It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jehovah Witnesses and critical bible students, Please listen up.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
A. Stop knocking at my door claiming to offer me the "truth"
If you are going to knock on my door, be prepared right then and there to offer me TRUTH.Or at least have some knowledge with credentials to debate religion or christian theology. I do not want to come to your kingdom hall and listen to an elder explain what you can not.Why are you sent to my house? why not someone who knows their field of study.

B. You must be a complete idiot to assume that I have not been exposed to "The Good News". I dont think that there is a person in the world who does not know about Jesus least alone the bible.
Why do you think that the New Translation of the Holy Scriptures is the correct translation of the Bible?The book you call the bible is an abomination. Shame on you !

C. Why have you replaced what the Jews held in reverence with the word Jehovah. Listen close,JEHOVAH is not a word.This is NOT Gods name.

D. Guess What? were all going to heaven. Yep, every single one of Gods creatures are going to heaven. God made us and saw that his creation was GOOD.

Here is the truth,

Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

How can good produce evil... IT CANT !!!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I'm not going to heaven because God didn't make me.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Theophorus

lmao...

but chances are the ones who knocked on your door don't believe they are going to heaven... 99% of JW's don't... they believe the reward for their class is everlasting paradise on earth...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
They are not "critical" bible students.

They are totally unquestioning of literal interpretation without doing barely any research at all.

They are blind bible students typically.

Me? I am a "critical" student of the Bible. I am not religious really, I am just referring to it as a historical academic document packed full of all types of interesting things. The key is to distance yourself from attachment with any particular interpretation, and to remain open minded to the many various interpretations.

I do not go door to door preaching though, because I realize that even I haven't a clue what is really going on at Earth yet (no one knows imho), but as a truth seeker I am open to review any documents available including religious texts like the Bible.

I spread myself out all over though, and my interests are generalized. I will look for answers everywhere, any old texts or tablets from the distant past hold keys to unlocking the myriad of mysteries permeating the fabric of our modern society.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Seems that you are not familiar with the term 'Critical' when it comes to bible students. These are those who follow the Alexandrian text-type as opposed to the Byzantine text-type. common error no less. you are either one or the other. Oh I see that you are nether (My bad).However, that is still not a theological conclusion to the answer of God.The easy way out though.
edit on 6-5-2011 by Theophorus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

There are some apocrypha books of the bible that also state that eventually all would be brought to heaven. They threw it out for fear that people people would do as they please... not that they don't already.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

dear OP, this is more like a whinging, whining letter u could have written to JWs,

NOT used as a thread starter...

u can believe what u want, but if u want to make a thread, start with facts,

not a display of your own ignorance...

seeya

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theophorus
If you are going to knock on my door, be prepared right then and there to offer me TRUTH.Or at least have some knowledge with credentials to debate religion or christian theology. I do not want to come to your kingdom hall and listen to an elder explain what you can not.Why are you sent to my house? why not someone who knows their field of study.

B. You must be a complete idiot to assume that I have not been exposed to "The Good News". I dont think that there is a person in the world who does not know about Jesus least alone the bible.
Why do you think that the New Translation of the Holy Scriptures is the correct translation of the Bible?The book you call the bible is an abomination. Shame on you !

C. Why have you replaced what the Jews held in reverence with the word Jehovah. Listen close,JEHOVAH is not a word.This is NOT Gods name.

D. Guess What? were all going to heaven. Yep, every single one of Gods creatures are going to heaven. God made us and saw that his creation was GOOD.

Here is the truth,

Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

God has not created evil, evil is just the absence of good.

When Jehovah created the earth it was good, man had not yet sinned, however since Adam and Eve we have inherited sin. Accepting Jesus Christ is a way to inherit god's kingdom, also those who have died have paid for their sins. Those who never have a chance to hear god's word may also inherit gods's kingdom.

Unfortunately you have been blinded by your own anger and frustration. I do not understand your problem with Jehovah's Witnesses.

"first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Hopefully you can care enough to judge your own standing with god before you judge others. Jehovah's Witnesses are fully aware of what they believe, and are well meaning and well researched, they need not to "listen up" to you.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I say print this baby out, get it laminated and post it on your front door!

Then figure out your own salvation between you and your Maker with no one else in between...

peace

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

The One forming light and creating darkness,
Causing well-being and creating calamity;
I am the LORD who does all these.

”—Isaiah 45:7,

45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

7 I form light and create darkness, (BK)
I make success and create disaster; (BL)
I, the LORD, do all these things.

Lets just say ... You might be wrong about God not creating evil.

By the way notice how he's trying to convince the guy about him being the only one ? Weird huh.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theophorus

Here is the truth,

I grew up a JW so I'll try to defend them. But I haven't gone in years so I might get some of this wrong. You can get upset that they use the name Jehovah, but in fairness, when talking about the Son everybody uses the name Jesus when I'm pretty sure that his name was Yeshua.

You said that everybody is going to heaven. But the original intention was for man to live on Earth in a paradise. If the Bible is a book with themes and man starts in a paradise then what does the end of the book say about where man will be? Rev. 21 sounds an awful like like man will be living on Earth. Matthew 25:34 "Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:" Psalms 37:10,11 "For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be, But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace." I have a bunch of these type of scriptures in my notes from the old days, I could go on and on about how it says mans place is on Earth.

