It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Demand Firefox Remove Add-On That Redirects Seized Domains

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Feds Demand Firefox Remove Add-On That Redirects Seized Domains

www.wired.com

The Department of Homeland Security has requested that Mozilla, the maker of the Firefox browser, remove an add-on that allows web surfers to access websites whose domain names were seized by the government for copyright infringement, Mozilla’s lawyer said Thursday.

But Mozilla did not remove the MafiaaFire add-on, and instead has demanded the government explain why it should.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Once again internet censorship shines it's ugly mug in the golden rays of daylight. Feds, I guess, are shutting down sites under the same statute used to seize drug dens.
At least Mozilla has some back-talk in 'em.

I'm sure the Feds will cooperate completely and asses Mozilla's questions promptly and politely.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
sweet work Fire fox

I grabbed it cause the USA gov is evil so stuff they block is prob good

addons.mozilla.org...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I wonder if the Feds made this App, to see who downloads it. Say if they blocked ATS and we grabbed this App they'd track who downloaded it, who goes to that certain site without having to raid the servers or whatever they do??

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I hope Mozilla stands strong, however its hard to beat the feds in court.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dwmjr1985

It's borderline impossible to beat the feds in court. They run the courts! There is a Justus system in the US but most certainly not a Justice system.

If you plan to take on the Feds in court, you MUST do so in State court. Otherwise you might as well be prepared to lose.
edit on 6-5-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

I agree with you. I have heard of a few cases, albeit very few, that people have one in court. One man beat ATF in a court battle with no lawyers, it was entrapment. I also think he beat them in state court like you said. So it could happen, however this is dealing with copy right issues, and i can't remember anyone beating that case. RIAA and the MPAA have the feds in their back pocket
edit on 6-5-2011 by dwmjr1985 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by UcDat
sweet work Fire fox

I grabbed it cause the USA gov is evil so stuff they block is prob good

addons.mozilla.org...

Wow, I just grabbed it too! I''m proud of them for taking the stand of not following a bad fascist order and standing still, and questioning it.

This is what we all need to do. Not follow bad orders. Not go to war if called. Not stay silent when we know info that others should know. Thats a big one. We don't have to take every boat that comes along, standing still is the best answer and standing our ground.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheseFeveredEgos

I've been debating on ditching Google Chrome and using Firefox again. I think this gives me the extra push to finally do it. Don't suppose there's much hope for them if it goes to court, but gotta love them for not just running off with their tails between their legs!

Switching to Firefox now.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

You act as if deciding between the two takes some sort of incredible introspective journey.

It doesn't. Install both, use whatever you want.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

It doesn't matter.. anyone can make an add-on...

I love open source :-)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem

It's borderline impossible to beat the feds in court. They run the courts! There is a Justus system in the US but most certainly not a Justice system.

If you plan to take on the Feds in court, you MUST do so in State court. Otherwise you might as well be prepared to lose.
edit on 6-5-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

Or you can do it on the internet...

Stopping a Firefox add-on from existing is like stopping someone from picking their nose... Anyone can make an add-on...

it can't be stopped...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by R3N3G4D3
I wonder if the Feds made this App, to see who downloads it. Say if they blocked ATS and we grabbed this App they'd track who downloaded it, who goes to that certain site without having to raid the servers or whatever they do??

Dude you are soooo paranoid

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

you avatar is freaking me out!
On-topic: You just know now that the amount of people who are going to download that now will sky rocket due to this extra attention!.Love the irony

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
good for mozilla. and might i ask what the hell does copyright infringement have to do with homeland secruity. is bin ladens successor sitting some where in pakistan mixing a sound bomb into stolen mp3s no . why do we let obama and his coporate stooges steal our rights.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

This was my first thought, as well. I'm sure I didn't get the memo defining copyright law as a national security issue; or is it possible that this is sure proof that the only reason for DHS to exist is to intimidate the people into submission.

Good for Mozilla, for at least questioning this heavy handedness.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Im sure you are all aware who owns bing "Microsoft" and why firefox is using the bing add on now. dont fall for it

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
yeah the biggest thief of all time bill gates. how did he get rich he stole software from other companies and marketed as his own hello windos and dos both were created by other people and he stole them from them.so of couarse he wants to block those sites so he can keep people from getting free software

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Checkout their website, they have a chrome version as well...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TheseFeveredEgos

"people should not be afraid of their governments,
governments should be afraid of their people"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join