It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

V For Vendetta: Begins Playing Out In The UK? Norsefire Party = English Defense League: EDL

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP

There was absolutely nothing offensive about my post, I never said you shouldn't be proud of your country's values or the sacrifices people have made to protect those values. I said racial pride was pointless, theres nothing to be proud of about being white, it's not an achievement.

I'm British, I like being British, I like that our country has a modern history of tolerence of all races and freedom of religion etc. I'm proud of anyone who stands against injustice, stands with the oppressed and helps the poor, I don't care where they come from, these are acts worth being proud of because they actually benefit the world.

You shouldn't judge people based on nationality, race or religion, judge them based on character. People are people no matter where they come from or by which name they call God.
edit on 7-5-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by sevensheeps

Originally posted by sevensheeps
edl are just as bad as terrorist, you don't fight hate with hate.

They are just a bunch of hooligans.

Sorry, not read all this thread yet but had to reply to this straight away; absolute bollocks! Exactly how many innocent people have EDL killed? How many terrorist attacks have they carried out?
Answer to both of them is none whatsoever.

EDL may have their faults but to liken them to murdering scum like the IRA, ETA, Al-Qaeda, UVF, BSO etc is pathetic and absolute nonsense.
edit on 7/5/11 by Freeborn because: spelling

I disagree. If the EDL were in the position of the IRA they'd absolutely engage in terrorist activities. Already they're violent and looking for trouble and they're not even oppressed. Imagine their behavior if a tyranical empire was really trying to conquer and control Britain, while attempting to eradicate our culture and Democracy.

The EDL and many others(even EDL opposition like UAF) would become murdering scum in such a situation. I have no doubt about that.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

remember this power corrupts people. Even if you have good intentions at first eventually you will get corrupted by power if greed over come you

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Im not a member of any of these parties, but i can tell you for a fact people, many, many people i know are leaning this way.

In Hull there is an area that has become an almost no go area for the English late at night, in fact a few years ago the Police had to remove graffiti from a house in the area that read "No Whites".

Only this evening i was talking to a chap who rallys with these guys across the Country. He has absolute hatred for muslims, and i mean hatred.

A friend of mines Wife used to work in the department of the Council handing out free TV,s, mobile phones, cars, electronic equipment etc to muslim immigrants. This just enhances the hatred i see at the moment.

There has been pitched street battles between local football supporters and the muslim community in this area.

I think it will only get worse.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Seeing as no one else has yet mentioned the origins of V for Vendetta I'm going to take this opportunity to do so.

V for Vendetta was originally a graphic novel, published in 1985 created by writer Alan Moore and illistrated by artist David Llyod. The political elements of the story were inspired by Margaret Thatchers reighn over the UK in the 80s. If you enjoyed the film and have not yet read the graphic novel then I highly reccomend that you do so as a fair few chapters at the start of the story were cut out of the films screenplay. I loved the film, I watched at the cinema and brought the Blu Ray just last week but the graphic novel is even better and the themes even more deeply explored. This definatly is not a comic for kids and was the first in a new wave of more politically inspired comics that the likes of 2000AD and the ultimate facist enforcer Judge Dredd was born from.

Incidently, for those who do not know, some "members" of the "internet hacktivist group" Anonymous have also been highly influenced by images taken from V for Vendetta.

en.wikipedia.org...

I can't help but wonder what Alan Moore makes of these two groups.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllSeeingI
reply to post by Freeborn

You make some very good points.

While researching the EDL I am finding that during their protests and rallys they are constantly saying they are not racist, and not Nazi's. In fact they often burn Nazi flags as a way to separate themselves from the idea that they are like Nazis.

It begs the questions....
Is it racist to have pride in your own race/culture?
Is it racist to want to preserve your nation in the way it was when you grew up?
It is racist to protest against groups such as Muslims who have said all Infidels must die etc etc?

edit on (5/7/11) by AllSeeingI because: clarity

The answers are

no,
no,
and no.

Like any other foreign body attacking the host, they must either be neutralized to a state of non threat or removed.

I'm sure this will cause some "SEE, YOUR A NAZI" comments. Thats fine. I have my opinion and they'll have theirs.

Short of some of the recent bout of "twitchy" mods lately.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
own the movie and love it! very very interesting and a lot of thought provoking ideas of things that can happen..

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia
I disagree. If the EDL were in the position of the IRA they'd absolutely engage in terrorist activities. Already they're violent and looking for trouble and they're not even oppressed. Imagine their behavior if a tyranical empire was really trying to conquer and control Britain, while attempting to eradicate our culture and Democracy.

The EDL and many others(even EDL opposition like UAF) would become murdering scum in such a situation. I have no doubt about that.

In the position of the IRA?

And what is that?

A very small minority of a minority trying to impose it's will on the majority by murdering innocent people and bullying and exploiting their own communities.

EDL will never be in such a situation so the comparison is pathetic.

EDL has never advocated terrorism or violence of any sort and as such my dismissal of them being compared to terrorist organisations remains justified.

