It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deus Ex Machina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
This is just a cool term I came across recently, it means "God out of the machine".

The definition from Wikipedia:

A deus ex machina (Latin for "god out of the machine"; plural: dei ex machina) is a plot device whereby a seemingly inextricable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved with the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability, or object.

Cool, isn't it.

Assuming life is like an artistic endeavor fashioned by some maestro like god or aliens and made to evolve in a rational way from a beginning problem to a final resolution like a traditional narrative would, then the bad events that threaten to destroy us only to be ultimately relieved in a way that's beyond comprehension merely hint at a higher operating principle to life than whatever structures we construct to encapsulate ourselves.

It's a higher form of management, if you will, that because of it's triteness and stupidity forces tragedy to become comedy.

Anyone ever experience something like this? Or maybe you even rely on it.

Like what happens when the condom breaks or the car beaks down in the middle of nowhere..

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NearPerfect

I imagine that it's not such a good idea to rely on something like this, but I do know what you mean. I've never experienced such a thing myself though. Certainly could use one.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
A timely thread, considering Obama's latest "machinations" dare I say.

Second line.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NearPerfect

It is a cool phrase.
A company in my city builds custom motorcycles and bicycles and they are called Deus Ex Machina. They make really cool stuff as well as restoring some great old style bikes. I think the name suits them.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
As I was a theatre production major in college, I am aware of this term as it related to Greek theatre...if I am not mistaken that is where the original phrase was contrived from. When I first started surfing this site, and ran across project blue beam for the first time, this exact phrase came to mind.

top topics

join