It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone got any information on AMITRIPTYLINE?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I saw this guy on PBS, Dr David Servan-Schreiber, who has written several books, "Instinct To Heal," & "Healing Without Freud Or Prozac," among them. The guy is phenomenal (imo). Some medical clinicians are naturally inclined to understanding the body's own ability to heal itself. He is one of them.

www.instincttoheal.org...

Below is his story:

www.youtube.com...
edit on 7-5-2011 by 0731JLVR because: Edit

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
When I was Dx with severe depression & PTSD 20+ years ago, this was the FIRST psych medication they put me on. I say FIRST because when it comes to psych meds it is 'hit & miss' with doctors!! I felt like a test subject for years because everything would help - but only temporarily - then the bottom would fall out even worse than before starting said drug!!! Elavil was just one of many.........They do not even know HOW most of these drugs work, for crying out loud! And, this is the case with mst people. They keep trying until they find one that seems to work. Then, for alot of the psych meds for depression, they say they are not addictive. Well, tell that to 1000's that try to get off these things!!

Because of this drug being a much 'older' one, it may be alot safer than the others - if prescribed for the right thing. I just do not see it helping with depression - pain & sleep?? That;s different and I can see it being prescribed for that because of it's sleep qualities.

They are called doctors and go through years of school to get that title. Then they have to continue with their education for as long as they practice. If you go to a doctor, there is no reason to not follow their advise.

Sorry, but I feel that for the majority, this is just total BS! Most doctors just treat the symptoms - with pills - instead of attacking the main issue causing the symptoms. Hell, my brother has had extreme pain in his stomach area for months....they ran a bunch of tests and cannot find anything wrong!! Pain does not just exist. Something causes it, for crying out loud!!

I believe the medical care, that most middle class (and lower) people receive, it just a basic guessing game for them. You would think, in this day & age, medical care would be far more advanced. And, I believe it is - for the 'right' people, that is!!!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bun-G

At Schreiber's website, to the left, 7 healing methods, is very interesting & pretty much sums up his theories that are unique.

www.instincttoheal.org...

His education & training include:
psychiatry, cognitive neuroscience, internal medicine & psychiatry, math & physics

just another plug, this guy is interesting for anyone wanting to read another take on healing thyself!
(it beats anti-d's, therapy, etc., at least long term!)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Bun-G

Yes, I have. Following a semi truck rollover that broke my spine and neck, and disabled me for life. Amitriptyline and it's cousin Elavil were my drug of choice for nearly 12 years, along with alcohol, that is....to kill the pain in my back, and the pain in my heart, as I lay on a hospital bed and pined for better days. I do not recommend it for your wife, or anyone. It is highly addictive, and causes suicidal thoughts in the depressed. My advice, if she truly is depressed, is two Herbal remedies, Happy Camper and Valerian root, some say St. John's Wort works good too. So does a certain other heard that is not to be spoken of in here. Do whatever you want, but at least try a herbal remedy before hooking her in pharmaceuticals.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I was in a car accident a few months ago got a pinched nerve etc. Well among the mass of pills I have been giving to take amitriptyline is one of them. The doctor said its mainly a depression drug, but an off label effect is a high threshold for pain. Meaning it helps with my back pain. I personally don't feel or get any relief from this. He said some side effects could be thought of suicide or trouble urinating but he said that mainly in older patients.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join