It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If God is all loving..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Let's assume that God exists, and God is all loving, all forgiving and we people know this, for a fact. No matter what you do, God will always love you and forgive you. Let's also assume that we have a conscience that guides us and directs us away from what is evil. Let's assume on judgment day, it is not God that judges us, but our conscience... you know, whenever you get that "guilty" feeling when you do something wrong, it is not God judging you, it's you judging you?

Now, if we realize that God is LOVE no matter what (He cannot change His essence, otherwise He wouldn't be God anymore) and we can suspend our conscience or create some sort of moral relativity, can we do whatever we want without repercussions?

If God loves me no matter what and I train myself to no longer feel guilt, then can I do whatever I want?

- - - - - - - - - -

As a Philosophy major, I intended my question to be philosophical in nature, not religious, however mods moved it to the Religion section (not sure if it's because of me or replies from other users). How do I delete this post? I don't want to get into a religious debate, when it was meant to be philosophical.

edit on 5/7/2011 by EternalThought because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Yes, you can.

For more information on how to achieve this state of mind see Goldman Sachs training guide.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by EternalThought

You have free will do you not... You're free to believe whatever you will, do whatever you will. IF you feel guilty about the things you do, perhaps theres an issue with whatever activities you speak of.

No matter what you do you accumulate your own Karma, which will come back to you one way or the other.

So as i said, do whatever you like

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I have no idea why people think he is all loving when he is clearly a mean god who is willing to kill whoever goes against his word.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
I have no idea why people think he is all loving when he is clearly a mean god who is willing to kill whoever goes against his word.

that of course depends on who you think wrote the bible?

Was it God, or men with agendas?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019

Because man's basis for what is right, what is love, and what is pure, clearly dictates what God should be, amirite?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

The men who wrote the Bible say they were inspired by God, that God wrote it through them. But that's a circular reasoning since the ones who said it was inspired by God are the ones who wrote it.

And of course it was 'men' who wrote the Bible, women never would have written it like that!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
You have free will, but there are consequences. God loves you no matter what, but you will have to pay the karmic consequences for your actions. God loves even those of us lost in the illusion of ego. They will spend many lifetimes doing good deeds to offset that which they have done. What they did we construe as wrong. In truth, it is only what they needed for their soul to progress along a path of learning.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SaveTheWolves

This was my point... so the question remains... How is God nasty like the one poster wrote?

Doesn't make sence to me

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I don't fully agree with your angle but I S&F you anyway.
This is what religion is, a best guess and none of us truly know.
We just feel around in the dark till we find what we can.
You sir or madame are looking for God is all, and that is an honorable pursuit.
To answer your question about doing what we want.
I believe this is what the christian religions were trying to prevent by saying "God is a jealous God" Etc.
But I would say yes do what you want.
Heres my angle, I believe in God, my God is all Powerful, so powerful we don't even have a word to describe how big.
Knowing this he see the past, present, and future.
Therefore would a smart God create a soul, with the full intent of damning said soul?
God does know the future and how you will act.
Therefore the idea of free will is laughable, he knows what is gonna happen.
I believe we are all God, just a tiny piece and we are experiencing life on this plane.
Everything we do is for the grander plan and is an integral part of the bigger picture.
Hope it helps.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I agree! There are too many people who speak for God. And then top it off with all the people who interpret the words that those who spoke for God said. I say let God or Creator speak for him or herself. Look at nature, to me that's the word of God/Creator. But then that's only my opinion.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Why did this conversation turn into a Bible bashing one.

First of all, it was a philosophical inquiry not a religious one.

Also, I gave you premises assuming "God is all Loving" .. just assume this for a minute and please don't go off tangent.

Thanks

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by stephinrazin
You have free will, but there are consequences. God loves you no matter what, but you will have to pay the karmic consequences for your actions. God loves even those of us lost in the illusion of ego. They will spend many lifetimes doing good deeds to offset that which they have done. What they did we construe as wrong. In truth, it is only what they needed for their soul to progress along a path of learning.

Most plausible reply so far. I was also thinking along the lines of Karma. Thanks for not going off-topic and sticking to the question.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
From what I know about God he views us as his children so look at it like this, if your kid tries to bite your dogs ear you know that the kid not only shouldn't do it because its not right but you also know the dog could bite back so you talk to your kid about why its not a good thing to be biting anyone or anything. The next day your kid does the same thing again they didn't learn and you know that for there own good you got to do something to teach them not to do it again.

I guess you know what I'm trying to say, the kid has free will to do it again but you as a father want your kid not to go around biting and you know at some point the dog will bite them back hurting them. our concise tell us its if it right or wrong but its up to us to decide what we are going to do right or wrong. I think your right in the end we are judged on what we did after we knew it was right or wrong.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Because religion is a very heated subject, people become passionate about it.
This is also an internet forum and via the anonymity some people speak abit more freely than they normally would in front of their peers.
Sure, i made a comment about the book, but that is my honest feeling.
The rest is purely my philosophical view.
Hope it helps.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I think that there is a not-so-fine difference between all that infinite all-powerful everything and beyond outside of time (except the part of God he created as our universe) definition that the God is , and what different religions or individuals tell us that God is.
Religions were created by people and people tend to falsely give human qualities to things, ideas and other living creatures. Love and forgiveness ,just as judgment or repercussion are just Human concepts.
My definition of what God is ,by the way, surely might be farther from truth then that of religions or other individuals. Definitely farther then the OP's one
edit on 7-5-2011 by ZeroKnowledge because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-5-2011 by ZeroKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

It all depends on what you believe and who's word you take. For example I had an experience (first link in my signature) that completely surprised me, and in the process also liberated me. I no longer look to others to tell me what to believe, I found the answer within myself (so-to-speak).

I know how difficult it is to get answers from other people, and it's even harder for you to believe what they have to say. That's completely understandable. I've been there myself. Maybe someday you'll have an experience like the one I had, and you won't need other people to tell you what God is or isn't. You'll just "know". It's a wonderful feeling and I'd wish it on anyone looking for 'religious' or spiritual answers. It's the best and sometimes the only way to understand what life is all about. Admittedly even then you might question yourself at times, but the feeling of 'knowing' can sometimes overpower these doubts.

In order to answer your question, first you'd have to know what God is, what it does and why it does it. Only then can you answer whether or not it is all-loving. Since you'll probably never find 100% proof of the existence of God (as described in the Bible for example) , you'll never feel like you know the answer to your question.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
As a Philosophy major, I intended my question to be philosophical in nature, not religious, however mods moved it to the Religion section (not sure if it's because of me or replies from other users).

How do I delete this post? I don't want to get into a religious debate, when it was meant to be philosophical.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The Philosophy forum is strictly for threads of a non-religious nature. The question you posed -- while philosophical -- is still a theological one.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

One's religion could be their philosophy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join