It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why We Think Atheist.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Why We Think Atheist.
some of the greatest minds on earth are and have been atheist's.

here's my top ten atheist quotes.

1. Creationists make it sound like a ‘theory’ is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night — Isaac Asimov

2. I don’t believe in God. My god is patriotism. Teach a man to be a good citizen and you have solved the problem of life. — Andrew Carnegie

3. All thinking men are atheists. — Ernest Hemingway

4. Lighthouses are more helpful then churches. — Benjamin Franklin

5. Faith means not wanting to know what is true. — Friedrich Nietzsche

6. The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. — George Bernard Shaw

7. Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile. — Kurt Vonnegut

8. I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. — Frank Lloyd Wright

9. Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. — Denis Diderot

10. A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. — Samuel Clemens

Religious Affiliation % in
Atheist 6%
Greco-Roman paganism 6%
Chinese traditional religion/Confucianism 5%
Lutheran 5%
Russian Orthodox 4%
pre-Nicene Christianity 3%
Platonism 3%
Islam 2%
Hindu 2%
Buddhist 2%
Presbyterian 2%
Zoroastrian 2%
Manicheanism 2%
Quaker 2%
Unitarian/Universalist 2%
Calvinist 2%
Jain 1%
Jansenist 1%
United Brethren 1%
Congregationalist 1%
Dutch Reformed 1%
Egyptian paganism 1%
Mongolian shamanism 1%
Taoism 1%
Baptist 1%
Sandemanian 1%
Protestant (denomination unknown) 6%
unknown 5%

as you can see,atheist are becoming more and more common,as more and more people come to there sense's and realize religion,and the notion,theres a all seeing god,is just ridiculous.

personally,i believe the faster religion is removed from mankind,the safer this planet will be..

i don't need a god to live a morale life..infact the most morale people on this earth are atheists..

atheism is the voice of a few intelligent people and mankind will never grow up,while it has religion in its consciousness
edit on 6-5-2011 by TheMaverick because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
All thinking men are atheists. — Ernest Hemingway

What he said. ^

Great post.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

Are you seriously trying to make the argument that Benjamin Franklin was an Atheist?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

Some of the greatest minds were also Spiritual Leaders.....they taught Love and Peace. For one to say I am atheist in my opinion is funny. Everyone in my opinion "believes" in something. Call it Nature or whatever, but everyone believes in something.

Does an atheist have anything to lose by not believing in Christ?

Not trying to poor rain on your excitement for atheism I just had a few thoughts to share...

PEACE ;-)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I just don't believe this to be correct. I have seen spirits. I know there is something more than atheists believe.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Are you trying to make a case that atheism is on the rise when by your own statistics 94% of people have rejected it? If Atheism is on the rise, it has a long way to go.
edit on 6-5-2011 by Buddha1098 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by itaii

Don't assume that ALL atheists don't believe in spirits. Atheist just means - without a belief in God. That's ALL atheists have in common. There are plenty who hold set of spiritual beliefs, they just don't include a "god" or deity.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

no i'm not,but benjamin franklin has been listed as a non-believer.
the evidence is spurious and unfounded.
franklin was a strong believer in god,as he makes evident in the creed that follows,though he did not follow the mainstreem religion of the day,he did in fact,believe in a personal god.

his quotes dont exactly denounce his belief,but it does show he did not follow the traditional creed of christianity.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
God is hypothesis if we want to speak in scientific terms, i.e. I'm agnostic. There is (probably) no (possibility of) rational proof of God's existence, as Immanuel Kant said. Still there are areas of human experience which are behind ratio, they are transcendental - at least from our current viewpoint.
Institutionalized religion is for sure "opium of the masses", to cite the classic. On other hand I can not agree with implications of your statement that: "[...] in fact the most morale people on this earth are atheists" without further clarification. I live in country which is for more then 70 years most secular on Earth - Czech republic. I can not say that CZ is "atheistic" country because atheism is very pronounced statement and I'm afraid that majority of people is not able to grow to such abstract state of mind. It doesn't bother them. If Catholicism or some form of protestantism will be prevalent here, the ethical/moral environment will be same. For majority there is no question: believe or not. For majority is conformity "non optional social convention", to cite The Big Bang Theory sitcom.
In name of theism AND atheism the worst crimes against humanity were done. To be agnostic - at least for me - mean: live and let live. And it doesn't mean that my children should be taught creationism or how to do effective pogrom. Moral (or better ethics) is independent on religion ... it have much more to do with common sense and opened mind.
Amen

