It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Analogy for Non Masons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
It dawned on me today that a simple analogy could explain to folks why Freemasons think mason-bashing is just silly.

I was on ATS years before I became a Mason. One of our hot button issues here is, and always has been, infiltrators and disinformation agents.

If you consider for a moment what it is like to be a genuine "Conspiracy Theorist and Ignorance Denier" who is faced with preposterous allegations that ATS fosters anarchy, terrorism, pedophilia, murder and devil worship, etc.. you would understand PRECISELY the feeling that Freemasons have when folks outside the fraternity levy those accusations against us.

ATS is so similar to Freemasonry in so many ways I don't even think folks realize it. We meet at ATS as equals, we explore and learn, and contribute to the site.

If you get a little hot under the collar when folks bash ATS, then you understand how masons feel when folks bash us.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Great analogy and even better way of laying it out there to everyone in simple terms.

Some people find it tough to truly put them selves in someone else's shoes/place.

I do not believe that all Freemasons are evil or that they want to rule the world. Like everything in the world there are a few bad apples that ruin the bushel. Look at histories major events or peoples and you will find many Freemasons involved. This is what gives Masonry the bad connotation that everyone has/feels towards it.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
To me the analogy for wanting to be a mason is; you'd rather be a guard rather than a prisoner.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allegory of Illumination
Look at histories major events or peoples and you will find many Freemasons involved. This is what gives Masonry the bad connotation that everyone has/feels towards it.
Yes, because the people involved in the American revolution, the second man on the moon, the founders of Wendy's hamburgers or Kentucky Fried Chicken, were all "bad apples", right?
edit on 2011.5.6 by JoshNorton because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
what do you mean meet as equals? i thought there were 33 degrees of unequality. also if you work at a bank called JP Morgan or Goldman-Sachs but you're just at the bottom are you evil? no. But you're still working for an evil corporation. Or maybe I have the wrong perception of things.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Before i talk about conspiracy theories regarding masons i try and do as much research into the topic and take it from there, sure i have my own theory regarding the most common conspiracy in regards to masonry but it's not what the status quo say about the masons, i try and inculde logic and the most reasoned theory after listing to both sides and see how both sides came up with there conclusion in regards to "said topic" find a middle ground and take it from there...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by herbgrinder88
what do you mean meet as equals? i thought there were 33 degrees of unequality.
You thought wrongly.

also if you work at a bank called JP Morgan or Goldman-Sachs but you're just at the bottom are you evil? no. But you're still working for an evil corporation. Or maybe I have the wrong perception of things.
And what evil atrocities has the institution of Freemasonry been found guilty of?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I don't see the similarity between freemasonry and ATS. I do not hold a degree nor do i wear funny clothing. Explain to me this one thing what is Prince hall freemasonry and can anyone join. If you don't mind me asking what degree are you?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silicrikk
I don't see the similarity between freemasonry and ATS. I do not hold a degree nor do i wear funny clothing.

Neither would anyone holding the two to such superficial analysis. If you compare them along the lines he gave, you might find, as others have, that the comparison is rather apt.

Explain to me this one thing what is Prince hall freemasonry

A traditionally African-American network of Grand Lodges mostly working in North America and the Caribbean.

and can anyone join.

Any man who believes in God possessed of a good moral character.

If you don't mind me asking what degree are you?

He is a Master Mason, as are most Masons on this site (myself included). Though he may hold memberships in other appendant bodies, their degree names or numbers are not significant in this regard.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

what do you mean meet as equals? i thought there were 33 degrees of unequality.

And you'd be wrong. Barring anything unforeseen, in three years I'll be Master of my Lodge and any Scottish Rite Masons who happen by (and our Lodge has quite a number) will have to swear obedience. You think mayhap as you're focused on a number instead of reality? I'm certainly not the first to point out this issue to you and other Mason-slaggers on ATS.

Or maybe I have the wrong perception of things.

