It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debunking what isn't there

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I have very much come to dislike the acronym, MSM (MainStream Media, my capitalization). Worst bit of propaganda on the ATS at the moment. It's the ultimate bogeyman, yet means absolutely nothing when discussed about with rational thought. Seems to me, the MSM is whatever organization/group/concept/fabrication that disagrees with your absolute truth. No matter how many ways from Sunday, that absolute truth can be literally ripped to shreds in most cases. The MSM is the all-knowing, all-powerful eye of The Powers That Be (TPTB, another superbly empty cliché), the same godly power that controls every facet of your existence. It's such a nebulous, nefarious concept that makes a perfect windmill to tilt at. Yet disappears everytime rational thought is applied. Funny how that works. If your going to blame the MSM, or TPTB, then you've lost before you've even begun. Deny Ignorance, Apply Discernment.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
"Tilting at Windmills" should replace "Deny Ignorance" as ATS moves more towards a clearinghouse of silly than a place of educated debate.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I tend to disagree with your assessment.

I believe that most people understand the term "MSM" as referring to big money corporate interests which control the flow of information for various purposes.

In many instances it is inferred that "MSM" indicates government involvement hidden from the view of the mainstream public, or if not hidden, than misconstrued and poorly understood.

This is used in contrast to the idea of "a normal person on the street".

Normal people on the street are not typically governed by external billion dollar hidden agendas (that they are aware of). Rather, people on the street tend to speak their minds uncensored.

On the "MSM" censorship is king, and billion-dollar agendas run the show.

MSM = CNN CBS ABC NBC BBC AJ RT Xinhua etc etc etc.
They are either government or corporate controlled-funded mouthpieces who are willing to twist the truth or outright lie to protect their sponsors and increase the power and prestige of their sponsors.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
"Tilting at Windmills" should replace "Deny Ignorance" as ATS moves more towards a clearinghouse of silly than a place of educated debate.

People were saying that 5years ago.

I just find it perplexing that somehow ATS is always in a constant state of "that" what you just posted.

So basically ATS is stuck in purgatory, in between insane and intelligent forever doomed to never know which one is which?

What I am really trying to say here is: You are totally off the mark.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

I believe that most people understand the term "MSM" as referring to big money corporate interests which control the flow of information for various purposes.

In many instances it is inferred that "MSM" indicates government involvement hidden from the view of the mainstream public, or if not hidden, than misconstrued and poorly understood.

Normal people on the street are not typically governed by external billion dollar hidden agendas (that they are aware of). Rather, people on the street tend to speak their minds uncensored.

They are either government or corporate controlled-funded mouthpieces who are willing to twist the truth or outright lie to protect their sponsors and increase the power and prestige of their sponsors.

Let us not forget, that these media giants are run mostly by normal, average folks, just like us. There is not some Sauron-like giant eyeball that issues orders and decrees, at least I think there isn't. Now that, would make a cracking conspiracy thread.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I disagree again.

They "WERE" normal folks until they signed those contracts and agreed to specific terms and conditions.

They are now representatives of the corporations they work for, and are no longer "normal folks".

Do you know what a non-disclosure agreement is?

Normal folks on the street don't typically have each other sign contracts like this.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
So now the MSM is run by zombie-drones doing the bidding of the great eye? I think I'm beginning to the get the hang of this now.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by crudos

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Let us not forget, that these media giants are run mostly by normal, average folks, just like us. There is not some Sauron-like giant eyeball that issues orders and decrees, at least I think there isn't. Now that, would make a cracking conspiracy thread.

I would actually like to find some decent evidence for someone at least testifying to any instructions to report the news in any specific way other than the way their personality projects from their experience in journalism. I understand that usually all mainstream assimilate to the same breaking news around the same time, but if someone could just come up with the evidence that the news is encouraged to spin stories in a specific direction, it would be appreciated.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by juveous

I would actually like to find some decent evidence for someone at least testifying to any instructions to report the news in any specific way other than the way their personality projects from their experience in journalism. I understand that usually all mainstream assimilate to the same breaking news around the same time, but if someone could just come up with the evidence that the news is encouraged to spin stories in a specific direction, it would be appreciated.

What if that "evidence" is proprietary corporate information and legally their property and by releasing that information you would be sued in court, all the information would be redacted via court orders, etc?

If a Corporation keeps information secret, does that mean it doesn't exist?

To me it means they have the upper hand.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

This is also a Capitalist country, so it only makes sense to keep that upperhand among competitors - however I believe there is a difference between noticing a bias theme among news sources and agenda style propaganda - point being, if major news sources, especially in Television, are sourcing propaganda, then these anchors, talk show hosts and commentators are reinventing the definition of the term, because they actually believe what they are telling us is the truth, which would really mean the misleading information is poisoned by the initial source and not the reporter.
edit on 8-5-2011 by juveous because: spelling

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
When dealing with information from the big media outlets, one must always remember three things.

1. Profit must be made by whatever means necessary.

2. To make profit, the viewer/listener must keep coming back.

3. Many viewers/listeners = happy advertisers, see #1.

Nowhere do I mention that facts and truth have anything to with these corporate media-types.
Now thats entertainment.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: crudos
Just going back through some old posts, and have to say I agree with my assessment more than ever.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   
The "MSM" plays both sides of everything and this is important for several reasons but for the sake of time, just like any enterprise, their loyalty and views can be directed to whatever subjectivity they're being paid to reflect. Because of that, and the laws of power, control, and corruption we have boards like this. PSYOPS are used throughout every classification of information whether its art, music, video, or books. The ultimate battlefield is the mind. Warlords understand this on a level that civilians only fiddle with and because of that their resources pour into information operations. Many of these fool hardy ventures amount to nothing but some of them engineer major events and in some cases decimate their enemy in more ways than one. In the age of Aquarius we now live in, the age of knowing, we are faced with an exponential increase in the intensity and frequency of disinformation operations. Seeing through all of the masterful distortions on the part of the MSM can be so overwhelming that many just give up without a fight. As Rockefeller once said, "Thank you to our friends in the press who attended our meetings and reported nothing of our plans until the time was right." It's all one big inside job with an end game of absolute control...

top topics

join