It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan nuclear plant should shut down, prime minister says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
cnn.com

Tokyo (CNN) -- Japan's prime minister said Friday he has asked the operator to shut down the nuclear reactors at the Hamaoka nuclear plant until earthquake and tsunami protections can be built.

The article points out that it cannot force the company to shut down the reactors, but only request. But I think in the event that there is another disaster (can lightening strike three times?) then this will take the responsibility off the government and put it strictly on the electric company.
The article doesn't clarify what type of plants they are. If they are the older Mark I like the Fukishima plant, I can see the concern on the government's behalf.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]Seismically speaking, Japan is kind of seeing a lot of action right now.

And after everything they have just been through/are still going through, it makes sense for their leaders to be worried.

They should be reevaluating their safety standards for their nuclear facilities after everything that has happened.

I would be worried if they weren't worried.
edit on 6-5-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
A wise decision, but it may be too little too late.

I find it rather ridiculous that these failsafes were not implemented earlier, in light of the outcome of the Chernobyl disaster and the fact that reactors are being built in a disaster prone area.

It is much like giving a child a loaded gun and trusting him not to shoot someone with it.
edit on 6-5-2011 by Glass because: fixed omission of crucial wording

join