How can evil come about? The belief is that everything was given free will, to either follow God's will or not. What is your definition of evil? I think that matters.

You can hate on them if you want, but they don't go to war, they teach people to stand against the UN, and they just try to spread the message of the Bible that Jesus taught about love and that we have to mimic his attitude and that just knowing about him isn't enough. Let me ask you a question, do people understand that Jesus taught love instead of war? Do they really? Really?
edit on 7-5-2011 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-5-2011 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Explanation: Uhmmm?

Here ....

How to Get Rid of Jehovah's Witnesses [wikihow.com]

Jehovah's Witnesses sincerely believe that we're living in the last days, most people are trapped in false religion, and it is their commission to preach the good news of God's Kingdom that will solve all of mankind's problems. They want you to be a part of that wonderful future.

They will often schedule a Bible study with one of their publications for you, if you show interest.

If you are not interested in speaking to them, it is easy to get rid of them without getting angry or being rude.

3 Request to be put on a 'Do Not Call' list. Your house is part of a numbered territory card. A congregations total territory will be divided up into these small territory cards. At any given time many of these are in circulation with various "publishers" (a responsible JW preacher). Usually included with each card is a "do not call" list. So, if you want on that list, you need to tell the person who called at your door. Someone in their group will likely have the territory card with them. Be polite when making this request.

Personal Disclosure: I am a disfellowshiped baptised brother of the JW's and I am no longer a practicing Christian. The Solution is a simple as asking to be placed on THEIR do not call list! No need to argue theology AT ALL!

edit on 7-5-2011 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix buggy quote bbcode.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
1.2 million yr old human jaw bone found =/

explain this to me

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashtonkusher
1.2 million yr old human jaw bone found =/

explain this to me

That's a question for all groups not one. As far as people that go around trying to teach peace, is that really so bad compared to what other people teach?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

That implication is very misleading - it implies that causation is a nessasary assumption regarding reality and the universe. Or that a "creator" is truth rather than an assumption.

"maker" lol

Instead of trying to seem like you know the truth, just say "i believe there is a maker", don't claim there is.
edit on 7/5/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

it implies that causation is a nessasary assumption regarding reality and the universe
wouldnt one with reasonable intelligence realize that we are all receivers of existence.Thus being, doesnt it strike you odd that the universe is only composed of receivers of existence? A reasonable person would reason that only something that possesses existence can pass it on to its receiver. Your statement makes no sense. To reason that there is a 'maker' is actually the most intelligent "assumption" one could make.
[
edit on 7-5-2011 by Theophorus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

I say print this baby out, get it laminated and post it on your front door!

Then figure out your own salvation between you and your Maker with no one else in between...

peace

Thanks silo. its funny that atheists, agnostics, Buddhists, Muslim, ect. don't bother me so much. But put a JW or a Mormon in the twist of things , I get angry.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

It's an assumption that because something exists that it has a designer.

Richard Dawkins criticises this philosophical assumption in his book "The Blind Watchmaker"

It's safe to assume there is a designer if you come across a watch in nature. Just because humans exist doesn't mean it has magically been put into existence by a maker. And in actuality, there is evidence proving the contrarary. That we evolved from lesser beings, evolution having no forsight, never being able to "go back to the drawing board" - NEver magically picking out parts to put together in real time.

We can assume that a watch has a maker, because parts don't just magically form together. But it's an assumption to say humans or existence has a maker.

It would be better to listen to, or read Richard Dawkin's comments on this assumption of a creator.

I find it interesting that you claim your position is the most intelligent. What about fractal theory. The idea that reality is infinite.

Everything appears fractal, humans have humans, gallaxies give birth to stars, universes give birth to gallaxies, maybe there's something larger at work, perhaps infinity is true, there is no fininty to reality.

All i state is that a creator is one possibility, but assuming one possibility is not intelligent, especially considering how little we know about the universe and reality.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

It's an assumption that because something exists that it has a designer.
No, its common sense to assume that we (humans) and every living thing ,and all non living things, exist.
A lake at the bottom of a mountain "EXISTS" because snow at the top of the mountain melted and thus formed a lake. The grand canyon "EXISTS" because a river carved its way though rock. YOU, "EXIST" because your parents willed you into existence, unless you were an accident. Question remains, how can anything "EXIST" without something being responsible or the cause for its existence. IT CAN NOT !!. In reference to Richard Dawkins, you can either think for your self or attach your belief to someone else's ideological belief who really has no theory at all. Looks like you choose the latter.

edit on 7-5-2011 by Theophorus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Ha, your type of argument disgusts me.

I don't attach myself other people's point of view, and i especially don't assert that one possibility to reality is truth or a "more intelligent choice" - That would be unintelligent.

If it was the case that there was any logical or empirical evidence for a deity, Most rational thinkers would adhere to that belief. Most of the great thinkers do not. And a majority of the world's top scientists are non-believers are "Atheists" - If there was that much evidence, i'm sure the scientists would be quick to renounce their positions.

It's an assumption to say because humans have humans, that's God's must have "reality" - It's actually an absurd postulation.

It's the logic path of that of conclusion jumper, someone who does not care for proper investigation.

If you assume one theory, you have to take the risk that you could be proved wrong at later date, I save myself the ridicule and suspend judgement.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join