It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PennHurst Asylums Paranormal Activity turned into a mockery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I am disgusted..

This stinks rotten right down to the core..
I'm almost ashamed that I sat through the entire ten minutes of this promotional video. But I had to for research purposes. Kinda wish I hadn't found it.

For those of you who do not know of Pennhurst State, then please visit my thread Pennhurst State, The Forgotten Hell which will give you a good overview of the entire site, the people who lived and worked there and the events that eventually shut it down.
You will also find links to a well known paranormal TV show that helps to show just how much suffering and turmoil went on inside this site. The Paranormal activity in Pennhurst is incredible. The tortured souls of those long gone still roam the area. Some seem to be in desperate need of help, others are determined to cause deep fear into those brave enough to venture inside.

I am yet to see one paranormal investigation in this place that does NOT offer some form of evidence where a spirit is in need of help or desperate need to communicate.
For the survivors, they are still living with the memory of the hell they endured. Some may be lucky enough to not have the mental capacity to do so, but their souls will definitely be tainted.

This new venture being promoted in this video is a pure mockery of every child and every person ever to have lived and suffered in this place. The mockery spreads itself before all the survivors, and as for those who are still roaming these forgotten corners of hell, they have this fabricated fear, these re-enacted screams of terror, this facade of "entertainment" to watch and listen to on a regular basis... As if these poor souls did not have enough to deal with, they see the living making fun of those who have gone.

The other problem with this new 'adventure playground' is how the guy talks about 'setting the place up' in order to create fear.
When you do this to a place then you cannot (IMO) ever get a proper scientific investigation for you may never know what is being electronically triggered from a secure location. It will almost negate any future evidence to be collected from Pennhurst.

The guy talks about a quarter of a million dollars being collected in trespassing fines last year, but now you can pay him to gain access but only for this sick entertainment instead.. he carries on by saying that nobody needs to fear a fine again..

I'm pretty sure a lot of those people fined were paranormal investigators trying to capture evidence, although there will be a heavy number of people who go there just for the heck of it.

This is from my professional viewpoint, a personal emotion and a rant in regards to the things that are now going on with Pennhurst. It is a mockery of what was and of those who are still there..

Here is the video...

I say close Pennhurst down again.. Do not turn it into a freak show... Give the past residents, both alive and dead, the massive respect they deserve. They have left the Titanic at the bottom of the ocean for a reason, they left many a warship in pearl harbour as war graves, so let this place be a resting place for the many that suffered at the hands of those who did not care!

Proper, full on scientific and spiritual paranormal research in Pennhurst could answer so much and possibly help many of those trapped within its walls..
edit on 6-5-2011 by Extralien because: changed some wording.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
That guy reeks of greed and egotism. I wonder if there have been any efforts to push towards the removal of it? Sure, it brings tourism, but I doubt it will bring that much money to the town.

Second line.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elvenhart
I wonder if there have been any efforts to push towards the removal of it? Sure, it brings tourism, but I doubt it will bring that much money to the town.

Apparently it's already open for business. pennhurstasylum.com...

It does seem that locals are not overly joyous about it. There are many articles mentioning the controversial opening, despite protests from locals. Most likely a safe bet to assume bribery may have been involved.

Promoters of the attraction say its simply a way to celebrate Halloween. But opponents say it disrespects the memories of former Pennhurst patients & would have a negative impact on the community. It's an issue that has split the Spring City, Chester County area.

"The only reason they they can sell a ticket is because they are capitalizing on the suffering of real people," says attorney David Ferleger.

ABC Local

I had never heard of this place before. I do not fully share the OP's anger about this issue, but I do understand and respect it.

However, this does remind me of the plot to many horror movies.
-an actual haunted area/building
-big spender comes in to change it into a profit maker
-strange unexplainable events occur
-employees and visitors start to go missing
-their bodies found later
-blame automatically points to spirits/ghosts
-eventually, it turns out to be a local who is not happy with what has happened to the place.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Thank you so much for that bit of news..

Yes, I guess I did show a bit of anger in my post.. I felt I had to.
As is said in your quote "capitalizing on the suffering of real people" is part of what drove my anger..

Being a lead investigator for a paranormal group also allows me to get a grip of the paranormal events that are going on there and to how much this 'company' could provoke, disturb, upset those who just cannot find rest.

Greed obviously extends in many directions from many sources and has no boundaries.

When you've seen the videos of what happened to those who were actually living there, then it kinda brings it home as to how wrong this company is in doing what they are...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
When you've seen the videos of what happened to those who were actually living there, then it kinda brings it home as to how wrong this company is in doing what they are...

I haven't yet watched any of the videos in your older thread about this, but I plan to later. I am intrigued by this place. Even the overhead, daytime, Google Earth image has a bit of spookiness to it.

I assumed you already knew about this recent news, but in case you didn't-
They are trying to get it rezoned from being classified as a residential area, to being classed as an industrial area. I don't really know entirely what that means, but I can see why even more locals are against it.

Also added in the application as a proposed by right use were: composting; outdoor entertainment, amusement, recreation and theater; and "recreation building, including but not limited to use for entertainment, historical and amusement-oriented tours and events such as, but not limited to, a haunted house and other theme oriented uses, including any associated accessory uses."

www.pennlive.com...

The board of supervisors voted 2-1 Wednesday to accept the petition from Richard Chakejian, of Pennhurst Acquisitions, L.P., which owns 87.82 acres of the former Pennhurst School and State Hospital property.

The petition will now be sent to the Chester County Planning Commission and the township planning commission for review. Following that, a public hearing will be held before the application can be approved or denied.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

looks to me that they want to turn it into a fun fair style 'ghost house'.
By making it industrial they may be able to add a Mcdonalds or KFC etc.. possibly even renovate parts into a hotel.

You could see this place resembling Disney world...but with a very dark, sinister and much too real, twist.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

What an egotistical,money grubbing,corporate ars-hole
they may come for awhile but once the novelty wears off it will fail

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

I have to agree with you on both counts.

Those who risk paying a trespassing fine are able to go anywhere they like inside Pennhurst and do as they wish.

Paying this man to be given restricted access is a joke. The worst part of the joke is the "fright night" on offer..

Should not be allowed.

Anyone with an ounce of brains would not be 'scared' so much by such trickery.
People go there for the reality of how Human madness creates more madness in those deemed insane.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
They started the "attraction" last Halloween. I'm in shock it's still allowed to go on. It made me sick to see the trailer, I think it was, when young girls ran out screaming and crying because a dummy scared them. How about teaching them the wrongs of the school, instead of scaring them, has enough horror gone on?

I can't imagine the residual energy and how these haunting tours will make it stronger when it should be lessened, let alone those who are not free, why torture them...

The tour is supposed to be only in the main building, or so they say. Also, money from what the event holders make is supposed to be donated back to the preservation funds for education on the school. Even if money is given back, so much needs to be dealt with but not in the way presented and as you mentioned, OP, souls needs to be released from the hell not made a mockery of.
edit on 7-5-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Why would anyone want to go into a set up fake haunted house when there are real ones all over the place?It's laughable and quite cliche to say lets make it a theme park where we can charge them to be faked scared!!

I guess this is the only idea they could come up with to cash in on the paranormal,some people would do anything for a buck

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

Exactly.
Could have done much better by organising real paranormal investigations and getting proper scientific studies going on.

Rigging a place to be 'scary' immediately raises suspicions if you're an investigator.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Well, doesn't really surprise me. It's only a matter of time before Auschwitz is sold.

Great post extralien, and great original post on the asylum, very eye opening...

Thanks

top topics

join