It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Tries to Sell $1100 One Ounce Gold Coin for $50...No Takers! (Video)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Just a little levity today...

All I can say is that he should be happy I wasn't there...I would have bought it, asked for another and walked away whistling.

Wonder if some of those people are watching this video and thinking..."Damn"!

Today's Gold:

1484.73 US

1434.60 CAD

Ok, if the guy was wearing a tinfoil hat, smelled like urine and lived in a cardboard box, I can understand...

But, the guy has a mic and camera and is clearly doing something for entertainment so what's going to happen?

He pulls a prank and gives you the $50 back or it's real and you win!

Either way, it's only $50 to take a bite.

I would have run to the ATM and game on!

edit on 6-5-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
HAHA, WOW, this just shows you how dumb and brain washed people are.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
If anybody wants to buy gold coins for $50 please come to my house I have some here for sale. But you had better hurry up before the chocolate melts!
I would be skeptical of this offer also - On The Street!

Now if wants to start offering this in a different environment, such as through a brokerage firm, I would have bought him out completely.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Seriously... I wouldn't give anyone on the street $50 for anything. This video has been around before and the concept is lame.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

edit on 6-5-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I've seen so many gold coins for sale on TV for 19.95 claiming 99.999% pure gold.

They don't mention its pure gold plate, worth litterally nothing.

I wouldn't touch a gold coin if it was being sold on the street.

Especially if there was a dude with a video camera following the salesman. Buddy laughs at the fact he can't sell the coin.

It kinda shows he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

And please do tell WHY you think that this video/his approach/whatever is "lame".

It is a temperature check of sorts for our nation.

Those people will be using their dollar bills for pillow stuffing soon.

Amusing, but very sad video indeed.

Hell, I woulda jumped! Twice.

My favorite..."Oh, it's a worthless Canadian coin? NO WAY..."

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
If someone had an idea about what gold is about, they would understand a coin that small wouldn't weigh an ounce unless it was good
The coin is the size of a American silver dollar yet weighs 1 ounce
Gold is a soft metal; when the guys in the cowboy movies would bite down on a gold coin, they were actually testing to make sure it was gold

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I wouldn't buy a shiny new red Ferrari off the street for $50. Even claiming something is solid gold does not mean it is.

On a side note, this reminds me of a joke I used to pull years ago. I would be buying something at the store and ask the cashier if they accepted Hawaiian currency. Bonus laugh points if they had to consult a manager to find out and the manager told me that they do not accept it. No one ever accepted my 'Hawaiian currency' so I just had to use my 'American money.' lol

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Of course not Ash.

One would be inclined to look at mint markings/take it to be authenticated and such before purchasing. That is IF a person is so inclined.

Not many people have negotiation or even critical thinking skills anymore.

As the video shows...
edit on 6-5-2011 by susp3kt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
HAHA, WOW, this just shows you how dumb and brain washed people are.

Actually it shows you that people make a reasonable assumption that no one would sell a REAL one ounce gold coin for $50, and that combined with the camera make them suspect they are going to be made fools of.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Maybe he has some really bad breath cause everyone seems to be moving away from him when he opens his mouth... Besides, the video is clearly edited and I'm sure those who agreed to buy the coin were told that its just a joke and left out of the clip. Seems to be a case of selective sampling if you ask me.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I know the price of gold, but my first reaction would be "This has to be a scam".

A friend of mine was in Paris, and a homeless guy came up and offered to sell her a cheap gold ring for 20 Euro. Supposedly he seemed authentic and honest, so she dickered with him and paid him only 10 Euro. She thought she had a bargain, until she checked the ring out and found it was brass and only worth a few cents.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I live in a little hick town in Arkansas. Most people who live here work for convenience stores, Wal Mart, Bemis, Or Georgia Pacific. If it were not for the factories here, many would be out of a job.

There is a guy at a local convenience store and he is buying silver dollars for six dollars each.

Mom had a broken 10k gold chain that weighs .97. He weighed it and said he'd give one hundred dollars for it. She paid two hundred for it. It should be worth more than a hundred dollars. I know he has to make a profit but this seemed like such a scam.

We didn't sale it to him. I think he is getting rich off of poor people who live down here and need money and don't know how much gold is worth.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

Would you agree when the necklace was orignally bought and sold there was a retailer mark up? Other than that, I don't see gold jewelry taking much more in here in Phoenix Az.

Good Luck and be safe!

TWBU

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LS650

I experienced something similar when living in Dallas in 2000. My boyfriend and I were out on a date when a man approached us trying to sell jewelry (diamond rings, gold watches, etc.). They DID look real, which led me to believe they were stolen.

He claimed he needed gas money to get to his kids. But he was going to sell me a rolex for $20? I don't think so. lol When I called the police, he bailed.

So that is what this guy reminded me of. Wanting to sell a gold coin so he could buy coffee at Starbucks. It's not so much that people don't realize something's value- it's that too many conmen are running around.

I would be forced to assume something is either fake or stolen. And IF it was a matter of them just not knowing any better like trying to sell me a famous painting at a garage sale for $5, I would let them know because I would feel bad taking advantage of them.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Wow! this really makes my head hurt! although most likely it has been edited. There must have been someone who said yeah OK! but just wasn't shown!

I can understand resistance to buying something on the street. However even a cursory check can check authenticity. Most of the resistance here seemed to be based on the fact that it was "Canadian" and therefore worthless. Had i been there, I would have checked it our, and probably given him the $50 and bought him his Starbucks!!

But in the end I am OK with people like this. it leaves more real money to be bought by me! and others around here.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by susp3kt

Because it's a douche bag on a crusade to prove his own self righteous belief he knows all things economics.

I buy silver. I wouldn't buy silver on a street corner. I wouldn't buy gold for $50 on a street corner. In fact, I'd tell the guy to !%%@ himself and stop being a douche bag. I buy my metals from reliable sources and test everything I hold.. I wish someone woulda grabbed his coin and chucked it at his face.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Go to 2:50...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I can understand being hesitant to trust a stranger on the street with a camera, who obviously has something to prove. However, a one ounce Canadian coin doesn't seem like it would be that easy to fake, convincingly. Almost none of them even wanted to look at it. I didn't hear any of them ask him why he was selling it. One lady even refused to let him give it to her.

My favorite part was the man who asked him what his "R" stood for and when he head it was "Resistance to the New World Order," he clearly thought the man was a total idiot. That, to me, was a better illustration of how brainwashed people are.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join