It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I gave my squash an aspirin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
So, to say I am a tedious gardener would be the understatement of the year. In fact I am admittedly a little OCD about it really. I have done everything from setting up an elaborate drip irrigation system to herding snails for a solid two weeks at midnight, armed with a flashlight and an empty milk carton. I've tried to go organic which is so difficult when it comes to disease and insects, especially in south Florida, where it never gets cold enough to thin the mosquito swarms, much less anything else.

I go out to the garden on the first of my usual three visits a day and notice that my squash, zucchini, broccoli, and tomatoes look a little sad. Like they haven't been watered in a few days, though I just watered the night before. I was puzzled to say the least.

No more than a couple hours later, I returned to find the leaves of all plants above are literally wilting away. In a panic I turned on the water in hopes of at least flushing out whatever had gotten in or on the leaves. Still no improvement...it just got worse really fast. Thay were dying and rapidly.

So I ran to the medicine cabinet and grabbed a bottle of aspirin...I know, I don't even know where this came from. In addition I grabbed the tums. So I poked 2 or 3 aspirin and tums in the soil near the stem turned the water back on and crossed my fingers.

Well low and behold it worked. By the end of the day the wilt had stopped progressing, and this morning the wilt had dried up and kind of like a scab of scar and the plants are perky. Even the leaves that were the most severely wilted seem to be fine.

So take it as you will. But I am gonna keep aspirin around for my plants from now own. Maybe it is because it is plant derived? The tums was for the calcium, that part I thought out before hand.

Does anyone know why this worked. Or does anyone have any reason I shouldn't do this, is it harmful in anyway?

Thanks.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Wow pretty fascinating. It's odd that you came up with it in the first place and then (odder?) that it worked at all.

I guess the next experiment would be with hydrocodone? Just avoid giving them any coke, your plants will NOT shut up...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Wetpaint72

Today, gardeners are encouraged to share the family aspirin bottle with stressed plants, as well as a wide range of fruits and vegetables. Why? As it turns out, salicylic acid and substances very like it are naturally produced by many plants in tiny amounts. In plants, these benign compounds awaken a number of natural protective responses, from increasing root length and strength to growing denser, stronger foliage.

In a number of studies, plants given aspirin water exhibited many of these protective responses. Treated plants grew faster and were better able to fend off pests and diseases than their untreated counterparts.

In garden trials, aspirin water increased the productivity of quite a few fruits, herbs and vegetables, including tomatoes, basil, peppers, eggplant and lots of others. Last summer, gardeners at the Organic Vegetable Garden at the University of Rhode Island in Kingston sprayed some of their crops with aspirin water and left a control group untreated. Their trials demonstrated that regular exposure to aspirin could indeed help plants grow better quite quickly.

www.seattlepi.com...

Good intuitive reaction! Good luck with your garden!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
That is really cool. You certainly have a "reen thumb" when it comes to nurturing the other "estate." I have heard of putting aspirin in the vase water for flowers before but wouldn't have thought to put it the soil!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Ev0lveUp

That is awesome. I thought for a min I was nuts. But it worked amazingly. Not only that it worked at all, but it was almost instant. Thank you so much for the article.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ev0lveUp

I was cursing and swearing, quite funny really. I was even thinking of writing monsanto and requesting some of their crap, and then sending them a gushy thank you letter for my beautifully lush GMO garden! Lol

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
Wow pretty fascinating. It's odd that you came up with it in the first place and then (odder?) that it worked at all.

I guess the next experiment would be with hydrocodone? Just avoid giving them any coke, your plants will NOT shut up...

Lol...too funny. Little shop of horrors anyone?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Yes, I know, ha ha. Also google tobacco and coffee sprays if you want more info on organic gardening- with less harsh chemicals.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

My gran and my mother always revived flowers which were wilting in a vase, by popping an aspirin in the water. I have always done the same and it works a treat.

Plants like coffee and tea too.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Amazing and great tip! I am an avid gardener too...in fact just got in from a 2 hour convention with my "babies" I would much rather spend hours digging around in my garden than just about anything else in the whole world. I shall try the aspirin trick next time I get a wilty plant! Once someone mentioned throwing it in the water in a vase of cut flowers I remembered hearing that a long time ago but had forgotten.

I personally never seem to have luck with a veggie garden...one year I spent copious amounts of time energy and money on a veggie garden to yield a grand total of 5 tomatoes, one green pepper and a completely ugly zucchini that was so odd looking I couldn't eat it! The next year I planted sunflowers in the same garden and they grew over 20 feet tall!! I have no clue where I went wrong with the veggies

Michelle

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129th

My family gardened when I was a kid, but this is my first garden in years. Did you read the above article about the aspirin. Amazing stuff. I have had terrible luck so far too. My plants, now they are better, are giant green lush...but I have only harvested two squash and two zucchini so far. My watermelons only get to the size of tennis balls....then they die. My friends think I'm nuts. But on a happier note...my jalapeños are looking like they may be edible. I had such delusions of grander. Saw myself delivering baskets of veggies to my friends and neighbors, canning tomatoes, making pickles....oh it was going to be swell!!!...lol freaking gardening is hard. If it had not been for the aspirin merical I was on the verge of digging it all up and setting it on fire...not really....but I thought it.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

LMAO!! Oh I had those same delusions of grandeur! I was going to can, and jar and freeze and feed the nation! All I got was one dinner of bacon and tomato sandwiches LOL. I may try again next year to see what I can accomplish. I wish I had tons of space to do it in though
My parents-in-law have huge beds of different veggies and I'm so jealous! Half of my 25 x 60 ft backyard is taken up by a big garage that we don't even use to put our car in. Maybe I can convince hubby to tear it down and give me some real room to play in!

Michelle

top topics

join