It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Muslim Men Removed From An Airplane Because Passengers Said They Were Uncomfortable.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

how can anyone answer your question, aside from those people who are involved? we can guess, we can speculate, but we don't know if those airline passengers would have reacted same or different.

i'm not shocked and appalled by what happened. people should be able to voice their opinion, especially if they are fearful. i don't give a hoot where someone is from or what garb they wear. go nuts, have a good time. but i can appreciate that fears are real things. i would not want a guest in my home to be in fear or to be uncomfortable.

while it would be nice to have everyone get along just fine in the melting pot of America, we should keep in mind that not everyone has traveled the world, been exposed to different peoples and cultures, or has the same education or point of view. i have relatives in Mississippi (they are white) that are scared to death of non-whites. this particular couple are not the brightest bulbs in the lamp, so i figure maybe they are at a disadvantage because they are unable (or are unwilling) to overcome prejudices.

i also understand they did not grow up in the NY tri-state region as I did, where you will meet people of every sort in normal daily interaction. some regions are very culturally diverse, while others are so closed-off that you wind up with hillbilly inbreds. it's a big country, we got all kinds.

i respect my relatives fear because it is real to them. i would not insist they attend a NAACP rally with me because that would make them freak out. this does not necessarily mean they are horrible people. they are adults who know what they like and don't like.

i prefer when people are open and honest about things. i might not like what they have to say but at least i know where they stand. we could use a lot more of that in America, especially in Washington DC, on Wall Street, etcetera - but I digress.

freedom of speech means sometimes people are going to say things you don't want to hear. still, both you and they are entitled to your/their own opinions.
edit on 5/7/2011 by LargeFries because: the Evil Monkey got out the closet and made typos while I went for a Coke. had to fix.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
The irony is staggering! While I think its silly, it may have gone better if they dressed in more low profile garb.

Maybe so, but that shows what a sad state of affairs it is when you have to change what you wear because of the attitudes of some fear-ridden, ignorant Americans.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Wow. What a love-fest. *Will the last bleeding heart please turn out the lights when you leave the room!*

Just in case you missed the news, for the last decade we've been in a shooting war with folks that dress in muslim "garb". If folks are nervous then it might be for a good reason.

*facepalm*

TY so much. reading through the thread I was starting to wonder if we were all on the same planet. while it is beautiful that all are welcome in the land of lies & taxes, we are also free to love or dislike each other as much as we damn well please.

what cracks me up is that most people do have fears about at least one other group of people. it may not be logical, rational or politically correct, but still it exists. over the years i've heard people make hilarious statements:

a friend who did not trust anyone with 'big teeth'

years later that friend married a girl who was freaked out by people who had 'tiny teeth' - kid you not

i use to work with a guy that would be a nervous wreck the rest of the day if he saw a little person; it was beyond his control

i'm tall and not used to looking up when speaking to someone. people over 6'5" i'm uncomfortable around

my all-time favorite, from the movie Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery --

Austin Powers: Only two things scare me and one of them is nuclear war.
Basil Exposition: What's the other?
Austin Powers: Excuse me?
Basil Exposition: What's the other thing that scares you?
Austin Powers: Carnies. Circus folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Wow so much hysteria going on with US citizens involved in this article. What would happen if there was another terrorist attack? Would you go out to assault or even kill the next muslim that you see in the neighborhood and blame them for it? Seems like there are extremists on both sides? Well I guess more so stupid people.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Passengers who complian that someone who makes them feel uncomfortable on a flgiht should also be removed from the flight, and made to pay for new tickets on a new plane, for themselves AND for the passengers that they complained about. Or better still, remove the person who said that their fellow passenger made them uncomfortable, while leaving the other passenger on the plane!

you're not comfortable on this flight? Fine! You're the only passenger complaining, so we're going to remove you to another flight, and charge you for the priviledge, instead of inconveniencing the other passenger.

I'm sure that if this were the policy of all airlines, people would all of a sudden become a lot more tolerant of their fellow passengers.

Removing passengers because of the bigotry of others is simply pandering to that bigotry, nothing more.