Your post is nothing but assumption.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
reply to post by AllSeeingI

Most of those I know here in the UK have seen the film.. and/or own a copy
I have been given 4 (on top of the one I brought myself) as gifts over the years from friends and colleagues
and most people I know agree the end scene is great

edit on 7/5/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

Thanks for bringing in the report from the UK !
Glad to hear you are helping to spread the info about this movie to others, I have done the same.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by aleintripod

Thank you very much for that pertinent info. I have not read the book/graphic novel, and will be looking to find it at the local library or bookstore ASAP. I am very interested.

It is very interesting that the actor John Hurt played the protagonist Winston Smith in '1984', was also the polar opposite character in 'V For Vendetta' as the antagonist High Chancellor Adam Sutler.

I think it would be brilliant to interview John Hurt and ask him about his experiences playing such opposite ends of the spectrum in two very distopian movies. Was he asked because of his participation in 1984?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

I think you're giving the EDL way too much credit, from what little I've seen of their material they're a fairly impotent group of white nationalists. They take much the same stance as many of the xenophobic conservatives here in the US, afraid of anything foreign.

Love V for Vendetta by the way, it had the intelligence and social commentary of a movie like Network with the cool action sequences that made the Wachowski brothers famous in the Matrix.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
It's all okay that the less intellectually blessed amongst you are gaining momentum, and that they/you are pretending to know what is going on. But let's face it. You don't. And to go one step further than that, what's with these tossers hiding behind a flag or their queen? Is it something to be admired? To get all emotional when you see a flag because "THATS MY FLAG"? Or should we call it what it is - immature behavior. Intellectual shallowness. Stupidity. Ignorance. (I can go on for days). I mean, I see it for what it is - a recruitment tool essential to bring in those stupid enough to believe in that bull# in the first place.(correct me if I'm wrong)

Are you people really that starved from information about life and history that you're willing to believe in stories that other people MAKE UP?

The simple answer is it is not racist to do any of these things.

I am English, proud be be English and of my culture and will continue to preserve the culture and the ways of my nation and want the law to back me up on protecting my country from those who want change the culture and ways of my country.

See what I read here is that you know squat about your culture or your history, you're basically scared and don't know what to believe. So you cower behind nationalism. I suggest you read up on this sir, you are being manipulated.

It begs the questions....
Is it racist to have pride in your own race/culture?
Is it racist to want to preserve your nation in the way it was when you grew up?
It is racist to protest against groups such as Muslims who have said all Infidels must die etc etc?

It is as STUPID as racism if that is the answer you are trying to avoid.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
It's a bit scary to find someone who only just heard of the EDL now holding forth on theories derived from a film

edit on 8-5-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Yes, please do so. The Wachowski brothers did an excellant job of adapting the book but there are many changes they have made while staying very true to the spirit and dialogue of the book. The book has a level of literary excellence that very few graphic novels/comics manage to come close to let alone achieve.

I'm not sure if John Hurt was chosen or agreed to take the role on because of his role in 1984. Love that film as well, although I have yet to read the book. Its a distinct possibility and a comparision and question I have often asked myself. He is interviewed briefly in the making of on the blu ray where he basically states that he feels it is like "1984 meets alien" and that the story has borrowed a bit from Orwell.

It is a shame that more of these Dystopian genre films/storys are not created in this day and age. I feel the mirror that they can hold up to the real world is a point of view sorely lacking and necessary in these troubled times. I guess the closest recent comparassion in film would be Children of Men but thats more based around the immigration and climate change issues.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

I think it is the role of true art and good story telling to reflect the real world. Basically put, if it gets people to think about the world they inhabit and see some kind of comparison then it can only be a good thing when all is said and done.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeissacred

Your post started with saying that "Racial pride is the most pointless thing in the world, it's divisive and unnescessary." How is that not offensive? You said that my pride in being English was pointless. Thats offends me.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Can anyone shed some light on the focus point of this thread? The use of the symbols and colors used in these emblems? Thoughts?

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Well in that case sorry for offending you but I was merely trying to make the point that there is no reason to think more or less of others than their skin colour. Racial pride is the sort of thing that leads to racial prejudice, which leads to unnescessary division in society.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Reply to post by Zamini

So you are intelectually retarded for loving your country, history and traditions and wan't to preserve them? So every other minorities culture in my country is too then huh? Im a sgt major in the British Army and know that some of my lads are edl members and i applaud their patriotism and commitment to our country. That IS what we fight for. Not some labour enforced multicultural social engineering. But for England. Parliament and leftie cowards take note!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I loved the film.

The part where she thinks she is in prison and reading the letters of the lesbian woman moved me deeply.

At the time Bush co were of full rampage and the whole scenario didn't feel a million miles away , still doesn't to be honest just a different face on it now.

I remember seeing the Wachowski brothers offering after V which was speed racer and thinking someones got to them lol.

Have you seen Children of men ? another great movie.

www.imdb.com...

We need far more films like these

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join