It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You will have to agree there are eleven planets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I can't go along with Nasa in discounting Pluto as a planet, when they themselves call it a dwarf planet.
I count eleven planets in our solar system. Four gas giants, Four terrestrials and three dwarfs. You can count them yourself right here. The question I have about this for ATS is this. Why does Nasa seem determined to limit
the number of planets in our solar system ? As I understand it a body must meet this criteria to be a planet.
It must orbit the Sun.
it must have enough gravity to become a sphere.
It must not have any other objects in it's orbit.

The reason Pluto was declassified from planet status was that it hasn't cleared all objects from it's orbit.
So they lowered it's planet status two dwarf planet. But still a planet. Also if you click the link provided we have
Eris and Ceres out beyond Pluto and according to the chart meet the same criteria. Eleven planets.
But the experts who never seem to make sense say eight. I disagree.

Now if we get one more to show up 1+11= 12

How many diciples, tribes, months in the year etc................?

edit on 6-5-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-5-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I know the semantics around this is a bit irritating.

But it is just a way to classify everything I guess.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
That Pluto is no longer a Planet is still a sore spot will me!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I think that a lot of the moons around some of the planets, are bigger than Pluto, and I consider Pluto a planet. So in my opinion there are hundreds of planets in our solar system.

en.wikipedia.org...

Anyhow. I think that many of the moons are ignored, when some of them have a reasonably good chance of life.

edit on 6-5-2011 by downtown436 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

It must not have any other objects in it's orbit.

Clarification would be needed here. The Earth, Jupiter, and likely Mars have Trojan moons in their orbit, if you hit the link you will see Jupiter has thousands of Trojan moons.

You might find it interesting to also hit this link on Theia if you ever wondered how a large body impact of earth (believed to have created our moon) could possibly ever to have occured.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
There are four lights! - Pickard.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Everyone knows dwarfs don't count unless your tossing them.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I still think of it as a planet lol! I mean when you go through school learning that pluto is a planet in our solor system you cant just drop it or at least I can't! Like you said a dwarf planet is still a planet!!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
NASA didn't reclassify Pluto as a minor planet, it was the IAU.

www.iau.org...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
What I meant to say was a large body SLOW impact of earth, slower than escape velocity, slower than what one expects impacts to be by up to magnitude of 1/4th or less.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Pluto will always be a Planet, to me.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
If we start to count all space rocks to planets, there is wayy more than 11, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Haumea, Makemake and Eris. Thats 13 planets. There still could be objects larger than Pluto far from Sun. They are too cold and small to be seen.

There is also debate about Sedna, no one knows is it dwarf planet or just space rock. Cause its too far (3x distance between Sun and Neptune), we cannot see its shape.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Have you considered that we are missing a planet between mars and Jupiter in the asteroid belt?

I wouldn't exclude pluto as a planet. It was discovered in the era of the atomic bomb and plutonium, I find that a co-incidence I can't ignore.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Yet they color Sedna red, and make it a oval shape, I wonder why?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Interesting theory about 12 planets and 12 disciples.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Lynda101

NASA has launched a probe to the two largest asteroids known in the belt, I'll have to look up the mission but in the next couple of years we will get images, it will orbit the smaller of the two for an entire year, then head to the largest one by 2015, about a 500 mile diameter, (from the top of my head).

Neither one is spherical, but the larger one has an onion shape, an almost sphere with a flattened top like a crater with a central peak.
edit on 6-5-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It never sat comfortably with me when they down-graded Pluto - who gave them the right to decide? They're just bigots and having a qualification doesn't make it okay.

As a planet Pluto is a bit poor though - ain't it?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
i think they're just attention wh*ring and they didn't have anything better to do so they were like "let's say Pluto is not a planet to be on the news!!"

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
When you look at Ceres, it looks like a (dwarf) planet with clouds, land mass and some water.

This is what is thought to be!

Ok, so it's wikipedia!

But here's another link about Ceres.

I'd go for that one first.

Also, since it's the biggest body of the asteroid belt, is it a caught moonoid or the remnant of the core planet that left the belt?
edit on 6-5-2011 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
If pluto is the cut off point I count 17, and that's only counting those as close as pluto or closer.

[font=Courier New]
    Jupiter 1.899 x10^27 kg
    Saturn 5.684 x10^26 kg
    Neptune 1.024 x10^26 kg
    Uranus 8.683 x10^25 kg
    Terra 5.973 x10^24 kg
    Venus 4.869 x10^24 kg
    Mars 6.421 x10^23 kg
    Mercury 3.3 x10^23 kg
    Ganymede 1.481 x10^23 kg
    Titan 1.345 x10^23 kg
    Callisto 1.076 x10^23 kg
    Io 8.931 x10^23 kg
    [color=gold]Luna 7.346 x10^22 kg
    Europa 4.8 x10^22 kg
    Triton 2.147 x10^22 kg
    Eris 1.305 x10^22 kg
    [color=gold]Pluto 1.305 x10^22 kg
[/font]

That's right. Our own moon is an order of magnitude larger than pluto. And this list would be much much larger if we added in some of the oort cloud objects.

David Grouchy

edit on 6-5-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join