It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latest Elenin image

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Apparently, this is the latest image of comet Elenin.
I grabbed the link from someone on Twitter...
Nice little gif image if this is actually it..
gustavomuler.fotografiaastronomica.com...

I have no real idea where they found this image.. I am unable to sort out the url to get the originating site, but I'm sure someone here can..

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Nice!

I was a little disappointed to not see the alien armada towing Nibaru trailing behind it.

I really hope there is something to all the Elenin hype, and I hope it is something completely absurd. Such as time travelling hippies in a converted VW spaceship Bus who are just too stoned out of their minds to share any secrets or higher truths with us.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

That gif makes no indication as to which shiny light is actually the comet.

If THAT implies that that moving object in the middle is Comet Elenin...

I'm leaving.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Looksinteresting to say the least, but realistically, IF thats anything other than a comet, whicgh you kinda imply and lots of others speculate, we would never know...3 possibilities, IMOf, if ET; they good or bad either way have not notified me or us, not that im aware. there is 2moro. 3rd, we know, which means our trusted power "guardians."

Off topic, enough of that. interesting, nonetheless. thanks...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

Yes, I believe it is the moving object in the centre..

I don't know what constellation of stars that is in the background.

Sure looks pretty big though.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Ever been in a plane and looked out the window and saw what "1-4 miles" looks like from 35k feet? It looks like a piece of dust for those of you who don't know.
This thing is what.... 30 million miles away? I'm a little confused, how is it this telescopic perspective is so precise for a 1-4 mile wide object?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Ever been in a plane and looked out the window and saw what "1-4 miles" looks like from 35k feet? It looks like a piece of dust for those of you who don't know.
This thing is what.... 30 million miles away? I'm a little confused, how is it this telescopic perspective is so precise for a 1-4 mile wide object?

+1

edit on 7-5-2011 by heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I've found the originating site..
astrosurf.com...

Just had to google gustavomuler.

If these guys are getting this kind of data from their observatory here then how are they doing it..

Look through their site, there is some stunning images

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
This isn't aimed at anyone in this thread, this is just a general remark as I'm getting pretty sick of this 'Elenin' rubbish.

Why restrict yourself to worrying about just one comet?
We're photographing comets every day. Sometimes the media gets bored and picks one at random and people start flapping like it's some rarity. I'm not sure what annoys me more, the dumb media for scaring people for no reason, or the people that refuse to listen when a qualified person tries to explain that there is actually nothing to be worried about. They do this about everything, asteroids, comets, volcanoes, earthquakes... Pretty irresponsible really.
For anyone interested, these are the current observable comets at the MPC webpage, where you can also access data on other objects of interest.

www.minorplanetcenter.net...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Yes you don't need a 'lot' to achieve some amazing images or even to gather data. It's perfectly feasibly and *relatively* (to someone with the knowledge and experience) easy to do anything from detecting exoplanet transits to carrying out spectroscopy using off the shelf equipment. One of the reasons I get annoyed with people prattling on about things being 'hidden' or lied about, is if they spent half the time they do whining on learning and carrying out their own observations they'd be able to see it for themselves. Sadly, I think some people are too scared of the truth
edit on 7-5-2011 by AgentSmith because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
This isn't aimed at anyone in this thread, this is just a general remark as I'm getting pretty sick of this 'Elenin' rubbish.

Why restrict yourself to worrying about just one comet?
We're photographing comets every day. Sometimes the media gets bored and picks one at random and people start flapping like it's some rarity. I'm not sure what annoys me more, the dumb media for scaring people for no reason, or the people that refuse to listen when a qualified person tries to explain that there is actually nothing to be worried about. They do this about everything, asteroids, comets, volcanoes, earthquakes... Pretty irresponsible really.
For anyone interested, these are the current observable comets at the MPC webpage, where you can also access data on other objects of interest.

www.minorplanetcenter.net...

when did the media mentioned comet elenin in a malicious way?

for the rest...conspiracies are our hobbies..why do you think i browse ATS on a daily basis??

if i just wanna hear experts and nerds i just browse NASA websites..

btw ..why are you hear?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I'm trying to find an official link to this Observatorio Nazaret, which is listed on this Wiki page, but I either get a blank page, totally out there references, indications it's located on Lanzarote, Canary Islands, but no such observatory by that name is there, and other go ofy addresses.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

How are they doing it?

Well the image you posted is taken from a Meade LX-200 12" telescope, you can see this because it's written on the image.

It's a decent sized telescope...

Gustavo Muler has been tracking Elenin for sometime now, I've posted some images he's taken of Elenin HERE, along with several other images taken by amateur astronomers.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

WOW, what a setup, thanks for the link, also thanks for the help Cadwickus.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Wow what a textbook response, I swear some of you guys all read from the same manual. Hit a nerve did I?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by heineken

So the real science is of no interest to you, fine. Good luck getting a job.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
My image of Elenin is several days more recent than that, though it was done using a video astronomy setup, not a high quality astronomical CCD setup. Video astronomy emphasizes speed to enable live viewing, so pardon my image's higher noise level, but Elenin was verified using astrometry (I also verified that it moved, though I haven't posted that gif yet):
www.flickr.com...
A magnified view (no interpolation) for clarity:
i319.photobucket.com...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Let's hope you can create a gif that knocks the socks off anything else..

good work.. keep it up..

**EA makes his post, exits left feeling slightly jealous he not got this kind of kit**

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
reply to post by ngchunter

Let's hope you can create a gif that knocks the socks off anything else..

good work.. keep it up..

**EA makes his post, exits left feeling slightly jealous he not got this kind of kit**

I hope so too, but C/2010 X1 isn't going to look impressive at all until it gets much closer. I look forward to it reaching at least Hartley 2 levels of brightness, at which time I'll be able to easily record full motion videos of it that look like this:

At the moment it's extremely faint and requires stacking multiple frames to be able to see it at all, once it gets brighter single frames should show it just fine.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Special planet alignments and Elenin. Too many forums to see if it's been posted.

arxiv.org...

new topics

top topics

join