. (The video below demonstrates how to cut butter in flour by hand. You can also cut butter with a pastry blender, a fork, or pulsing in a food processor.)

After the butter is cut into the flour is should resemble coarse cornmeal and hold together when pressed in your hand. (See video below.)

Slowly add the buttermilk and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together but isn't wet. You can add more flour if it gets a little too wet to obtain the right texture (flour your hands). (See video below.)

Now you get to make a choice!

You can either flatten/roll the dough out to 1/4"-1/2" thickness and cut them with a circle cutter... ORRRRRR...

You can do it my way (the easy fun way!) which yields the same yummy results, but aren't that "perfect traditional" shape.

Flour up your hands. Take a small handful of dough, shape into a ball (like meatballs) and flatten onto the pan with your floured paws. (These have a unique shape, kind of like a scone.)

Put into the oven for 10-15 minutes, the tops should be golden brown. Be careful not to over-bake!

-----------------------------------
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9b279ada1f0d.jpg[/atsimg]
---------------------------------

Biscuits can be served with butter, jam, honey, meats--whatever your heart desires! They are delicious.

To customize you can add your favorite ingredients or try.... a couple handfuls of cheddar cheese, a pinch of old bay spice, and 1-2 tablespoons garlic powder for yummy garlic cheddar biscuits! Maybe cinnamon and sugar is up your alley. Or maybe try brushing them with melted butter as they bake. (Can you tell this girl loves biscuits??????????????/)

Good luck and eat up!!!!

edit on 7-5-2011 by donatellanator because: extra DIV

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Thank you! I will try this out, im trying to fimd the perfect biscut recipe!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by donatellanator

a trick i learned in culinary school with the butter is put it in the freezer, till its really hard,then use a cheese shredder and shred it into the mix, then loosely mix it up and press the mix togeather into biscuits but not too firmly,u can also add cheddar shreds to the mix for added flavor, it makes the biscuits layered and fluffy
edit on 7-5-2011 by CUJOCREEP because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by CUJOCREEP

a trick i learned in culinary school with the butter is put it in the freezer, till its really hard,then use a cheese shredder and shred it into the mix, then loosely mix it up and press the mix togeather into biscuits but not too firmly,u can also add cheddar shreds to the mix for added flavor, it makes the biscuits layered and fluffy
edit on 7-5-2011 by CUJOCREEP because: (no reason given)

This is a good tip.
Thanks!

Personally, I like the feeling of cutting the butter in with my hands. It makes it feel like my heart and soul is in it. But for melting buttery pieces, that is an awesome idea --maybe mix the 2! Love butter.

Butter can be cut by hand, with a pastry blender, or with a food processor. I will add that to my OP.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by showintail

You're welcome!! Good luck on your hunt. Maybe try the garlic cheddar variation and brush melted butter onto them as they bake. Those are my pig out fave.

edit on 7-5-2011 by donatellanator because: extra DIV

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
S&F for you.

Thank you for making ATS seem a little normal to the girlfriend.

I am going to have her try this recipe out sometime..

Thank you.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
S&F for you.

Thank you for making ATS seem a little normal to the girlfriend.

I am going to have her try this recipe out sometime..

Thank you.

Why not make them for her and tell her where you got the recipe..?

I bet you'd get a special gift later that night...
I know I like it when my fiancee cooks for me.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
A song I found!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Great thread!! I have a biscuit recipe here I use that you also put in green onions, diced ham and cheddar it is SOOOO yum!! But I find the biscuits quite heavy and hard
I think i'll try your recipe next time and throw in the "extras" thanks a lot

Michelle

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I made the biscuits! They were awesome! Funny I have tried a few similar recipes, and they are like rocks, lol, thanks again!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by showintail

I made the biscuits! They were awesome! Funny I have tried a few similar recipes, and they are like rocks, lol, thanks again!

I am so glad you enjoyed them!! Try the cheese variation..mmmmm

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I did, lol, wiyh lots of spinach mixed in!

top topics

join