It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

free oxygen from genetic super tree

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Just a thought, after reading the "amazon is the world lungs" thread... Scientists should study about what tree's and plants give off the most oxygen and eats up the most carbon dioxide, genetically cross them together make it stronger, taller and more lush and make artificial forests of them all over. Therefore cleaning the air and giving off more oxygen to make up for the tons of forests we burnt down. Why hasnt this been thought of before, or at least tried. I'm sure this isnt very hard to do. They could alter the growing rate and time it takes for it to be fully grown. Its time to put genetics to good use and make the world cleaner. Think of the possibilities. They are endless

thanks

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Umm I don't think thats a very good idea since GM tech. is still pretty hit and miss. What type of other side affects could this have on the local ecosystem? I am very wary of any GM plant released into the wild because we have no idea what will happen exactly. I say we should do lots of tests in say a BioSphere type project first then see what happens.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Since when is there a lack of oxygen?

*takes a deep breath* Um..nope, I'm good.

The loss of forest is loss of diversity more than anything else and one super plant won't help that.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The reason is because trees are not the only ones that produced the oxygen in this earth but also the rain forest of the ocean.

Air pollution kills more than 2.7 million people annually.

[edit on 31-7-2004 by marg6043]

E_T

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The reason is because trees are not the only ones that produced the oxygen in this earth but also the rain forest of the ocean.

And northern coniferous forest zone is also other big CO2 eater/source of oxygen.
Actually it's vegetation in northern hemisphere which causes this seasonal cycle in CO2 amount:

Real site seems to be down so:
216.239.59.104...:-6TAqe7HbnUJ:www.co2science.org/subject/other/co2amp.htm+hawaii+co2+amount&hl=fi

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Very interesting E_T, I never knew the relationship between this cycle and our leves of oxigen.

MBF

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I also feel that excessive clearing of trees adds to global warming. Go stand in an asphalt parking lot on a hot summer day then go stand under a tree and see if there is a difference. I don't see a need for GM trees unless there is a specific benefit from the tree. I also agree with sardion2000, we don't know what will happen if a GM tree is introduced into the ecosystem. From my experience with GM plants I have found that sometimes you create new problems while you are trying to solve others.

new topics

top topics

join