It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Muslim Men Removed From An Airplane Because Passengers Said They Were Uncomfortable.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Whether or not you think it is rational for people to be fearful of someone in 'muslim garb' (which you seem to think is some sort of halloween costume), what do you think of the precedent being set for passengers being removed from a plane because someone 'felt uncomfortable?'

And your priest example is great. I DO consider Catholic Priests to be terrorists. They are all known rapists of little boys, right? Clearly they should all dress like middle class americans if they want to live in this country, otherwise they should all go back to Rome!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
reply to post by pandapowerjamie

That's just human nature to be suspicious. Racism isn't right but if you are jumped by a gang of say, black guys and beaten and robbed then you ARE going to be nervous everytime you see black people coming down the street towards you..

That is exactly right, I could not have said it any better. While the media still displays the right wing extremist side of their faith, and they continue to commit atrocities not only to other 'infidels' but to their own people, the general population of the western world are, and will continue to be wary. Sure, not all of the followers of their faith are extremists, buts it only takes a few rotten apples.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Want to know how Americans will happily give up their rights?

Tell them extremist muslim bogeymen are coming and they will accept all levels of police statery!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Personally I think all religious clothing is a Halloween costume.
It's just a way of showing their flock they're the leader. So who do you need to impress or show that you're a leader on a plane? I don't believe in religion so I really can't relate to their desire to wear their "look at me" outfits.

Would I remove people on the plane that were uncomfortable? In this instance no, because the current climate of fear related to the Muslim religion is warranted by the passengers. If someone was uncomfortable because they didn't like someone who looked Middle Eastern, than yes they should have an option to leave the plane or stay on.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons

Would I remove people on the plane that were uncomfortable? In this instance no, because the current climate of fear related to the Muslim religion is warranted by the passengers.

Warranted? Really? How so? By what standards?

As others have pointed out the 9-11 hijackers were dressed like regular people. Americans have more to fear from their fellow anglo-Americans, who, statistically speaking, are a far greater threat to them than 'muslims'.

Regardless of whatever way you choose to rationalize your intolerance, removing someone from a plane because another passenger feels 'uncomfortable, even AFTER They have been rescreened by TSAs a terrible precedent If you cant grasp that, you will be on of the folks readily handing over your rights in the name of security.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Its a tough call. I would be more worried about men appearing to be Muslim dressed in everyday clothes. But my questtion is, that if we are going to racially profile people who like to blow things up and/or kill people in the U.S. What race were Timothy Mcveigh and Terry Nichols?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Hmm I seem to remember Jews making the Nazis uncomfortable where did that slope end up?
What about African Americans sitting at the front of the bus. That made some people uncomfortable to.
I seem to remember Christians bombing other Christians in Ireland yet you cannot get someone removed because they are Evangelist and making you uncomfortable. I hope these two gentleman sue this airline into bankrupt status just to teach the others a lesson. BTW I hold Christian Philosophy and Believe my brothers of all faith have the right to share this world with me. I can't believe how prejudice is succeeding in this country I love.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BioStatistic
Wow... I don't know what to say about that.

Some people are so stoopid... (spelling is on purpose for emphasis)

"Because we're uncomfortable" doesn't constitute a valid reason to embarrass people because of their faith.

They need to shut their mouths and realize that most of the rest of the world sees us that way. They'd be just as happy if we vanished and let things well enough alone. I don't know if these people really pay attention, but America isn't on the best terms with the global community right now.
edit on 7-5-2011 by BioStatistic because: (no reason given)

People advocating the muslim faith videotaped themselves sawing the heads off innocent victims to cause a "terror" reaction. Well I'd say they got one and no self-effacing dogooder can change what they brought down on themselves.
"We don't look so good in the world" (?)

And?
(So what?)
if every teaparty member is an "ignorant racist" ( Garafalo et al)...than every muslim is a blood thirsty terrorist at odds with the west.
"SCroo'm"

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Eh, I can see both sides of the spectrum. If need be and I were that uncomfortable, I'd offer to go on a different flight.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
This is.....incredibly disturbing....

I was in the supermarket today and there were a group of people standing in line behind me waiting for the cashier. The eldest woman in the group dropped a bunch of change she was holding and it went everywhere. An older gentleman in the line to the left of us, who was clad in "Islamic garb," picked up some of the change and attempted to return it to the older woman. He was smiling genuinely and said something I believe was in Arabic to the woman while attempting to return her change to her (I'm assuming he was saying something along the lines of: "here you go" from the looks of it). The older women looked at him angrily and then ignored him, going so far as to turn her back to him. It was her daughter that actually stepped forward and thanked the man. Even after all this the old man smiled politely.

I really cannot explain how upsetting the whole scene was to witness. I can only imagine the pain the man feels for other people of his faith.....
edit on 8-5-2011 by Sentience365 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Many of you aren't reading the article. It was the PILOT more than the uncomfortable passengers. They re-screened the two men, but it was the PILOT who was too scared to let them fly. I am going to refrain from touching this topic, because I do not argue on the internet. Just wanted to clear the pilot issue up.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Yea, you're all right. I think they should have taken their chances as opposed to "offending" potential terrorists. Sorry, folks, these freaks made their bed and now they can sleep in it. Is it profiling? Hell yes it is and I hope to God they continue to do it.