You're uncomfortable because someone is dressed in "Islamic attire"? Talk about the epitomy of bigotry.
edit on 7-5-2011 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by pandapowerjamie

That's just human nature to be suspicious. Racism isn't right but if you are jumped by a gang of say, black guys and beaten and robbed then you ARE going to be nervous everytime you see black people coming down the street towards you

it makes me laugh (may be cry) till morning that you believe that you think that Muslims attacked WTC. you haven't been beaten by Muslims but your own govt . you don't even bother to study about these Muslims you are talking about.

do you do that in your daily life . do you pay attention to details ? do you know the difference between your bedroom light and the sun ? they both shine but aren't the same . they are called by different names.

these is true about the Muslims, too. there are different branches in Islam and most of them are going through different ways. Wahhabi is one of the branches of Islam and Al Qaede members are Wahhabi.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

The amount of political correctness in this thread is overwhelming.

Honestly, I'm proud of my country for this. Finally people are showing signs of not being afraid to express their feelings.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by fordrew
Yesterday, Friday May 7 2011, what a sad day it is in the history of my country. It is the day America fell backwards.

Muslim group: two imams pulled from plane bound for North Carolina

An airline is investigating the removal of two imams from a flight headed to North Carolina, ostensibly because passengers felt uncomfortable with their presence of the pair -- both clad in Islamic attire.

Ha, "Islamic Attire"! They sure must still be hiding something after the TSA sexually assaulted their persons. Funny that they still were able to catch another flight without any complaints huh?

Now heres the kicker!

The two -- who hold high religious positions in the Muslim community -- were headed to North Carolina for a conference on prejudice against Muslims, or Islamaphobia. The meeting is sponsored by the North American Imams Federation.

Oh the irony!

So what year do we live in again? Surely not in the year 2011! Even the pilot said "hell no I do not want them on my plane!". So much for America home of the free, founded with free speech and religious tolerance....

Tell me would all of this still would have happened if they decided not to wear traditional Islamic attire?
edit on 7-5-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

Poor people but hey cn you blme then with all these things going around saying al queda is about to attack nd i even sw one bout them trying to get onto trains now!!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Maybe the people who complained were smart enough to know that no matter what a Muslim wears, whether traditional garb or otherwise, they are capable of blowing up a plane.

Do you know how some people are able to put large amounts of drugs into the "sexual cavities" of their bodies so they can smuggle them? Enough muscle relaxers injected near the area will loosen them up to where they can put more in there than usual. More than what is thought to be possible in fact.

If people can do that with drugs, they can do that with explosives as well. You don't need wires coming out either when you have a remote control.

This happened 5 days after reports first came in that Bin Laden was killed. You would have to be delusional to think that there won't be any chance whatsoever that a Muslim will not want to blow up a plane right now. Or a train for that matter.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Although, in the interests of fairness, I think that I may being a bit harsh on the Americans who are paranoid about the terrorist bogeyman.

I don't remember much of the time when there was a regular IRA terrorist threat on the British mainland, but I have heard tales of Irish people being harassed and falsely reported to authorities because of suspicious behaviour. This ''suspicious'' behaviour would usually amount to no more than talking in an Irish accent while carrying a bag or a rucksack, or being overheard saying something innocuous that someone misconstrued as a coded threat or a statement of nefarious intent.

In one tragic case, an innocent Irishman got shot dead by police marksmen after a member of the public tipped them off about the man carrying what could have been a gun inside a carrier bag; it turned out to be a table leg.

It just goes to show that if there is a terrorist threat, or a perceived threat, in your country, then some people will let the fear get the better of them and be overly suspicious and fearful.

I guess there's a fine line between vigilance and paranoia.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseekerlady77
reply to post by BioStatistic

You shouldn't call other people "stoopid" when you are unable to completely evaluate the whole situation. The people that are frightened have just as much right to speak up about their fears as the other side does. They both have rights you know .

Truth is everyone is discriminated against several times in there lifetimes. But I feel doubly discriminated against since everyone is feeling bad for the Muslim on the air flight and not me..What about me. I went to ride an amusement park ride once. Well I have a huge "chest" and the bar wouldn't latch. Guess what I had to get off the ride.I was embarrassed. So big breasted people are being discriminated against to, but do you hear an outcry for them? Heck no. See that is discrimination in of itself. Why do muslims get recognition and not us poor big breasted people. You might say I could get a reduction..well that takes money and just like the muslims I shouldn't have to change anything about myself

Ok. I'm game. It's fun to live in a world where everyone is always offended by everything. That's the world we live in today. I am a white, single, gay male. Let's talk about discrimination. I give 120% every day at work and at school (working on my second degree), and what do I get? I'll tell you. I get to listen to people complain and whine because someone has put them out because of their hair, weight, income, or whatever. It gets so old listening to it. People need to get over themselves and stop whining about every single little thing just because.

