It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Narrow view of Life Hindering our search?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
My very first post here, I do hope it doesn't crash and burn lol

Reading a thread on how insignificant we are to the universe raised a question in me.

Are scientists looking hopefully for carbon based life forms more so then other life forms with different biochemistry?
en.wikipedia.org...

Why is one favoured over the other when searching for life both IMO seem equally plausible? Scientists seem to be divided over the issue and it doesnt seem logical. This article shows some narrow minded stance on the matter from a fellow scientist named Collin Pillinger www.telegraph.co.uk...

A couple other articles on the need to stretch our view of the definition of life and the search for it, as well as one that I just found interesting:
www.spaceref.com...

How to create a scientifically plausible lifeform:
www.gizmodo.com.au...

I personally believe we are being hindered a bit by this narrow view. Any thoughts or info regarding an alternative biochemistry, experiments that find alternatives to life etc would be greatly appreciated. And I also hope I didnt miss a previous topic like this in my search.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by topherman420

Scientists tend to look for what they are comfortable finding, plus they feel it will increase there overall chances of finding something similar to carbon based life.

I do not agree with this but due to our limited scope of the universe, so far and the expense of doing research, they are probably forced into this corner by simple logistics and funding.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Great post by the way, yeah they recently discovered that possible life origins could be germinated from all types of elements not just the usual six CARBON HYDROGEN NITROGEN OXYGEN PHOSPHORUS SULFER

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Yeah I agree with the limitations. And like with the one article about finding hostile environments here and devising ways of testing it, you have one minded individuals turning down the idea and possibly destroying a chance for another brilliant mind to add significantly to the process. I hope he is the type in a great minority and others are exploring efficient cheap ways to make this an equally important search.

^ Link above seems to not work. I am interested in this though if you can get it working or the name of the video. thanks for sharing
edit on 6-5-2011 by topherman420 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Yeah the youtube link I am using seems to be corrupted just youtube search arsenic microbe. Here some more information on this matter.

NASA-Funded Research Discovers Life Built With Toxic Chemical

NASA-funded astrobiology research has changed the fundamental knowledge about what comprises all known life on Earth.

Researchers conducting tests in the harsh environment of Mono Lake in California have discovered the first known microorganism on Earth able to thrive and reproduce using the toxic chemical arsenic. The microorganism substitutes arsenic for phosphorus in its cell components.

"The definition of life has just expanded," said Ed Weiler, NASA's associate administrator for the Science Mission Directorate at the agency's Headquarters in Washington. "As we pursue our efforts to seek signs of life in the solar system, we have to think more broadly, more diversely and consider life as we do not know it."

MOD NOTE:
Please provide a source or the post will be removed.
Posting Work Written by Others:Going forward, if you post something that is not 100% your own writing or work you must use the EX TAG, post NO MORE THAN 10% of the original (or three paragraphs, whichever is least), and GIVE A LINK TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL. If the work you are posting is not on the internet, from a book for example, you MUST give a credit for that Book ( the title), its Author and Publisher.
edit on May 7th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tetsuoatx

Very informative. Im wondering if there are any promising theories on how a life form could possibly breath a different atmosphere and if that would affect their anatomy.....my brain is hurting with all the questions that pop up....baby steps now lol

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure there are thousands of different types of evolved intelligent life processing energy in various ways. Just as our plants proccess sunlight to make chlorophyll maybe there is an alien being thats plant like and does the same. Breathing in carbon dioxide as plants and tress do.
edit on 7-5-2011 by tetsuoatx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Cool article about possible life on Titan (hypothetical really).

ScienceDaily (June 7, 2010) — Two new papers based on data from NASA's Cassini spacecraft scrutinize the complex chemical activity on the surface of Saturn's moon Titan. While non-biological chemistry offers one possible explanation, some scientists believe these chemical signatures bolster the argument for a primitive, exotic form of life or precursor to life on Titan's surface. According to one theory put forth by astrobiologists, the signatures fulfill two important conditions necessary for a hypothesized "methane-based life."

Full article :www.sciencedaily.com...

How cool is that......life forms breathing cow farts....space is neat lol
edit on 7-5-2011 by topherman420 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The governments haven't been interested in finding life, they've been more bothered about manipulating their people. That's why researchers and scientists interested in searching don't get funded properly and usually discredited at the same time. You can bet on it that if it was in their interests there'd be life all over the place and we'd be hearing about it every day.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hitoshura
The governments haven't been interested in finding life, they've been more bothered about manipulating their people. That's why researchers and scientists interested in searching don't get funded properly and usually discredited at the same time. You can bet on it that if it was in their interests there'd be life all over the place and we'd be hearing about it every day.

Yes unfortunately we don't live in a society where quest for knowledge trumps all. If it did we would be so much different and I think you're right; life would be everywhere lol

Imagine borrowing some sugar off your new alien neighbour?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by topherman420
Imagine borrowing some sugar off your new alien neighbour?

I'd want one of them teaching me martial arts and meditation, they might have some interesting takes on both!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Governments are especially not interested in identifying life where big companies are exploiting it for profit. I have always suspected that mineral nodules on the ocean floor may be a form of life, but we'd have to study them for a thousand years to watch one "day" in their slowly evolving lives. Those nodules are consider to be a mineral resource worth trillions of dollars. Imagine the uproar if the EPA put mineral nodules on their endangered species list.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phractal Phil
Governments are especially not interested in identifying life where big companies are exploiting it for profit. I have always suspected that mineral nodules on the ocean floor may be a form of life, but we'd have to study them for a thousand years to watch one "day" in their slowly evolving lives. Those nodules are consider to be a mineral resource worth trillions of dollars. Imagine the uproar if the EPA put mineral nodules on their endangered species list.

Sounds like you are referring to these:
en.wikipedia.org...

And some additional information surrounding the International seabed authority:
en.wikipedia.org...

Are you suggesting mineral formations are a sign of actual life? That would have to suggest minerals have life.

new topics

top topics

join