It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One hell of a storm is here

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
(HI OPS please move to appropriate news topic if I have posted it to the wrong place, thanks)

We are having the worst storm here in Cumbria, UK. it started around 830pm GMT and is still going now at 1100pm GMT as I type this.

The reason I am posting this is because its the worst storm I have ever experienced and I am not sure that a thunder / lightening storm should last a good 2.5 hours. in 37 years I have never seen one last more than 20 minutes in the UK. The thunder is really loud and the lighting is what you would see in the films, the clouds have weird formations when it started and obviously now I cant see the sky but its looks weird when the lightening hits.

I know we were to expect a storm tonight/tomorrow but this one was weird.. any ideas what we are experiencing.

I tried to film it but after about 25 X 1 minute clips not sure what ive got
I am just trying to add some of the videos I took now hope it works ok

img38.imageshack.us...
img651.imageshack.us...

edit on 6/5/11 by psyclops777 because: error

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
We sometimes get some really long loud ones here too.

For the sake of safety, if the lightning is close, stay inside, stay off of the phone, and stay away from the water taps. All pets should be in the house.

Turn off, and unplug anything electrical that might be damaged from an electrical surge, like the TV, stereo, and the microwave. I hope you're on a battery dependent laptop, or have a good surge protector.

Enjoy the light show.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I have no Idea what could be going on with the weather in your area but you captured a few really great lightning strikes in those videos!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I'm not sure if that's uncommon where you're from but to have a storm last that long isn't uncommon, IMO. I'm actually jealous, we haven't really had too many good storms yet this year.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I am 58 yrs old now and I have never seen storms like the ones I have seen in the past 8 months....That goes for the unusual snow storms we had and all these serious tornadic storms also...It is really getting pretty bad....Be safe....

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Cool what are the chances of this perfect storm heading down to the southe east coast in the next few hours ?

Childrens parade tomorrow, and I really would rather the rain and co tonight, and not when I am carrying a giant (and I am not exaggerating here ) Sun tomorrow .

Keep Safe

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by psyclops777

.. any ideas what we are experiencing.

edit on 6/5/11 by psyclops777 because: error

A Canadian thunderstorm... give it back!!!!! I too hope you are on a battery operated laptop or have a really good surge protector!! I've lost more than one motherboard during a storm!!!!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by psyclops777

Awesome videos.
looking at the radar it seems it's not over just yet.
Link

Hope everything is well, just ride it out.

OnlyLove

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
lol come live in the midwest USA. The storm on your vid is nothing.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I did notice one weird thing when I went outside. there was a lingering smell of Sulpher. similar or a spent Match smell....

?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by psyclops777
I did notice one weird thing when I went outside. there was a lingering smell of Sulpher. similar or a spent Match smell....

?

All that lightening makes a wonderful smell doesn't it???? I really think it's just a thunderstorm.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Tornado is brewin' up.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

I filmed around 25 X 1 minute clips but had to chose two of them for my post quickly. if I had filmed constant it was a weird show for well over 2.5 hours and the video was too large to post for all of them. shame I didnt have a Camcorder to film the whole show as was Like i said WIERD for here

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon
Cool what are the chances of this perfect storm heading down to the southe east coast in the next few hours ?

Childrens parade tomorrow, and I really would rather the rain and co tonight, and not when I am carrying a giant (and I am not exaggerating here ) Sun tomorrow .

Keep Safe

Is that why you're called solargeddon?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Wow, wicked strike at the end.

I'm in Bournemouth and we have had a lot of rain this evening and the wind is getting up. My son drove back from Devon earlier this evening and said there was a spate of good thunder and lightening . Perhaps the East side of the country is not getting the storms.

The first time I ever saw real torrential/downpour rain was in Italy some 30 years ago, and over the last 15 years, I have seen it about 3 times here. I can also say how few thunder and lightening storms I have ever witnessed here. Yours seems somewhat more than spetacular. Presumably it can only be climate change. The strange thing is that instead of a slow pace, it seems to be galloping towards us.

Good luck with your storm hope you can get some sleep.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ucantcme

Thanks for your comment. I did take more 1 minute films but had to get these on here quickly. the storm was weird and very loud for here in the UK. I never seen anything like it for so long
hoping to get a few more videos posted up here when I processed them

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

LMAO, no just a coincidence, we are carrying the solar system through town tomorrow, but an adult is going to have to carry the sun.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

We recently had a storm last for a couple hours- with the lightening flashes alternating from the east and then west so that it looked like something out of Close Encounters. All we needed was the bad music.

Stay safe!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

We dont normally see these kind of storms here in Cumbria, UK. for so long , yes it does rain for days but a lightening and thunder storm to last 2.5 hours is not normal here where I live. Even my kid who was watching it with me who is 12 was absolutely amazed at it. My pour Dog is still here cowering near my legs now at 00.05 GMT shes never that bad >?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by OnlyLove

Thanks for your map. I was just looking at it. ? what does it mean if it flashes a RED in amongst the rain patterns ?

not sure how to read it

thanks

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join