So who's fault is it that you have a large chest? Not mine. Was the manufacturer of the ride to blame? No. It's a simple circumstance, plain and simple. Why does everyone want to blame someone else for the way things are? I'm very sorry you can't enjoy certain carnival rides. Sadly, I'll never be able to enjoy a real marriage to the person I love. I'll never be able to exist on a level with "accepted" norms with everyone else in society. I'll never know what it's like to be considered an 'equal' to most other people because of tiny insignificant details of my life.
Do I cry about it? No. I get over it and go on. So again, I'm sorry you can't ride roller coasters because of your breasts.

Now back to my point. Those two men were hurting not a single person by being on that plane. It was plain ignorance, and yes, stupidity, that drove those people to humiliate them and force them off the plane because they were "uncomfortable". You of all people should know how they feel, and here you are, defending the very thing that made you feel bad when you couldn't ride the roller coaster.

Maybe we should bring back racial bus seating and water fountains. Maybe we should create religiously designated living areas within states. Maybe we need to make every effort to alienate everyone we possibly can with ever reason we can possibly fathom. Let's do everything we can to make everyone feel as horrible as possible so we all have yet another item to add to the list of "reasons to hate people".

What's sad is this shouldn't even be an issue. A Christian is just as dangerous as a Muslim. A man is just as dangerous as a woman. Overall, none of it really matters when you get down to it. It's all nit-picking, and the sooner people just stop looking for reasons to gnaw on each other and claw at each other we can all step back and see how stupid we've all been, stop crying about everything, and get on with actually contributing to making a better world for everyone.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Do you really think that these terrorists will be wearing their ritual garbs if they wanted to blow up a plane or a train?
Do you really think that you would be able to identify them as a terrorist while out in the public?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
These passengers went through the same TSA screenings as all of the others. If someone feels too nervous to fly, then they should collect their things and exit the plane. Whoever it was had no right to interfere with another paying customer's trip.

edit on 5/7/11 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
And non Muslims don't like to be stripped searched by their own government but we are and they do because Muslims hijacked 4 planes and murdered all on board plus thousands on the ground all in the name of Islam. How about a little tolerance and understanding by the Muslim community??? Like "hey, we understand why you are fearful" or "if it were me and I was dressed like a jihad martyr I wouldn't trust me either."

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God
And non Muslims don't like to be stripped searched by their own government but we are and they do because Muslims hijacked 4 planes and murdered all on board plus thousands on the ground all in the name of Islam. How about a little tolerance and understanding by the Muslim community??? Like "hey, we understand why you are fearful" or "if it were me and I was dressed like a jihad martyr I wouldn't trust me either."

So where is all this when Christians do the same thing. How is the security at or around abortion clinics

I find it funny when people always tend to blame all for the actions of a few when the group is not one that they are a member of. But when the group is one which they are a member of it is a isolated incident

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
There is no need to be afraid of anyone wear a certain type of clothes anyone who does so is a bigot period.
Anyone who would blame all for the actions of a few needs to have something happen to them to make them understand how the people discriminated against feel.

Would this have happen if the men were dressed in traditional South American, African, Japanese, Chinese or Indian clothing.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jatsc
There is no need to be afraid of anyone wear a certain type of clothes anyone who does so is a bigot period.
Anyone who would blame all for the actions of a few needs to have something happen to them to make them understand how the people discriminated against feel.

Would this have happen if the men were dressed in traditional South American, African, Japanese, Chinese or Indian clothing.

Of course not.
You don't see people blowing up air ports in a dysheeki or a samurai costume

you must be drunk to say something like that.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuceizBack

Originally posted by jatsc

Of course not.
You don't see people blowing up air ports in a dysheeki or a samurai costume

you must be drunk to say something like that.

So if thats the case that if someone dresses like someone whom has committed a crime then what about skin color or hair style?

What about if someone did it in a suit and tie would all businessmen get this treatment.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The fact remains that it's only Islamic fundamentalists who are blowing people up. Now, I agree that removing them from the plane is ridiculous, but people are going to be uncomfortable, and they should have enough sense to know that. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be outraged, but they shouldn't expect anything less given the current situation.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This is fk up. This is where it started; there will be a time when "they all" united and respond "the way we wanted" ..... I mean 'you so want us to be trrist then so be it'
democracy, civilized, freedom of religion.....these words are fading away.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join