If the passengers were uncomfortable with a 6-year old girl who they thought might be a danger, they wouldn't hesitate to take her off the plane. Truth is, this doesn't bother me at all. This is the reason El Al has been the worlds safest airline in decades. They profile and aren't afraid to say to. And guess what? They don't have a TSA and they don't bombard you with radiation. THEY PROFILE AND IT WORKS! Deal with it or don't fly.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by General.Lee

Truth is, this doesn't bother me at all. This is the reason El Al has been the worlds safest airline in decades. They profile and aren't afraid to say to. And guess what? They don't have a TSA and they don't bombard you with radiation. THEY PROFILE AND IT WORKS! Deal with it or don't fly.

This will be the same guy in five years saying "See we in American have never been safer, every can be patted down randomly and their houses can be searched without warrants. IT WORKS. deal with it or live somewhere else".

Being a patsy to the NWO and tyranny is not something the real General Lee would ever do. I guess you have the discrimination part down fine though

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Many of you aren't reading the article. It was the PILOT more than the uncomfortable passengers. They re-screened the two men, but it was the PILOT who was too scared to let them fly. I am going to refrain from touching this topic, because I do not argue on the internet. Just wanted to clear the pilot issue up.

That is false:

"TSA came on and pulled them off and said the pilot was refusing to fly with them because passengers were uncomfortable with them," Hooper said, referring to the Transportation Security Administration.

It clearly started with some passengers

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by fordrew
If you did wear full Islamic garb you will be lynched if you were standing in the middle of NYC.

So which is it, lynched or stared at? Either way, that's another nail in the tourist coffin of the USA.
When I go to Europe, I will plan my trip so as to avoid having a stopover anywhere in the USA, and advise my family to do likewise!
It obviously isn't safe.
I am a Christian, a tiny 155 cm, 45 kg white woman. But for all I know, I could be vanished into a Homeland Security prison, it happened to a NZ white woman journalist in 2003, (though she was eventually released to tell about it)
Also, I will be on a British passport, and I won't be travelling for a year or two. Someone with a British passport and accent might well be a arrestable or lynchable by then...

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Boy - just as well they weren't the pilots aye!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sentience365
This is.....incredibly disturbing....

I was in the supermarket today and there were a group of people standing in line behind me waiting for the cashier. The eldest woman in the group dropped a bunch of change she was holding and it went everywhere. An older gentleman in the line to the left of us, who was clad in "Islamic garb," picked up some of the change and attempted to return it to the older woman. He was smiling genuinely and said something I believe was in Arabic to the woman while attempting to return her change to her (I'm assuming he was saying something along the lines of: "here you go" from the looks of it). The older women looked at him angrily and then ignored him, going so far as to turn her back to him. It was her daughter that actually stepped forward and thanked the man. Even after all this the old man smiled politely.

I really cannot explain how upsetting the whole scene was to witness. I can only imagine the pain the man feels for other people of his faith.....

The rude old biddy deserves to lose all her money! Karma should bite the old cow good and hard.
Events after 9/11 (such as redneck who murdered a Sikh man and his son, who ran a petrol station) show that many Americans think Sihks are Muslims, and wouldn't even know Islamic dress if it jumped up and bit them on the knee!
Muslims here in New Zealand - that is, the ones who are my language students, wear jeans and sweatshirts! (They're teenagers, and they dress as teenagers do, and I am talking about the boys and the girls).
Other Muslims in New Zealand dress like everyone else. They're native New Zealanders, they run shops, work in banks and insurance companies and call centres. They're people, as you have said, Sentience. Good on you!
Vicky

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Seriously though. A Muslim was removed from a plane in the West. I suggest some Americans come with me to Afganistan and see if they can actually stay alive for more than 36 hours while trying to do your own thing there.

Put's things in perspective. I've stared down the barrell of an army machine gun on the back of a truck in Central America before. It pays to dress like locals first. Mind you the same thing happened with an armed gang member in Compton LA. More to do with being picked out as I was dressed different. But when you carry something bigger than they do they leave you alone.

If Americans want to accept a multicultural society they have to accept what comes with it. Just have your wife wear a bikini in Saudi Arabia and see what happens to her!

We have to respect their culture to be imprisoned but they don't have to respect ours - and it's as simple as that!

edit on 8-5-2011 by daggyz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

America is always both home of the free and home of the isolationist. I don't really see anything here other than standard first generation immigration tribulations. The Irish, Germans, Italians, Africans, Russians, Albanians, and so many others went through the same. It's part of the system. Strip away your extremes by peer pressure, become part of the collective, and then integrate what's left to the whole.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
reply to post by fordrew

The amount of political correctness in this thread is overwhelming.

Honestly, I'm proud of my country for this. Finally people are showing signs of not being afraid to express their feelings.

What is honorable and American about singling out two Muslims and asking them to get off the plane? Are we going to start asking black people to sit at the back of the bus again?

Look, I flat out blame the govt for this crap. Everyone is falling for it. Not every Muslim is a terrorist.

Are we going to start kicking white people out of federal buildings because of Timothy Mc Veigh?

Use your head people. Someone wants you to be scared and prejudiced. Your chances of getting blown up on a plane are less than getting hit by lightening.

Terror is tptb brand of poision. They want you to eat sleep breathe terrorism. This has GOT to stop.
Because of people living in so much fear, we are justifying children getting molested at airports now.

When.will.this.stop?

/end rant
edit on 8-5-2011 by Thunder heart woman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join