It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unexplained shortage and stockpiling of certain prescription medication drugs by Pharma

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
bubba the love sponge last week was talking about how the middle east has lithium. that is one of the reasons for wars there. is lithium used in drugs?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dantanna

There is a drug called Lithium, I think it is made from it but this story in mainly about narcotics.

I remember how opium production more than doubled shortly after the war broke out. They were producing more than enough to supply the world.

I also noticed an increase in narcotic drug use here in the US and even in my community. It was quite said and I even had friends fall victim to this addiction.

So my thoughts are that drug abuse may be the cause of this, however I also remember hearing how freeze dried foods were being bought up by the government.
There has been a lot of disasters lately, and also a lot of distractions in the press.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
they probably sending all those pills to japan because it look they are goin to need them for a very long time do to the radiation exposure.that may be a logical explanation!!!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I saw this thread a few days ago and didn't think anything of it. Today I was reading the Webbot report issue 9 from January. This is what it said...

The Markets entity brings in negative language in all three data types starting with the immediacy value sets that have supporting details for [yet more (scandals0] around [money (currency) theft]. The the immediacy sets, the primary level of support is for [pharmaceuticals scandals] to impact [supplies] of [drugs]. The [drug supply reduction] is indicated to be a [trigger] for yet more [visibility] on the part of the [congress critters] as they ['deal] with [yet more reductions (in 'lifestyle')] for [american populace].

Whatever one thinks of the webbot, this seems to be directly related to this thread. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the near future.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
From what I have been able to get from my sources there is no stockpiling of any of the medicines mentioned.

For once I actually believe the official story that it is because of the FDA regulations.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
This would be HUGE if it was really a concern.

Just think about what percentage of the population takes at least one prescription med.

This isn't a mere electronics gadget that you're not getting from Japan, it's possible life-saving meds.

People would communicate about this, and it would be viral in no time.

Source: common sense

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by orbitbaby
What if there is a shortage because they are dumping it into the water supply?
LOL! How's that for conspiracy? Sure seems like people should be a lot more
upset about things then they are. A massive narcotic dump into our water
supply would explain a lot.

Not sure if this is a joke or not... but it's a really silly idea. One, the concentration of narcotic painkillers in water would have to be pretty high to do anything, and at that level would be easy to taste. It would also be very easy to test for. People would be showing positive on drug tests all over the place if that were happening. Plus things like Oxycodone are known to make people MORE agitated and angry, so it would be the opposite of the desired effect of calming down the population.

Originally posted by mike203
they probably sending all those pills to japan because it look they are goin to need them for a very long time do to the radiation exposure.that may be a logical explanation!!!

I don't see the connection.

The dangers in Japan are not from acute radiation poisoning. They are from people developing cancer 10-20 years down the line. So no need for pain meds. Not for years and years to come at least, by that time anything stockpiled now would be far past its "use by" date.

On top of that, the pills the OP is probably talking about are not ones that would be used on someone with acute radiation poisoning. They would give someone dying of radiation poisoning Morphine or Fentynal, not oxycodone or vicodin.

Anyway, I don't think there is some huge plot here. Oxycodone has been in short supply for awhile now. About a year ago a friend of mine constantly had to get different brands or strengths of oxy because the pharmacy was out of his regular brand/dose. Supply was a lot better for awhile, and then a few months ago he had to get substitutions again.

Not saying it's unlikely for the government to know about something and start preparing for it, but painkiller shortages aren't anything new. Plus, if anything I would assume they would stockpile IV morphine or fentanyl as those are the most useful drugs in dealing with injuries from disasters. Oxycodone and the like are long term pain management drugs, not emergency painkillers.

Even though there are shortages on specific drugs, there are tons and tons of opiate pain killers around. Oxymorphone, Hydromorphone, Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, Morphine, Fentanyl, the list goes on and on. Pills, liquids, patches, etc. So they might be out of your specific prescription, but that doesn't mean every type of opiate painkiller out there is disappearing and being hidden away by TPTB.
edit on 9-5-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
articles.nydailynews.com...

shortages in antibiotics, chemotherapy drugs, diuretics, anesthetics, antipsychotics and, yes, even the basic pain-killer morphine

It appears that a large number of cancer treatments, diebetic treatments and pain relief from major surgery is missing.

While pharmeceuticals are making a huge profit and to increase this they have deprived humanity of its basic rights to natural pain relief and medication in nature and are eliminating all the beneficial foods as fast as they can replace them with GMO.

All the while they are poisioning the oceans, and deliberately radiating us.

This is their NAZI eugenics, not only do they want to harm most people, but its social darwinism, they want the majority of poor and even middle class harmed.

There is bound to be a wealthy at the head of the line and those with disabilities, the ones they want to make disappear, undergoing extreme pain and suffering.

And I'm also sure some of these supplies have gone underground to their bases.

This is deliberately done.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

This continues to cause concern and seems to be gathering steam as more and more of the general public become aware of these shortages. I give great credit to the doctor who spoke out in this article. It seems inconceivable that the types of medications cited would be in short supply or that there's no legal mechanism in place to ensure their equal and plentiful supply and distribution. To the contrary, big pharma seems to be in full control of the driver's seat in that there is plenty of legal protection of intellectual property rights provided under Title 35 of the US code (i.e. drug patents), with the primary purpose being to protect the drug company's profit margin, but nothing that legally protects those individuals denied life-saving or sustaining treatment garnered from those medications.

