It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security Clearance for Joining Navy SEALs Team 6?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
What type of Security Clearance do you have to have in order to join the Navy SEALs Team 6 who took out bin Laden?
edit on 7-5May-112011 by darpa999 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I would guess a Top Secret clearance, then probably issued a temporary clearance depending on the operation.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by darpa999

we have the clearence :rainbow9

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Why would you want to join them?
I don't get it...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
You also don't get to pick your team. When you enter BUDs, you fill out a Dream Sheet of which teams you'd like to be on. I hear getting your top pick is damn near impossible... not to mention everyone's going to be wanting Team 6 now.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

It would depend on what you do within the unit.

All members have different qualifications or different fields of expertise. For example, a weapons expert or demolitions expert would have a lower clearance than a mechanical, electronic or signals tech.

There is no one blanket classification, although there would be a standard, even 'classified' compared to 'secret' or 'top secret' but not everyone within the unit would have the same classification.

Remember compartmentalization is a very good way of keeping secrets. One member may 'need to know' and one may not....

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
You also don't get to pick your team. When you enter BUDs, you fill out a Dream Sheet of which teams you'd like to be on. I hear getting your top pick is damn near impossible... not to mention everyone's going to be wanting Team 6 now.

Just to clear it up. You can't go from BUDS, then SQT to team 6/DEVGRU/MSPNWU/whatever they call themselves these Day's. You have to be a SEAL in a "regular" team for a minimum amount of time before applying to go on the "green selection" course.

That's why those guys are on average older then the average age for other SEAL in other teams.

PS I am not nor was ever a SEAL, but that information is pretty common around the US military.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Also in regard to joining such a unit, it's not about your sec clearance or even your spec, it's about your ability and passing barrier testing.

For example, after school i joined the RAN ( Royal Aus Navy ) as an ET - Electronic Tech with a specific security clearance. This would be higher than a BM, OS, MT etc. Because an ET has to deal with certain technology such as Navigation, Warfare and Communication systems. This type of technology is highly classified due to the type of tech we had to deal with. An EWL would have a higher classification because they delt with Intel, Signals and foreign Language.

But if we wanted to join the SAS, the job spec wouldnt matter as much as the ability to do the job in regard to SAS needs.

I hope that makes sense, it's not about your clearance. It is about your ability to do the job that you are applying for

edit on 7-5-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

lmao sorry to laugh but it's not that easy to throw a security clearance around... If you have ever had to apply for one... the paperwork is amazingly huge.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
It’s not just about Clearances and ability, though those are the top priority for selection. The last hurdle is personality. The SpecOps community is usually based around small teams. They’re extended family. As such, they must know without a doubt that they have each other’s back, no matter what the circumstances at all times. It is always a team effort.

Without the right personality, at best you will end up as a instructor/trainer at a selection course. Chances are though, if you are not the right fit, you’ll go back to your unit. Not everyone who makes it through the various SpecOps courses gets selected.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

The clearance that says you are a blood thirsty, MKULTRA brainwashed, psychopathic killer, who will do what the elites tell you to do with blind obedience & comes back licking their boots begging for more.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
How are you going to join SEAL Team 6 when they were disbanded after Vietnam and absorbed into DevGru12?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

On entry to the servce you will fill out forms and go through an initial National Agency Check [NAC]. Then there is the small hurdle of getting into and surviving BUDS. There are medical, physical, and mental requirements for entry and continued survival. I do not know what the present requirements are for entry into BUDS but you may be able to find them online. At some point you will fill out an SF-86 form where you will list all addresses, foreign travel, schools attended, legal actions other than traffic tickets, etc. Then a Background Investigation [BI] will be done which will include interviews with neighbors, co-workers, and school teachers/professors. At some point, a clearance will be granted based on what you will need to know. There are some general categories and then there are categories like SPECAT, CRYPTO, and various nuclear weapons codes.

SEAL training is difficult and the life of team members is not easy.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
5 - no marriage , no kids , no future plans for marriage and kids no retirement until discharged be at least 30 years of age.
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

I am aware.

But it was a simple answer to a simple question. Going about making it happen is an entirely different matter.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
It's ususally TOP SECRET Codeword level since most of the stuff they are going to ask you to do is usually deemed "very sensitive" in nature, and a codeword clearance usually let's you move from program to program relatively quickly.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Any member of a special forces unit will definitely need a TS. I'm only training to be an Air Battle Manager (requires knowledge of just about every relevant airframe and their capabilities) and I'm getting one. However receiving a clearance doesn't necessarily mean anything. Information is compartmentalized and given out on a need-to-know basis. Basically you'll need a TS SCI (Sensitive Compartmented Information). And it doesn't matter what team you're on or what group you're in - if you're flying aboard heavily modified, secret aircraft, or using new weaponry, or trying out new intelligence gathering techniques, you'll be given at least a TS and most likely an SCI clearance.

new topics

top topics

join