It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we embrace conspiracy theories?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Looks like the full court press is on:

globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com...

A few thoughts struck me as I read this article by Fareed Zakaria:

First, there is this subtle sentence.

America was founded as a revolt against centralized power and there has always been a fear of coordinated action taking place in the dark behind closed doors.

In other words, if you talk about revolting against your government (which seems to be getting more common, even among the "conservatives"), you'll be labelled a conspiracy theorist/nut job.

Second, conspiracy theorists are tied in with Arab nations:

The Arab world is also full of conspiracy theories and many analysts blame them on the prevalence of dictatorships.

And I have a thought on THIS quote:

If only the people who wrote the alarmist treatises on the Bilderberg Group were allowed in. They would be so utterly disappointed. It’s just a conference like dozens of others around the world.

Hey Fareed, THIS IS A GREAT IDEA! Why don't you contact your Bilderberg buddies and let us in? Better yet, why not have the conferences broadcast live on CSPAN, if they're just like other conferences?

And finally, the classic "anti-conspiracy theory/you guys are crazy" statement:

And anyway, the idea that a finance minister or a banker would say something with a group of 150 people that is any different than what he would say in public is crazy in today's world where everything leaks instantly.

Not necessarily, Mr. Zakaria. If that many people are all working toward the same goal, they will likely all remain quiet. There were probably around the same number of people with knowledge of the operation against Osama's compound prior to it happening, but nothing "leaked out". No one knew outside that group knew about it until afterward.
edit on 6-5-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: cleaned up to not sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
It's the distrust of TPTB that drives us to search for the truth...

That search reveals some very interesting coincidences that lead to hypothesis, and theories...

Some of those theories are true.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
If I have common freaking sense, and think ideas based on that sense, and someone "Happens to randomly" call me a conspiracy theorist, I don't care.

I like theorizing and speculating about things, because I am a thinker.

You can call me all the names you want, but it doesn't really change reality does it?

Sticks and stones.....

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Good post! All those in power really have no power against the conspiracy theorists besides denouncing and slandering them with no hard facts or evidence.

Also if there is nothing to hide then why all the secrecy? I'm sure we could get some great insight on TPTB if we were actually able to sit in on their little meetings.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Also let's write Mr. Zakaria and ask him why CNN never covers the Bilderburger or CFR or Trilateral or Pilgrim Society meetings??

WHY IS IT IGNORED????

Because it's hidden away in the shadows!

Even a 3rd grader would realize there is treachery afoot.
This isn't exactly rocket science or anything...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
why do we embrace religious theories? why do we embrace scientific theories?

because not everything is how it seems.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I'll agree that the prevalence of dictators brings rise to conspiracy theories since the dictators are constantly lying about what they are conspiring to do.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Well all that says to me is, he's a scared little puppy

If I smell a rat in my house, it's gota go.
That's how I think, it's common sense.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Because somebody has to.

Question everything.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
If they want to attribute the high volume of Basic Questioning of Authority in the Middle East to the prevalence of dictators, I want to take it further.

The high volume of Basic Questioning of Authority in the Western world might also be attributed to the prevalence of dictators in our own slice of the world.

Most corporations have consolidated their markets so successfully, and merged with their competition so many times, that the "free market" has become more like a "dictated controlled market".

I feel like that's what the government authorities do to me too. They get on TV and dictate to me HOW THINGS ARE GONNA BE. And I am sick of it.

Maybe I would accept authority if they were decent folks with legitimate proposals, but all these guys keep turning out to be dirty corrupt criminals. Their proposals always turn out to have two layers as well.

Layer 1) What they want us to think their proposal means and will accomplish.
Layer 2) What the proposal will actually accomplish and how bad they don't want us to realize that.

Not just dictators, but lying dictators who use psychologists to figure out the best way to lie to me. Again it's a failure because if they had decent psychologists, I wouldn't be here griping now would I?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

You, sir, are a bonified conspiracy theorist!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
i believe in them because i realize how elitists think. that they are here to lead. they are lead by ego. if you were smart, rich and privileged you would do the same. they have contempt for "the plebeian" and look at us as fodder. its human nature. they feed their egos by believing they control the masses. but we're smarter than they think we are.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I am skeptical of 90 % of the theories. I have learned a lot from posting here, when folks discuss rather than flame, it can be very informative.

so from the "outside" I can tell you there are just a two simple things that hurt the cause, imho

1) there is a difference between an idea, evidence, and proof. posting a youtube video of another persons opinion is not proof of anything. stop framing ideas, opinions and theories as proof. learn the difference

2) be skeptical even if something supports your view or opinion. ask for independent corroboration, verification, and hold that item to the same level of scrutiny as you would for an item that disputes your view or opinion

fwiw

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
i think the human race is adventeros

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
adverturouas

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
adventurous

new topics

top topics