Link

The Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), administered under the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), works to ensure that drugs made available to the public are safe and effective. Companies issuing a new drug are responsible for testing and submitting evidence of the drug's safety to the CDER. During this initial development process, the company usually applies for a patent.

Patent
Obtaining a patent for a new drug typically begins once it is in development and is issued for 20 years. This grants the company enough time to bring the drug to market which can take several years, leaving sufficient time for profitability and recovery of costs.

Process
Drug patents are designed to ensure that enough time is given to the company developing the new drug to research and test it without competing companies infringing on the process. Patents help protect a company's business interest as they make an investment in the costly process of bringing medicines to market.

The disproportionate protections seem to be further supported by the following statement taken directly from the FDA's website:

Link

Companies are required under 21 CFR 314.81(b)(3)(iii) to provide FDA with a six month advance notice of the discontinuation of sole source products that are life-supporting, life-sustaining or for use in the prevention of a debilitating disease or condition.

If I'm reading this correctly, it's basically saying that big pharma, at their own discretion, can arbitrarily stop manufacturing medications that provide the sole treatment or prevention of life threatening or debilitating illnesses. Notwithstanding the six month mandatory notification period required by the FDA, what good does this puny six month warning provide when a drug patent typically lasts 20 years??

So we now have confirmation from someone of authority at a major hospital who is speaking out about missing medications and a statement from the FDA that seems to shed some light on the obligations (or lack thereof) of big pharma in the production and distribution of life-sustaining drugs. From a personal perspective, whether you see this as a "shortage" or potential "stockpiling" of medications is somewhat irrelevant; at the end of the day, we currently have less of these medications than we need and are at the mercy of big pharma to fill that void at their discretion. Something seems very off here and I'm hoping that I'm missing a piece of the puzzle. If there's anyone aware of additional protections, PLEASE feel free to chime in - this is one instance when I would love to be proven wrong!!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Thanks....Timidgal for the information.

A very large part of our population "HAVE TO HAVE" one, or more prescription drugs, every day of their lives, just to be able to function. If there was a major disaster that destroyed the manufacturing facilities of these drugs, a lot of the poulation would be in a severe world of hurt.

Can you imagine being a survivor of a massive national disastor, with all the unimaginable horror that would be associated with that.....and add on top of that....not having access to medications you need to function??

I suffer from Failed Back Surgery Syndrome, and if it were not for Oxycodone, and Lyrica, I would be bed-ridden.
At a time of disaster conditions, I would be worthless to help my neighbors, my family, or myself, without these medications.

Knowing I could not function during an emergency without my medications, I purposely take fewer pills every month, than I am prescribed, so I will have an emergency collection of the meds I need to function.

I feel as a country, we need to have bomb-proof shelters all over the country----containing the most needed, and prescribed medications our population must have.

If we as a country had stockpiles of gasoline, and diesell fuel placed at many locations all around the country, we may not have the massive fuel shortages we have when a Hurricane hits the Gulf Coast, putting a halt to much of our fuel production.

The chaos that would insue after a natural disastor would be bad enough, add into that equation,people going through withdrawal symptoms, or their body shutting down due to not having their normal medications....that would be a chaos I feel no one would like to face.

Maybe cyanide capsules should be a part of our emergency supplies.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Too bad you chronic pain sufferers can't just grow your own opium. it would be much cheaper, and then there would be no major concerns if some manufacturing plant can't keep with demand. Oh yeah, big pharma can't compete against a natural growing plant that can not be patented. i wish i could spend billions on bribes that give me an unfair edge... er i mean lobbyists..

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by zeta55

Zeta - your honest and heartfelt words paint a true portrait of the fear and anxiety we live with and the "we" I'm referring to are the millions of chronic pain sufferers who are innocent victims of circumstances beyond our control. MILLIONS. As much as we can hope that such a day never comes when we find ourselves totally cut off from the medications needed to lead productive lives, I think it would be naive to bury our heads in the sand to what's happening around us and not take proactive steps (like rationing our meds and continuously looking for alternative treatments; much easier said than done, I know). I just keep thinking that long before there was such a thing as pharmaceutical companies and synthetic pain killers, there were things in nature people used for chronic pain. I continue to search for such remedies so that the scenario you so vividly painted does not become my reality and I'll continue to share any and all info with as many people as I can. In the meantime, I found this pretty good organization, the American Chronic Pain Association (not-for-profit organization) which has a website with a lot of useful information. When you have a chance, you should peruse their site. As for myself, I find solace in knowing that I'm not alone and with so many of us out there, I count on our own compassion and propensity to help each other during times of great need than I do on any drug company.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by timidgal

Timidgal....Thanks for the info on the Chronic Pain Sufferers Association. I will definitely check them out.

As far as growing poppy for opium, as another poster stated, I have actually pondered that, in case of an emergency situation. It would be horrible to have no access to pain medication, and have to live in unimaginable pain. And yes....to those of you reading this, thinking I am a wimp...just suck it up and deal with your pain....I say this to you......I hope you never have to deal with chronic pain, the way many of us do. There is no way to explain it....untill you live it. It is a hell I would wish on no one.

Good luck Timidgal.......and to all that suffer from chronic pain.....may a miracle heal us all.....PLEASE!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join