It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Sugar Can't be bought on the market...an herbal replacement...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Interesting thread, I never heard of stevia so I'll have to try it! What exactly is agave nectar? Is that a juice and where can you purchase that?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
Interesting thread, I never heard of stevia so I'll have to try it! What exactly is agave nectar? Is that a juice and where can you purchase that?

Stevia in it's natural form is what you want....using it bleached or cut with sugar is a whole different story...and it won't be much better than using bleached sugar.

Agave Nectar is from the Agave Cactus. Like Tequila?....same cactus. Agave nectar is a glycemic sweetener and has a very low impact on glucose in the body. Very little is needed of both Stevia and Agave as both are at least 10 times sweeter than bleached sugar.

ETA: can be bought at most health food and natural food stores.
edit on 7-5-2011 by Holly N.R.A. because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

Thanks for your reply, I'm definitely going to check this stuff out.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goatar
Alot of gov officials owned sugarcaine fields and thus banned the product.
edit on 6-5-2011 by Goatar because: hit wrong button

Worthy of a thread in it's own right if that can be proven.

Primitive 3rd world government for a technically advanced civilisation - the source of all our problems right there.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
So...me being the connoisseur of sugar that I am, and not knowing if when the SHTF there will be any sugar to be found on the market, I decided I would buy a stevia plant at Lowe's (actually it was three plants in the one pot), and plant them in my garden

Thanks for that. Dropped by my local Lowes and sure enough they had lots of potted Stevia for sale in the herb section. I planted 2 in the garden yesterday.

As far as I can tell, Stevia may be one of the few safe sweeteners available. There are studies showing that common sugar is very bad for us and can create all kinds of problems. Dr. Mercola has a number of articles available, like this one:

articles.mercola.com...

I think pretty much everybody knows that aspartame is deadly poison. Word is that TPTB have created a new poison called "Neotame" that does not even need to be listed on the ingredients list. Yet another good reason to steer clear of processed foods.

FYI.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
That is awesome. I know about stevia but only as an end product. I haven't seen the plant. I thought about just planting sugar cane, but I would rather have stevia plant. You said you got it at lowe's. I didn't see it there. Anyone see it anywhere else? Any suggestions. I will be looking for the seeds online now.
edit on 7-5-2011 by Wetpaint72 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I grow stevia in my garden. I love this stuff much more than sugar, but be careful because it is extremely sweet and a little goes a long way. Here is a link with steps to make stevia extract:

www.ehow.com...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by akkad

Originally posted by Goatar
Alot of gov officials owned sugarcaine fields and thus banned the product.
edit on 6-5-2011 by Goatar because: hit wrong button

Worthy of a thread in it's own right if that can be proven.

Primitive 3rd world government for a technically advanced civilisation - the source of all our problems right there.

I cannot remember what site I read that info on, but will continue to look for it. I found out about the plant after researching how to purchase and grow miracle berry plants (Synsepalum dulcificum.)
Which alone is an awesome plant, but a pain to keep alive and expensive.

Here are some sites that talk about stevia being banned.

Stevia Banned in US and UK

Bittersweet Story of Stevia

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join