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Before I begin, I would like to disclose that I would technically be considered an Agnostic. I follow my own spiritual path.

My beliefs are founded on my own personal experience and hypotheses, not spoonfed to me from birth, nor based on the ignorant assumption that because a higher power is not immediately observable it cannot exist.

Now permit me to have a go at what has been said so far...

All thinking men are atheists. — Ernest Hemingway

"Thinking men" should be careful to avoid statements that are inherently false.

more and more people come to there sense's and realize religion,and the notion,theres a all seeing god,is just ridiculous.

Care to explain why you find an all-seeing god ridiculous? You claim your idea that there is absolutely no higher power in the universe is the only intelligent explanation, yet I fail to see any justification to your claim. You only spout typical athiest rhetoric that religion is only a threat to peace and stability of mankind. It is my opinion that it is not religion itself that is the threat, but human nature.

Religion has been manipulated as a divisive tool to keep mankind divided against itself. Many religions are meant to teach us to love one another, to avoid things that bring pain and suffering, and yet religious leaders twist words and promote hatred.

It is not religion that is the problem, it is the "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude, the inability to compromise and help one another.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Glass

You speak my mind. It is hard for me to find proper words in English so I used "institutionalized religion" for what you better describe as "[...] religious leaders twist[ing] words and promot[ing] hatred" because institutionalization of anything is not bad per se. The problems starts, when questioning is banned. We are the question ... or human nature is questioning.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by itaii

Don't assume that ALL atheists don't believe in spirits. Atheist just means - without a belief in God. That's ALL atheists have in common. There are plenty who hold set of spiritual beliefs, they just don't include a "god" or deity.

Technically "without believe" are agnostics. Atheists say, that God(s) DOES NOT EXIST. Atheism is antithesis to theism. Agnosticism is "somehow" synthesis of theism and atheism. "Somehow" because "believe" have no place in rational discussion. Believe is subjective, discussion is (or should be) inter-subjective (doesn't mean objective).

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Some misinformation to clear up before I begin with my own thoughts.

There are two values to calculate when trying to figure out what your 'Faith' identity, luckily for us, it only takes 2 questions!

First Question - Does God exist?

Second Question - How sure are of your opinion of God?

The first question decides where on the "Theism" axis you land, Theist or Atheist.
The second decides where your "Gnostic" score places you, "Gnostic (Certain)" or "Agnostic (Uncertain)"

If you have a wavering belief in God, you might be an Agnostic Theist.
If you are strongly certain that God does not exist, you might be a Gnostic Atheist.
Perhaps you are certain God DOES exist, Gnostic Theist.
And of course, someone not sure if God exists, but not entertaining the idea without evidence is considered Agnostic Atheist.

The GNOSTIC type are the ones that tend to get preachy on both sides of the Theism axis.

Now, with that out of the way, I will simply end by posting a thought by Ben Franklin.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason."

My best guess is that Ben was probably Agnostic Theist.
edit on 6-5-2011 by Furbs because: This message can only be viewed by upgrading your account to ATS Pro

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Most atheists form their lack of belief in God due to the lack of evidence. Most atheists who use that rationale normally don't belief in "spirits" beings, fortune tellers or mediums -

It should be noted that many Atheists are willing to be proved wrong, and do not state that "GOD" can NEVER be proved right. Some of us are very open-minded.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

Most atheists form their lack of belief in God due to the lack of evidence. Most atheists who use that rationale normally don't belief in "spirits" beings, fortune tellers or mediums -

It's irrelevant what atheists believe as regards spirituality. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your statement, just saying it's not relevant. The only point I am making is that atheists share ONE belief and ONE belief only. And that is that there are no deities. Assuming that atheists share other beliefs or lack other beliefs, is a mistake. There is no set of beliefs common to all atheists. There is only one.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

And i agree

But what does spirituality even mean?

