It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone got any information on AMITRIPTYLINE?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I recently suffered a bereavement & have been having difficulties sleeping for the past 4 months, usually not dropping off til 3:30 - 4:30am, which is a pain in the a** as i need to be up at 7:00 for work mon - fri, & the wife is getting on my case about it - She's worried about me.

I've been to councilling for a past issue & didn't feel it helped at all, so when I went to the doctors yesterday, we wrote that off as a no go to start with.I'm just not the type of guy to talk about my feelings
I'm not big on anti depressents either, but the way the doctor sold this to me, is its marked as a anti depressent, but is mostly used for pain relief & helping to get to sleep. I've been told to take 1 a night for 7-10 days & up the dose to 2 a night if needed.

The doctor has also asked me back in on the 26th to see how I'm getting on with them. The pain relief aspect is good news for me as i've been on Tramadol & diclofenic for the past 5 years, but i'm not sure about taking an anti depressent regardless of how its been sold to me.

Has anybody used it? Any medically minded people on here have any thoughts?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Bun-G

painkiller, anti-depressant and sedative. my wife (disabled) is on this medication and she has been on them for several years. they help her cope with most difficulties she encounters with loss of sleep/constant pain etc..
regards fakedirt

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I've always been a strong believer that facing the issue and working through it is always the better option. I have known people that have taken Amitriptyline and then stopped because it made them "feel strange". The best advice I can give you on it is to do your research. Learn everything you can about a chemical you're going to put into your body.

I also work in healthcare, so I've had direct interaction with people on the med. Some people become slow and sedate, while others just sleep a lot. It's a tricyclic antidepressant, but the side effects and primary effects are often different for everyone.

Something I can tell you to look for is the actual primary effect of the drug. Many drugs on the market today are given because they have "desirable side effects", which aren't what the drug was actually made for. Like Benadryl. people us that one for sleep, but drowsiness is actually a side effect of diphenhydramine.

Just be careful. Learn everything you can, then make an informed decision. Learn about the company that makes it, and if you really want to get deep into it, the inactive ingredients in the pill and what binding agents they use to hold the pill together.

Best of luck to you.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by BioStatistic

Thanks for the advise i'm doing my best to research it at the minute, i'm a strong believer of trying to work through problems myself rather than popping pills willy nilly
i've just been having a lot of issues sleeping - or should i say getting to sleep as as soon as my head hits the pillow my mind starts racing & I can't seem to turn it off. MY dad passed away at the end of december, his partner & her daughters have decided to make it there life goal to cause me & my brother untold problems as he's left us as the benifitures of his estate; & while we are doing our best to do the right thing they are being complete a55holes. I mean they took control of the funeral when that was our responsiblity & we we're left as footnotes at the end of the funeral when we were his only kids. I haven't really had a chance to grieve & I think this is one of the main things keeping me awake at night.

I've got a baby due in a couple of months, & would really like to have a good nights sleep before the sleepless nights start in ernst.

@Fakedirt - Thanks for the feedback, & i'm glad its working for your partner

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Bun-G

After Losing my Brother some years ago, I suffered horribly from Insomnia. my Doctor, as yours has, suggested all sorts of Dumb-Downers. I wasn't comfy with taking any of them. Instead I took 2 GRAVOL 1 Hour before Night-Nights and WOW solid nights sleep.....

Here is the Info on the main ingredient : Dimenhydrinate
Used primarily for Motion Sickness

GRAVOL will help you get you're ZZZZZZ's

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Bun-G

I take it low dose, 10mg for sleep and chronic pain from military injuries.
Works great. takes about 2-3 weeks to get level then good to go. You are sleepy at
first......then once you are used to it I wake up normally now.....after a great nights sleep on no other pain meds
so in low dose it is wonderful. I am not sure about taking if pregnant.....so ask doctor about that.....
my vote is it is good.........VA begged me for years to try it and I would not and I regret not taking it because for all those years I would have been pain free and slept a whole lot better............my 2cents
:-)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by speaknoevil07

thats the dose they've told me to take, & if I need to up it to take 20mg. Thanks for the heads up

