It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think that Sitcoms are a means of social engineering?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I would have thought it is obvious that it's their main purpose. A current example is "The Big Bang Theory" episode where Leonard simply cannot accept the possibility that some psychics may be legitimate. His religion i.e. Science doesn't have the means of measuring the phenomena so it can't exist. One example amongst millions where sitcoms repeatedly support the establishment's view of reality, absolutely infuriating.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
Basically, serving as "templates" for our own family and social lives???

Well, yes and no. Basically everything on TV is probably connected to social engineering in one way or another. Not necessarily for the purposes you suggest, however. But for any and all goals they may have.

As long as people keep watching TV, TPTB will have an absolute stranglehold on the definition of reality and will be able to manipulate the public effortlessly.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by arrus75
I've been wary of sitcoms 'programming' for a while. Specifically it's portrayal of men and womens 'roles' - men are often portrayed as bumbling insensitive idiots, while the women are strong and intelligent.

I've seen these similar roles being played out in my friends marriages - She's always right and always puts him down and insults him, and he slips into the bumbling husband role.

Case in point - Everybody loves Raymond, The Honeymooners, Friends...etc etc...Men are being put down and dumbed down by these 'examples' of what relationships and genders are supposed to be like.

That's true to an extent, but what would be the purpose? I forbid everyone loves Raymond to be played in my house. Lol. Seriously. That is a very offensive show.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by hhott

If they are social engineering, the ones I've unintentionally watched some of seem to be trying to get us all to be smart-mouthed, stupid, gullible, and totally preoccupied with minor and meaningless issues.

And it works. Take a look around, especially at people of say...maybe 35 and younger. And it works incredibly well on older children and teenagers. Pay attention and you can tell which ones watch a lot of television just from their attitudes.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
When I was studying from an American history textbook the content talked about post civil rights television sitcoms. Television was used to show that people of different skin colors can be friends and i forget everything else about that topic.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
This subject reminds me of the opening line from MST3K:

"If you're wondering how he eat's and breathes, and other science facts,

La la la

Just repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax"

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by arrus75

I've been wary of sitcoms 'programming' for a while. Specifically it's portrayal of men and womens 'roles' - men are often portrayed as bumbling insensitive idiots, while the women are strong and intelligent.

Amen. I turned off the tv several years ago (ok, I confess, I watch Dr. Who and Game of Thrones though I hate to admit it.) I've been saying for the past 15 years that tv teaches us two different sets of things, depending on if they are "comedy" (or so-called "reality show") or "drama":

Comedy/reality shows---and also adult cartoons--- teach:
1) It's cool to be stupid
2) It's cool to put other people down
3) It's cool to be selfish
4) Men are stupid
5) Men are incompetent
6) Women are smarter than men
7) Men need women's help and guidance in order to function

I'm a woman and these kind of shows piss me off.

"Dramas" teach:
1) The world is a big scary place where terrible things happen constantly
2) There's a serial killer/rapist/child molester behind every tree, hiding in ever bush, lurking in every shadow just waiting to get you
3) If by some strange happenstance you avoid all the serial killers/rapists/pedophiles then you're surely going to get some horrific disease that will kill you in the most awful way possible
4) Oh and btw your spouse/lover is probably cheating on you or breaking up with you even if the serial killer hasn't gotten you yet
5) You should BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID. Fear everything and everyone, never let your guard down for a moment cuz the bogeyman will get you if you do, and if you're NOT afraid every second of every day then you're simply a fool.
6) If none of the aforementioned things happen to you (yet) then you're very, VERY lucky, but don't get too confident because the undoubtedly will some day, so BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID...

Ack. Television=brainwashing.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Okay, cop shows, the captain is always black, sitcom, the wife is always the sane one, comedies, the woman has the best lines, military, the EM's run rings around the officers, the list goes on, especially adverts, the husband/boyfriend/father/brother is incredibly stupid, interviews, the wife/sister/mother/daughter will make damn sure to have her say.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join