I can find a few definitions for it:-

spirituality - Concern for that which is unseen and intangible, as opposed to physical or mundane; Appreciation for religious values

Doesn't everyone have a concern for the unseen and intangible? that's what humans do, seek patterns, attain knowledge - You could say that metaphysics is "spiritual".

Spirituality was believing in something beyond the heavens, now that we knows it's space, we ponder what is beyond that?

Spirituality seems to be the "why" question or the "what" - What is reality? why is it here? In that case, i guess every single human is spiritual, and has a "spirit".

Seems rather abstract to me.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

And i agree

I can find a few definitions for it:-

spirituality - Concern for that which is unseen and intangible, as opposed to physical or mundane; Appreciation for religious values

Doesn't everyone have a concern for the unseen and intangible? that's what humans do, seek patterns, attain knowledge - You could say that metaphysics is "spiritual".

Spirituality was believing in something beyond the heavens, now that we knows it's space, we ponder what is beyond that?

Spirituality seems to be the "why" question or the "what" - What is reality? why is it here? In that case, i guess every single human is spiritual, and has a "spirit".

Seems rather abstract to me.

Just stop with the esoteric distractions.

This thread is about ATHEISM, not what you feel a 'spiritual person' is.

This is why ATS is so diluted with bull#.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Furbs

It's about atheism, i was discussing "spiritual atheism"

You don't like an open-forum? Either STFU & GTFO or report me to the mods.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMaverick
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

no i'm not,but benjamin franklin has been listed as a non-believer.
the evidence is spurious and unfounded.
franklin was a strong believer in god,as he makes evident in the creed that follows,though he did not follow the mainstreem religion of the day,he did in fact,believe in a personal god.

his quotes dont exactly denounce his belief,but it does show he did not follow the traditional creed of christianity.

OK, Just checking... yes, Ben Franklin was more of a deist than other founders. He felt that organized religion impeded on man's freedom and saw no use for it, and I couldn't agree more.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

reply to post by Furbs

It's about atheism, i was discussing "spiritual atheism"

You don't like an open-forum? Either STFU & GTFO or report me to the mods.

Hahaha, i think thats the first star i've given you

Perhaps i can assist you with your question...

Spirituality is just knowledge of the spirit within. For many it goes beyond just a "belief" Its a physical ability to be able to "feel" the spirit within yourself. It has nothing to do with religion though i noticed you found it in your definition. In reality religion handycaps spirituality, but again only for some(such as myself). For many religion brings a belief in the spirit. Which is a start down the path... yet once the spirit is realized religion will only take you so far. You develop your spirit through positivity and love... Many peoples assumptions on the lessons found in the bible lead them to judging others beliefs which is a mistake. If you leave a person to deal with whatever they believe in, theres no judgement, which is why everytime i speak to you i tell you to believe what you will.

You always seem to be looking for something thats provable. Well heres your chance. The spirit within you is very provable, but it takes practice to be able to recognize it. Your internal vibrations are very subtle, but once you learn to recognize what is within, your true journey will begin.

You said in the other thread you're going to "meditate to find Jesus".... As i've said, personally im assuming you're lying but again, i could care less... You're only lying to yourself.

Try to learn chakra meditation... Practice it.... and you'll find the spirit within, only of course IF that is what you're looking for. As they say, seek and you shall find.

Or of course you could just continue with your assumptions.

Either way....be it dark or light....walk your path my friend.

(cunning smile just for you)

edit on 8-5-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join