It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada: The mystery of the disappearing salmon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Source

The disappearance of millions of sockeye salmon from the Fraser River has been compared to Murder on the Orient Express by two scientists helping a federal inquiry solve an environmental mystery.

Andrew Trites and Villy Christensen, both professors at the University of British Columbia Fisheries Centre, made the comparison to the Agatha Christie whodunit as they testified Wednesday at the Cohen Commission of Inquiry into the Decline of Sockeye Salmon in the Fraser River.

Led by B.C. Supreme Court Justice Bruce Cohen, the commission has been given more than two years and a $25-million budget to figure out why sockeye salmon stocks have been in decline for the past two decades, and why only about one million fish returned to spawn in 2009, when 10 million were expected.

As part of the inquiry, Judge Cohen has assigned teams of scientists to look at 12 different issues, examining everything from climate change to sport fishing to determine the impact on salmon.

Wow, I had no idea this situation was this dire. I cannot believe only 10% of what they were expecting showed up to spawn. The salmon are slowly dying off?

We have poisoned our rivers and lakes, filled them with toxic metals making fish poisoned and having to be monitored when eaten, but we think the salmon and other fish will live through all of this poisoning?

God, we are dumb.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I would imagine overfishing.........we as a species seem to do that quite a bit. Most food fish and seafood stocks have had declining numbers overall in the wild if I'm not mistaken.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
It could also be the earths changes heading toward pole shifting and off seasons. Maybe they recognize this, and are freaking out.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

I would imagine overfishing.........we as a species seem to do that quite a bit. Most food fish and seafood stocks have had declining numbers overall in the wild if I'm not mistaken.

Actually there are a number of protections in place to not allow overfishing of salmon due to their specific life cycle to insure they are not made extinct. Salmon return to the river they were born in specifically to reproduce, knowing this life cycle is highly disturbing they are just not returning to spawn a new generation of salmon at all.

Something is preventing their return, contrary to every driven natural instinct they have to return to the river of their birth for reproduction. I don't think it's overfishing at all in this particular case. The links provided give some information on the treaties and procedures in place with regards to salmon fishing in Canada.

www.psc.org...

www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Die-offs do happen often and naturally, and have for many many years. What I think we should be on the lookout for is if:

A - This continues and we see a continuation of mass animal & fish deaths.

B - We start seeing newborns & fetuses wash up, as the dolphins have been doing in the gulf.

S&F, thanks for the post.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
last year or the year before here in the fraser, it was the best season we've ever had, and thats a sharp contrast from the year before that when it was the worst.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Something isn't quite right with this article (supposedly dated May 5 2011) since the salmon run on the Fraser River in 2010 exceeded all predictions. If I remember correctly nearly 34 million salmon came up the river last year, compared with the paltry 1 million in 2009. So the information in the article is somewhat out of date.

The only definite lesson learned from these two years is that we don't have a clue how to predict the salmon runs.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by avocadoshag

Quite a difference in just a one year span......maybe it has to do with food supplies for the salmon in the Ocean. Such a variation in numbers seems pretty extreme, is that normally the case ie bust or boom cycle?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by avocadoshag

I was driving back from Kelowna one year back to Calgary and was lucky enough to actually see the salmon run. Never really thought about it before that point but when I saw it I was in amazement. It's one of those things you only ever see on discovery channel, although I'm a city boy.

To know that the numbers can vary that much is crazy in and of itself. Good thing I posted as I learned something today. Thanks.

Pred...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
Source

The disappearance of millions of sockeye salmon from the Fraser River has been compared to Murder on the Orient Express by two scientists helping a federal inquiry solve an environmental mystery.

Andrew Trites and Villy Christensen, both professors at the University of British Columbia Fisheries Centre, made the comparison to the Agatha Christie whodunit as they testified Wednesday at the Cohen Commission of Inquiry into the Decline of Sockeye Salmon in the Fraser River.

Led by B.C. Supreme Court Justice Bruce Cohen, the commission has been given more than two years and a $25-million budget to figure out why sockeye salmon stocks have been in decline for the past two decades, and why only about one million fish returned to spawn in 2009, when 10 million were expected.

As part of the inquiry, Judge Cohen has assigned teams of scientists to look at 12 different issues, examining everything from climate change to sport fishing to determine the impact on salmon.

Wow, I had no idea this situation was this dire. I cannot believe only 10% of what they were expecting showed up to spawn. The salmon are slowly dying off?

We have poisoned our rivers and lakes, filled them with toxic metals making fish poisoned and having to be monitored when eaten, but we think the salmon and other fish will live through all of this poisoning?

God, we are dumb.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

Canada's government has a bad habit of not understanding just what the hell "overfishing" means. Canadian fishery policy led to the collapse of the cod fishery, and the government's plan? Keep increasing the catch, but ramp up the killing of seals.

Between overfishing and the harm caused by hatchery fish, I can't imagine anyone's really scratching their heads on the "why" part - rather they're just trying to figure out how to cover it up and keep the supply high for fishing industry profits.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

The seal hunt is another thing altogether. I hate the seal hunt, my wife hates it more. It is brutal to be known as that kind of people. Look what "the cove" did to japan, we are one film away from being looked at like ignorant country.

We have so much land and so little people we shouldn't have this big if an impact on it, unless of course, the mighty dollar is more important. Which to anyone with money, it is. If any country could be self sustainable it should be us.

Pred...
edit on 7-5-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join