It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tetris Meditation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
You ever play the game Tetris?

I would say you have probabaly played it in some form or another over the years.

Anyway, I was at my local video game store yesterday, and I saw a used Tetris game for the Game Boy Advance. It was cheap so I decided to buy it. I am very glad I did.

I forgot how fun Tetris is. It is so simple, yet so awesome.

When I play Tetris, I enter an almost meditational state.

I really like it.

How does Tetris affect you?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
When I play Tetris for a while and then decide to sleep, I can see the pieces in my head, moving. It's pretty distracting and it keeps me awake.

Also, my tics get a little worse, I suppose it's because of the anxiety the game causes me. Like when you wait forever for a piece and when it finally comes, you put it in the wrong place

edit on 6-5-2011 by Casandra because: Spelling

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

We got tetris worlds for nintendo ds last year, its wack. I miss the o.g. Tetris. I would play for hours and same thing, loose myself in a trance. The next few days i would catch myself singing the tunes from the game. It is kind of like playing tony hawk for a spell then getting in the car to drive somewhere. I would catch myself wanting to ollie n grind stuff, then realizing im in my truck. ..totally disapppinted.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Love tetris! I actually have a gameboy in the bathroom, loaded and ready with tetris. Instead of reading a magazine ill play tetris.
And yes, you get zoned out playing it, ive come out of the bathroom and realize ive been in there for an hour lol

Great game, such simple fun.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
As Cassandra above me mentioned:
The downside of tetris is at night when you're trying to sleep and everytime you close your eyes you're still trying to make lines. The fun quickly turns to frustration when your brain gets locked into one of these loops.
edit on 6-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I played every day since like 5 months. I think very clearly, it helps me to concentrate.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by apocalypticangel
I would catch myself wanting to ollie n grind stuff, then realizing im in my truck. ..totally disapppinted.

That's just so funny

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I was reading about tecniques to charge sigils once, and i found that playing tetris or any other puzzle game while you have the sigil on your vision specter can do the work easily as the other ways... I don't like teris as much i love Bejeweled, and yes, it does put you in a meditative status very fast. Moreso, in the 3rd version of bejeweled there's a "zen mode", that lets you play some bineaural beats in the background and subliminal mantras =s
I still prefeer the diamond mine mode (''.)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Weird because I just went back to school and there is this huge addiction to tetris, the kids play it like crazy, often not even paying attention to class. I always comment (because I'm older) that the kids like my generations games while my generation is all about the next gen stuff.

When I ask a lot of them say it is how they calm down and let out stress.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I got tetris on the ipod, for only $1.99 it's great value. I play it more than angry birds
I'm not sure if I go into a meditational state or what but I do tend to loose track of time when playing it.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Its a 55 minute documentary but its pretty intriguing on how much of an impact tetris really has made.....if you have spare time later or in the near future, take a look at it, good story:

Tetris: From Russia With Love
www.geek-documentaries.com...

edit on 7-5-2011 by topherman420 because: grammar gremlin made me

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I still have my old grey Gameboy, there is a line running through the screen and the volume doesn't work without headphones, but I can still jam out to my Tetris. I still have the original Tetris too. It says patent pending on the game cartridge.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

"I'm no expert, but I know what #ed up looks like."
reply to post by watchitburn

That's just hilarious.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Tetris one of the only good things that came from the USSR. Alexey Pajitnov made a simple solid game that has aged very well.Tetris has sold over 125 million copies in 25 years, since it's creation in 1984.Those numbers even make mario's daddy cringe.I like what the game can do for your concentration and hand eye coordination when played at high speeds.But the game's redundancy kills it for me after a few minutes.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by topherman420

Whoa, dude, seriously cool documentary there. A very bizarre story and one I never knew about, so many thanks for that.

Here's a mildly interesting song, it uses the music from Tetris as a basis.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
When I play Tetris, I zone in like a mofo. I had it on an old cell phone, and one day I played one game without stopping for eight hours. It was very much a meditative state after a while. I was one with the game, my reactions and thoughts entirely part of it. It was perhaps the most ridiculous, dorky "important" experience I've had. And it gave me the third or fourth highest reported tetris score in the world.

I love Tetris. It is easy and difficult all at once. Deceptively simple.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Im glad you enjoyed it. Tetris has one heck of a story and deserves its pedastal. Your video brought back alot of memories from games over the years. Thanks for the clip.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Casandra
When I play Tetris for a while and then decide to sleep, I can see the pieces in my head, moving. It's pretty distracting and it keeps me awake.

You want to try having the same problem with games like Fallout 3/New Vegas! Just about to fall asleep, then WHAM, big Demon charging into your face. It's annoying.

new topics

top topics

join