It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apparel company dumps Mendenhall over bin Laden tweets

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Wang Tang

It's pretty sad that Americans no longer respect the right to other Americans to freely express their views.

Mendenhall didn't say these comments from a company computer, or at a company sponsored event, he said it from the privacy of his own home on the internet on his own dime.

So would you like to say be fired from your job because you said you like Ozzie Ozborne, or quagamole, or wearing pastels?

All of these things might be considered offesive to someone.

His firing was a political statement by the company, and that's just disgusting, not only does it impinge on Mendenhalls right to free speech, but it's meant as an act to intimidate other celebrities from speaking out in 'politically uncorrect ways'.

This isn't a moral issue where they guy was caught cheating on his wife, at a swingers club or an orgy, fighting dogs or doing illegal drugs.

This is a man exercising his constitutional right to question the government and have a personal opinion and to voice it, voicing it on his own time and dime.

I hope people do boycott Sara Lee and all it's subsidiaries and fire them for being nothing but a fascist tool of the corporate government.

People who think Fascism is Nazism and or simply being anti-Semetic as many people foolishly do, you need to look up the meaning of the word.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

ATS isnt the only place people are paid to promote opinions. In fact, I would be willing to guess its even more likely to occur in comment sections like the one you link to because there is little oversight, and the reading public is less likely to be aware and alert to the possibility of propaganda by the commentators.

I dont let an apparent majority, or even an actual majority tell me how to think or speak in the US.

Marcus Aurelius said, and I paraphrase, "Its better to stand alone than with 10,000 madmen." And it is.

And that is ever more true in America in 2011 when false consensus is being pushed everywhere from internet chat rooms, to comment boards, to the MSM.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
ATS isnt the only place people are paid to promote opinions. In fact, I would be willing to guess its even more likely to occur in comment sections like the one you link to because there is little oversight, and the reading public is less likely to be aware and alert to the possibility of propaganda by the commentators.

Yea but the sheer volume of people commenting on that article proves that the general public is in fact siding AGAINST Mendenhall. There were at least 10 comments per minute and every time I finished reading the comments and refreshed the page a whole new batch of comments was in, so I don't think it was people being paid to promote opinions. Americans in general actually ARE blindly patriotic.

I think it has to do with the fact that no one gives a damn about America as a whole until something like 9/11 or Osama's death happens, they have to be extra patriotic to make up for not giving a damn the rest of their lives. So people aren't only being blindly patriotic on public forums like the yahoo comments section, they are subconsciously trying to cover their own butts because they are insecure about their own patriotism.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Wow-Castro was being all high and mighty about how people shouldn't be unfairly executed??Really??

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skippy1138
Wow-Castro was being all high and mighty about how people shouldn't be unfairly executed??Really??

Wrong thread? Or am I missing a connection here. I did mention Castro in one of my posts but I don't see the connection.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Hopefully people have the good sense to boycott this company now, and won't tolerate this kind of corporate intrusion on the sanctity of free speech.

Shouldn't be too difficult to do since their low quality products pretty much suck. I haven't bought anything from them in decades. It doesn't come close to competing with Nike, Adidas and other high end sportswear. As for the Sara Lee cakes, there are enough chemicals in one of those cakes to have it declared a Weapon of Mass Destruction.

In the long run, it's better for Mendenhall to be on the correct side of history than to be joined at the hip to a bunch of schmucks.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by SphinxMontreal
Shouldn't be too difficult to do since their low quality products pretty much suck. I haven't bought anything from them in decades. It doesn't come close to competing with Nike, Adidas and other high end sportswear. As for the Sara Lee cakes, there are enough chemicals in one of those cakes to have it declared a Weapon of Mass Destruction.

In the long run, it's better for Mendenhall to be on the correct side of history than to be joined at the hip to a bunch of schmucks.

Don't get too caught up thinking the general public is siding with you and us on ATS. Mendenhall is seen as being on the wrong side of history.

If you see my earlier post on what was said in the comments section for the article on Yahoo, most everyone has thrown in support for CHAMPION, not Mendenhall. I saw at least 3 people say something along the lines of, "I just went out to the store and bought some Champion clothes."

On ATS, we are generally for Mendenhall, but don't get caught up thinking we are the majority. We are almost never the majority. Champion got the better end of this deal because they attracted media attention for politics when their spokesperson was an athlete.

Mendenhall was not suitable to be a spokesperson? How does having an NFL player who makes controversial political statements affect the reputation of Champion at all? It's not like when Mendenhall says something I say "Oh Champion is a bad company because Mendenhall says controversial political statements." No, who the hell even knew that Mendenhall was Champion's spokesperson!?!?!?

But obviously the general public did not catch on. Horray for blind patriotism. It's what keeps our country sane.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Go to page one of this thread-11th post down.....

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TrowaBarton

Throwing out stuff you already bought makes no sense

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by dontknowanything

Yeah I already owned it but I do not want to walk around advertising a company that's actions I find ridiculous and knee jerk. True they already got my money, but the free advertising they get from me wearing it and the possible sales from someone purchasing the same item or another of the champion line from aforementioned advertising will not happen so It made perfect sense to me.

Trowa
edit on 10/5/11 by TrowaBarton because: n/m

top topics

<< 1   >>

join