It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jonathan Kay: "Conspiracy sites" get nod on CBC's "The Current"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
An interesting discussion regarding a more 'mainstream' look at 'conspiracies. Informative. There is little doubt, after listening to him speak, that he is very familiar with ATS

An interesting interview with Jonathan Kaye, sort of a 'conspiracy expert'.

Jonathan Kay has been giving a lot of thought to the conspiracy theories that have emerged since the attacks of September 11th. He's the Comments Page Editor at The National Post and the author of Among the Truthers: A Journey into the Growing Conspiracist Underground of 9/11 Truthers, Birthers, Armageddonites, Vaccine Hysterics, Hollywood Know-Nothings and Internet Addicts (released next week) . Jonathan Kay was in our Toronto studio. Ali K. Chishti is a Pakistani investigative journalist. He writes for both The Daily Times and The Friday Times. We reached him in Karachi.

www.cbc.ca...

audio link: www.cbc.ca...
edit on 6-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well, this could go either way...all depending on how they represent the conspiracy side of things. I reckon they will do the normal painting of any and all conspiracy theorists as conspiracy nuts whom are wearing their tin foil hat in a self made bunker waiting for aliens to come eat us, etc.

I can't say I blame them...the conspiracy theorist community has long been infiltrated with some splended disinfo agents making it truely seem like all conspiracy theorists are crackpots verses voicing legitiment complaints...and of course the msm focuses on these disinfo crackpots and the ones they have seduced into the nonsense mindset.

One should point out that a good journalist is by profession a conspiracy theorists...digging behind the stories in order to find the truth...questioning the common word by the partys interested in a outcome, etc...

The difference between a investigative reporter and a conspiracy theorist often is simply perception and paycheck.

I think the vocal conspiracy theorist should make them understand the difference between the con theorists and the con nuts.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Well, this could go either way...all depending on how they represent the conspiracy side of things. I reckon they will do the normal painting of any and all conspiracy theorists as conspiracy nuts whom are wearing their tin foil hat in a self made bunker waiting for aliens to come eat us, etc.

Nope, not at all. You should listen first. He's merely general providing some insight into the ATS-esque world. A worthwhile listen.

His main point is that certain memes within the 'conspiracy' circles never die, regardless of available 'evidence', in relation to the recent demand for 'photos' that will likely be rejected as 'fake' if they are ever released.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
A an interesting side note about the effect of many of the stories and theories spread on websites like ATS, Mr. Kay says that Pakistan is something akin to a conspiracy theorist's breeding ground. He gave the example of the Pakistani Gov't airing translated Youtube translated videos of all kinds on state television as if they were factual and credible.

Think of the waves of disinfo that get interpreted as truth by the uninformed, gullible, and stupid.

I'm picturing some Pakistani kid believing that Cthulu was unleashed by the BP disaster.Death to the infidels, by Allah and Cthulu's hand!!!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Any mainstream exposure to alternative theories is an good thing. Even if ridiculed, some will look and go "Ha ha! Idiots! Something sus about the events concerning 9/11 my a....... hmmm, that is a good point".

It's human nature to become complacent the more you get away with something you shouldn't. It's also human nature to be curious when something doesn't seem right and more and more people are starting to notice this. The more those in power start to f**k up, the less crazy conspiracy theories seem.

The "conspiracy theorists" are not such a minority anymore and there is only so long the media can refuse us/them a voice. Smarter media outlets will see a growing opportunity for ratings.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by OZtracized

I agree. I find it notably telling that many around here are calling it a 'hit piece' even thought it hasnt been released and they obviously havent read it.

i will reserve judgment until i have some actual understanding.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
A an interesting side note about the effect of many of the stories and theories spread on websites like ATS, Mr. Kay says that Pakistan is something akin to a conspiracy theorist's breeding ground. He gave the example of the Pakistani Gov't airing translated Youtube translated videos of all kinds on state television as if they were factual and credible.

Think of the waves of disinfo that get interpreted as truth by the uninformed, gullible, and stupid.

I'm picturing some Pakistani kid believing that Cthulu was unleashed by the BP disaster.Death to the infidels, by Allah and Cthulu's hand!!!

So people having their own opinion is helping the "terrorists".

Sure...

I guess we should stop questioning the all-mighty god state then.

Did you just make that up?

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

So people having their own opinion is helping the "terrorists".

Sure...

I guess we should stop questioning the all-mighty god state then.

Did you just make that up?

I'm really at a loss as to how you come to that conclusion based on the post of mine you are responding to. Can you help?

top topics

join