Maybe. You think?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
So what you are telling me is that your a 3rd degree. I hold no prejudices and do no intend to disrespect you or your fellow mason because I know a 32nd degree very well. I believe freemasons are men who have good hearts, but freemasonry does not allow women as members. But why prince hall freemasonry, shouldn't all the lodges be united.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

So what you are telling me is that your a 3rd degree. I hold no prejudices and do no intend to disrespect you or your fellow mason because I know a 32nd degree very well. I believe freemasons are men who have good hearts, but freemasonry does not allow women as members. But why prince hall freemasonry, shouldn't all the lodges be united.

now that is a very good question. They should be united in that there is no distinction between brothers. But Prince Hall masons have a rich heritage that they are very proud of and should not be stripped of that pride. In most cases that is exactly how it works. In a few backwoods places where the banjo music is still heard in the distance, there may remain some animosity towards Prince Hall and AF&AM masonry, but hopefully that will evolve into a real world scenario soon enough. Women are not allowed to join a fraternity anymore than I can join a sorority. But I have had my eye on one in particular in Chapel Hill, should the opportunity arise.

And just for clarification, most here are 32nd degree or some other apendent body as well as 3rd degree masons. In masonry, we all meet on the level, be it the newest master mason, to the oldest past master. That way nobody feels inferior to anyone else and harmony can prevail once again.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

First off, Freemasonry is a fraternity. Fraternities are for men. Sororities are for women. Any adult past a certain age recgonises that men and women do things, feel things and appreciate things differently and trying to force a square peg into a round hole yields happiness to neither the peg nor the hole.

Insofar as Prince Hall Masonry is concerned, I can't speak to other jurisdictions save my own where it is recognised. Having sat in on a PH Initiation, I see no meaningful difference between their Ritual and F&AM Masonry as opposed to the AF&AM Masonry with which I'm more familiar.

Every jurisdiction's different. Perhaps the U.S. Civil War echoes yet.

My two bits. YMMV

Fitz

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
As an addendum to ND's post, I've limited myself to Craft Lodge because my family and work schedule say that that's as much of a time input as I have available. If I were of a mind to, I could be out at one Lodge or another virtually every night of every week if I wanted to and in fact, many older Masons use Lodge primarily as a social out in that regard.

I've counselled many an Initiate that work, family and faith are all to be attended to before one entertains the notion of Lodge. That's especially true of someone like myself who's in the officer progression. It's an undertaking that you don't pursue lightly and you must be certain that you will be able to devote the requisite time over the course of a decade.

Small wonder Past Masters look so relieved.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by OnTheLevel213
A traditionally African-American network of Grand Lodges mostly working in North America and the Caribbean.

It is also quite prevalent in the military.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitzgibbon

on the subject of Past masters, When I first started in the chairs, I was kind of disappointed in all the masters who would kind of disappear after their time in the east. Now being JW, I can not only understand it, I am looking forward to taking a little break. There is a lot to it.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Silicrikk

In the United States any man who believes in a Supreme Being, is of lawful age, and hasn't been convicted of a crime (varies by jurisdiction) may join.

I am a Master Mason, the highest degree in Freemasonry. I have also been elected as the Worshipful Master of my lodge for the upcoming year.

Prince Hall Freemasonry is a branch of Freemasonry that arose many years ago when speculative Freemasonry only admitted whites. Currently most state grand lodges (mine included) are in full amity with Prince Hall lodges and we consider each other as regular masons.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Silicrikk

The 32nd degree is awarded in Scottish Rite, which is separate and distinct from regular Freemasonry.

Any 3rd Degree Master Mason can pay a $150 or so and attend a Scottish Rite festival over a weekend and become a 32nd degree/

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucifer777

And what does that have to do with anything we are discussing?

Don't you have enough of your own threads to troll without interrupting this one?

The nice thing about "real life" and ATS is that you can choose to "Ignore" the devil and he goes away. :-D

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join