It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress scrambling to draft 'do not track' laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Congress scrambling to draft 'do not track' laws

www.sfgate.com

Lawmakers said Friday they will introduce two "do not track" privacy bills that would allow people to block companies from following their activity on the Internet.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5/7/2011 by Mirthful Me because: Title

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
When I read this, it let joy rain from inside. I was so excited! Finally, the flood gates will open to privacy laws that benefit US instead of the corporations that want to track our every move.

It seems every law is just more scrutiny on our rights. This one actually opens the scope of ours.

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Never happen/...more "Bread and Circuses"..pap for the masses...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I seriously doubt that even if these proposals get passed any government will abide by them. Just trying to make the masses feel as if they have hope or security. Wow, so crazy as I was typing this an ad at the top of my other window popped u for guitar center pro audio gear. How did that site know I'm a dj?
edit on 7-5-2011 by tetsuoatx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
LOL I wonder how much of this "hurry" was generated by the fact that they now are aware they themselves are being tracked based on the apple gps database in their phones and devices and who knows what else.

There is a reason they're doing it, and I'm confident it's not to protect private citizens privacy, but their own.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
And from the other side of the coin is this article as well as the actual the sky is falling letter and a discussion by techies on slashdot.

Enjoy!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
As much as I would love this to happen, I don't think it will in the near future.
Most likely scenario (and this my opinion), another false flag will occur to enforce more anti-privacy laws.
edit on 7-5-2011 by prolific because: woopie

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Stringycheeseman

The Feds don't want the phone companies doing this important work twice... They just want to streamline the tracking process by being the only "Big Brother" on the block????

Each day our freedom is being choked by the noose of "homeland security". This is just another attempt by our leaders to regulate the control over the "flock"!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

I agree. They are throwing the public a bone. Not that I wont take their bone, if indeed it is one. But this smacks to me of, "oh oh, people arent happy, we better give them a crumb."

Note to Congress;

Its gonna take a lot more than crumbs to make us think you arent corporate controlled puppets.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Right.

Pass some trivial "do not track" bill but leave the PA and the massive spy centers in place.

Makes sense to me.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Companies use information in lots of ways. My wife opened an account in another bank from the one she had been using. She lives in Illinois (long story) and I live in Georgia at an address she has never lived at. I started receiving letters offering services to her father, who has been dead over 20 years, at my address which could only have been linked to my wife and her dead father through a third bank. Two of the three banks mentioned above had recently merged but had no known connection to the third bank, where my wife opened the new account, and from which I was receiving the offers in her long dead father's name. And to top it off, none of the banks mentioned should have had access to ANY INFO AT ALL about the long dead father since he was never listed on any documents in any way at the three banks and had, when alive, never banked at any of them either.

I know that the above is convoluted but that is exactly my point; where the hell did they get her father's name, her maiden name which she hasn't used since long before his death, and how did they link it through her and a bank I never did business with to my address which my wife had never used either.

If you don't think someone is keeping long term records of all your data just read that little story above over again and scratch your head along with me.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Stringycheeseman

My thinking on this subject is fairly direct and to the point. They wouldnt have to scramble some half baked attempt at a law to cover this issue, if the government had have dealt with this tracking issue when it began, rather than having to fall over themselves to cover an epidemic.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

From the Slashdot link
Google and Facebook are warning legislators of dire consequences if California passes a 'do-not-track' bill. The proposed law would require companies doing online business in the Golden State to offer an 'opt-out' privacy mechanism for consumers. Senate Bill 761 'would create an unnecessary, unenforceable and unconstitutional regulatory burden on Internet commerce,' reads the sky-is-falling protest letter bearing the stamp-of-disapproval from Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Amex, Acxiom, Experian, Allstate, Time-Warner, MPAA, ESA and others. 'The measure would negatively affect consumers who have come to expect rich content and free services through the Internet, and would make them more vulnerable to security threats.

Oh, look: All these corporations are fighting this bill on our behalf. How thoughtful.

Seriously. Remember when the internetz didn't have all this "rich content and free services"? I don't remember suffering over it too much. In fact, as I recall it was a lot less corporate and a good deal more libertarian. Just give me an opt-out button and don't do me any favors....

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
And what exactly is gonna stop them anyways from tracking and recording everything you do anyways,they can make all these laws all they like,but you know the truth is they are gonna do what they want regardless,telling the mass's that their privacy is protected is just to hush them up and keep them sweet,u beleive anything thats said these days then your a moron and deserve everything you get

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by KDM_Souljah

it's regarding advertisers tracking you for marketing purposes, not the government. The bill in no way relates to government tracking of your activity.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
This law might have a chance... after all who besides politicians have the most to hide... even going on playboy.com would get most to step down if people had proof. No politician wants to feel like any hacker can use the tracking companies as a mine for information on things to black mail with.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Who do you think it will protect us or THEM?
not us.
edit on 8-5-2011 by buddha because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join