It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why isn't the president's name listed as Obama II instead of Obama on the white house home page?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
www.whitehouse.gov...

I'm proud to live in a country where this is a legitimate question to ask

Barack H. Obama is the 44th President of the United States.

Shouldn't that read Barack H. Obama II ? Or do they just ignore that subscript?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

I think that they will only quote your full name if it is your "real" name

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
It goes Sr., Jr., then 1st, 2nd, 3rd. . .

I am a Jr. my dad is Sr. and my son would have been the 1st if we named him the same.
I only use my suffix when I want to also!
edit on 5/6/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Did they have George Bush II..?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Did they have George Bush II..?

Bush is just George W. Bush, because his father was George Herbert Walker Bush, if the father was George W. Bush, then the younger Bush would be George W. Bush Jr. or II. But because the father has two middle names the younger is just George W. Bush.
edit on 6-5-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
It goes Sr., Jr., then 1st, 2nd, 3rd. . .

I am a Jr. my dad is Sr. and my son would have been the 1st if we named him the same.

I think II or Second is the same as Jr.
Obama's father wasn't Barack Hussein Obama Jr. he was just Barack Hussein Obama, thus his son is "the second" or II.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

The suffix II is used when the child has an identical name to a relative, but who is not the child's father. The relative may be an uncle, cousin or grandfather. The suffix III is used after either Jr or II and like subsequent numeric suffixes, does not need to happen in one family line. For example, if John and Bob Smith are brothers and Bob has a son before John, he will call his son John, II. If John now has a son, his son is John, Jr. As time passes, the III suffix goes to the first born of either John Jr or John II. This is how it is possible and correct for a Jr. to father a IV. Importantly, Sr is never used by a man. Sr is used only by the widow of the father of a Jr and then only when the Jr has married.[citation needed] There is no guarantee that when a boy is born, he will become a father to boys. He is given a name and that remains his name for life. He is the original article and does not change his name. His wife may choose to use the name Mrs. (His name). When a son is born, if he is given an identical name, he becomes Jr and when the son marries, his wife may use Mrs. (his name) Jr. When the original dies, the son may choose to drop the Jr, as may his wife. Now, there is the potential for two living persons using the same name and the dowager widow takes on the Sr as a way to distinguish herself from the daughter-in-law. The Sr suffix is used only for widows of the man closest to the original man.

Wiki

We are both wrong it is Sr., Jr., then the 3rd!
Damn all these years and my dad is not a Sr. either yet!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

The suffix II is used when the child has an identical name to a relative, but who is not the child's father.

Does this mean Barack Hussein Obama is not the father of President Barack Hussein Obama?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It would be Jr. if the first, middle, and last name were the same as the father and there was not a son with the same name. It would only be II if there was a III or another close male relative with the same exact name, including the middle name (there's some debate about this, I guess). So does he have a son or other male relative (grandfather or great-uncle) with the same name?

And in any case, name suffixes are optional. You don't have to use them if you choose not to.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

No, just that he is not using the Jr. suffix!

Who came up with this system? It's about as confusing as it could possibly be made!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

No, just that he is not a Jr. yet!

Who came up with this system? It's about as confusing as it could possibly be made!

But his father was not a Jr. How is he not a Jr yet? When does he become a Jr?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

The most common name suffixes are senior and junior, limited chiefly to American usage, which is written with a capital first letter (Jr.) with or without an interceding comma. The term 'junior' is correctly used only if a child is given exactly the same name as his or her parent. When the suffixes are spelled out in full, they are always written with the first letter in lower case. Social name suffixes are far more frequently applied to men than to women. In French, the designations for a father and son with the same name are père ('father') and fils (‘son’). In Portuguese, common designations are Júnior (junior), Filho (son), Neto (grandson), and Sobrinho (nephew). In many other nations, it is considered highly unusual or even inauspicious to give a son the same first name(s) as his father, removing the need for such suffixes. Sons with a different middle name or initial may also be called Junior as a nickname, but unless the names are identical, the Jr suffix is never used.

Wiki

I think he is a Jr. just doesn't use it!

My brain hurts from all this.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
i thought they went by birth name ??

was he born barack h. obama ? or was he born barry sotero ?

clear up that issue too much flying around these days please.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
President Obama never used Junior or Jr. in connection with his name, even though he could as he was named after his father. Some families use the Junior, Senior stuff and some don't. It is up to the family whether they want to or not, not some immutable law.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
i thought they went by birth name ??

was he born barack h. obama ? or was he born barry sotero ?

clear up that issue too much flying around these days please.

the "birth certificate" says he is Barack Hussein Obama II.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LibertyLover
President Obama never used Junior or Jr. in connection with his name, even though he could as he was named after his father. Some families use the Junior, Senior stuff and some don't. It is up to the family whether they want to or not, not some immutable law.

then why would it be on the birth certificate? It's because you can't have a father named Barack H. Obama and the son named Barack H. Obama because that would complicate records. Hence the "Jr" or "II"

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Yes...It should be Barry Hussein Soetoro Obama II "Criminal-In -Chief!"
Barry Obama "Criminal-In-Chief":

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Using a suffix after one's surname is strictly a choice. There is no law stating that one must do so in order to differentiate one's self from their father.

Assuming he is who he says he is; Obama is sufficient.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

He could not have been born Soetoro, since his mother did not meet that man until Obama was 4.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Because the first Barack Obama was Kenyan and apparently was not a nice man. He died in his THIRD car crash, drunk driver much??

I just read the wiki page for him and he had a second son called George. I didn't know Obama had a brother/step brother?? I'd love him to come out and say where he was born

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join