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
You got most of the description you need but I think they left out the most important part.
See here. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by lesisgod

I'll look into gravols? i've tried nitol & other over the counter remedy's but they dont seem to work on me. One of my friends at work gave me some prescription sleeping tablets to use when desperate for sleep as he can see i'm having problems - I do not recommend taking prescription tablets not prescribed to you, but i was desperate. I had one last night at 3:00am & was still awake at 6:00am

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Thanks I'll give it a read

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Bun-G

GRAVOL is over the counter stuff trust me it works.... If pain ain't the issue, just sleep. Go the over the counter route don't screw up your Kidneys with AMitrip's.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Bun-G

I was on Amitriptyline for a number of years.

VERY good at making you tired and putting you to sleep - in my experimental days, I could use it to come down off meth successfully and get to sleep - DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL WITH IT. One of my friends took some at a party one night and was gone for a couple of days.

I eventually started developing symptoms of restless legs syndrome and would wake up and bicycle kick, do squats, jump around, etc. trying to work the feeling out of my legs so could go back to sleep. Eventually just stopped taking them as this became an ongoing issue.

For the longest time, my dose was 50mg (if I recall correctly - I think was two 25m tablets and not two 50mg. 150mg was DEFINITELY too much and I got down off that quick). Manageable, but would still wake up groggy sometimes.

Aside from the RLS, I don't recall ever having any complaints about it except for when dosage was too high. Definitely worth trying and I can pretty much guarantee you'll get to sleep. What happens after that just depends on how it works with you.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bun-G

For bereavement I prescribe Deepak Chopra or Elizabeth Kubler Ross
and time, lots of time.
Wishing you the best and peace at this sad time.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I've been on it for years. I have fibromyalgia and depression (from chronic pain), so it's the right choice for me. I take a 150mg every night. Without I don't sleep. I have no side-effects except dry mouth. It does make you tired, that's why it's good. Follow your doctor's orders. It's something "old", so it's not like he's getting a kick-back, or any of the other things people say about prescription meds. It's proven to work. It's non-habit forming. It does take time to achieve full benefit; if it isn't helping in two weeks, call your doctor.
They are called doctors and go through years of school to get that title. Then they have to continue with their education for as long as they practice. If you go to a doctor, there is no reason to not follow their advise. It's their job and their knowledge that makes them different from an online forrum.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I use this web site at work to identify lots of different medications, www.drugs.com...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
You got most of the description you need but I think they left out the most important part.
See here. www.abovetopsecret.com...

yes I agree with the psychiatry issues.......but and a big BUT, this med did help me with chronic pain and no other did..............it is very low dose and what is described to me as working on Pain fibers in the spinothalmic tract to increase threshold and therefore decrease awareness of pain. the docs tell me it is still there I just don't get the messages to my brain and whaaaa laa I can sleep. The sleep benefit alone has been a god-send because before it I could not sleep through the night and my legs and back were intolerable........I have had many military injuries and that and mx surgeries.......from the military.........and this med at least lets me live a "normal" life and I am not on narcotics like most people..........so yes there are bad things but for me...........it has saved my life. and diet did not help me...........I tried all that.
I suppose it depends on the cause of the pain...........

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

concur
second line

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Originally posted by Bun-G

newcovenant:
I agree with you about trying all methods of help. Drugs are not always the answer and understanding of things is a big help. Chopra and Ross are good sources..........meds do help some people though.

For bereavement I prescribe Deepak Chopra or Elizabeth Kubler Ross
and time, lots of time.
Wishing you the best and peace at this sad time.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

your post made me laugh,I had a visual of you doing bicycle kicks in the middle of the night
,ha ha.i was on it for a brief period and it did the same thing to me,I actually tried the trampoline once,rls is worse than not sleeping,and like you I got off the stuff.One of the other side effects is damage to your vision.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Bun-G

I've been on it before and developed the restless leg syndrome and that was horrible and like you in a time of grief,it took time but eventually went on something called remeron and seems to work better for me,not as many side-effects and don't have the side effects that amitriptyline has(foggyness,blurred vision and dry mouth)It may be worth asking your dr about....good luck to you

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join