It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Law proposed to force cell companies to shut off texting over 5mph

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
You know, with all of Chicago's ridiculous laws (think firearms) it should be one of the safest places in the country. I wonder why that isn't true? Hehe. Maybe because silly laws don't accomplish anything.

I don't even have a cell phone right now so I'm not saying this out of a personal need to text or talk while driving, but I think all these phone related laws are just stupid.

There are tons of things that people do that distracts them while driving. Smoking, eating, talking with friends, putting on makeup, clipping their nails, flossing, shaving. The list goes on and on. And yes I've seen people do all of those things (not at the same time mind you lol)

There is already laws against reckless driving everywhere, if someone is truly being unsafe while texting and driving then there is no reason to add on additional laws, they are already guilty of reckless driving.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Again, hooray for more Govt intrusion.
How about an app that stops stupid politicians from creating useless laws and wasting our tax dollars?

Govt, get out of my life!!!!!!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by kennyb72

I agree and support your post, no mistake. I admire those folks who disregard the statement "I don't have to tell you that..." or "It goes without saying that..."

It doesn't, or, shouldn't go without saying because the "Common Sense" gene is being repressed by the "Instant Gratification" gene.

However, I can't help but think that the idiots who text and drive will eventually cull themselves out of the herd, but, I pray they miss me when they do.

Cuhail

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I understand why people want to put a stop to texting and driving. A neighbor of mine was killed in an accident caused by texting and driving leaving behind a husband and three kids.

That said, I can not help but be astounded at how misguided this proposed law is. Firstly, as stated by a few members already, unless the cell phone can distinguish between which seat in the vehicle I am occupying the entire feature is worthless. I do not think anyone would argue that there is no reason I should not text while in the back seat of a taxi regardless of it breaking 5mph. The phone can certainly tell when it's moving but not very much beyond that. It doesn't know if I'm the driver, passenger, on a city bus, in a cab, or even on a bike for that matter.

Additionally, the constant targeting of cell phones simply shows a lack of understanding of the true problem here. The issue is not texting or talking on the phone, it's distracted driving. I very often see people on the road doing things they shouldn't be doing while driving. Men shaving, women doing eyeliner, people eating full meals - I'm talking fork and knife, a man having the New York Times unfolded completely covering his dashboard... Those drivers are just as distracted, if not moreso, than the chatty driver or the texter.

This legislation, and others like it, are not addressing that. They're picking one out of a list of problems in the hope that it will make a difference. Sadly, the chances of it accomplishing anything are very slim. The only thing that typically happens after "crackdowns" on cell phones is some extra tickets. Those who are not paying attention will find something else to distract them, putting everyone else at risk.
edit on May 6th 2011 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Simple, shut off the screen for all cell connected devices that are moving. Driver or passenger.

Side benefit would be that parents and children would be forced to talk to each other more.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I completely agree. It is just as dangerous as drunk driving, imo. I have never been in an accident or near accident with a drunk driver but lemme tell you, its a daily BATTLE to avoid getting in an accident with people on their damn cell phones!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

Cant see this going anywhere as the City Council of Chicago is not empowered to regulate cell phone companies.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
It's about time! I see far too many people texting while behind the wheel, holding up traffic with no concern for their surroundings, and completely oblivious to what's happening on the road.

Funny thing is it's usually not teens. Teens usually speed far too much. But it's usually adults, women, and immigrants from a few select countries, I see holding up traffic. Not going the speed limit and keeping up with the flow of traffic, or going to slow in a left lane is dangerous, yet we're surrounded by incompitent drivers every day who put everyone else at risk.

There are simply far too many people incapable of driving, even without any electronics in the car. When you throw phones into the mix, it's like watching a 2 yr old trying to tie his shoes. Maybe the problem is all the over-medicated adults in this country, who are loopy and completely out of it when they drive. It's something, because hand-eye coordination and reaction speed of many drivers leaves a lot to be desired, and that's being kind.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I couldn't agree more. It's downright frightening to watch some drivers these days. People think they're doing okay, can handle it, but they're NOT and CAN'T. Frankly I don't give a flying bleep if they kill themselves, but when it concerns the safety of others? That's a whole new game.

I've been smashed into THREE TIMES by people texting while driving, with more close calls from people slowing down to 20 in a 60 out of nowhere or coming over the line, than I can even remember.

Not sure 1000 laws are going to change anything though. People won't obey them and law enforcement won't enforce them. Virtually worthless. The only time law enforcement checks texting activity is when there's an accident. After the fact. When it might be too late for some.

As for passengers texting? Maybe the app could tell via GPS/satellite imaging and other technology to tell where the person was sitting in the car

Is texting while driving really that important and worth the risk? Sheesh.

I read somewhere there's a device on the market that jams signals to/from cell phones for a radius of X feet. I just might get one and also invest in their stock. Kidding. Sort of.
edit on 5/6/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It's good in intent, but how does it discern if the person texting is actually operating a vehicle? People riding in one of the passenger seats, on a bus, or on the L should be allowed to text. Unfortunately, this method is infringing on the rights of people using public transportation that have nothing to do with the problem.

I think if they want to do something, put out a mandate in the police force to go cracking down hard on phone use by vehicle drivers while on the beat. (I'm all for that! People on the phone are worse than drunk drivers these days, and there's too much of it!) Perhaps put in some quotas for such tickets and a monthly bonus for officers that top the list in this regard.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

Simple solution to the problem of people texting while driving. Instal a device into the steering wheel that requires both hands on the wheel. If after 30 secs the hand is not replaced on wheel, the car lights flash and the horn sounds in time with the flash. At least it will alert other drivers that there is nutter on the road.
It will sort out some of the other stupid practices as well.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Texting while operating a vehicle is very dangerous.

But I, myself, only text in-car when there is a very high probability that the information I'm sending will save lives, therefore mitigating any potential evils that may happen while my attention is diverted by way of the definite good being done by means of my cellular phone.

I save lives.

Plus, phone or not, there are 1000 other human things that happen that cause accidents. Even if such a law was passed there would be absolutely no decrease in accidents, only upset citizenry who want to text and will anyway.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NearPerfect

But I, myself, only text in-car when there is a very high probability that the information I'm sending will save lives, therefore mitigating any potential evils that may happen while my attention is diverted by way of the definite good being done by means of my cellular phone.

If it is that important, why wouldn't you pull over stop the car and then text?

only upset citizenry who want to text and will anyway.

Each and every one of these citizens who think they have a right to endanger the lives of other road users should have their licenses taken from them and made to take a new driving test - period

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I have a commercial drivers license. I drive 50 -150 miles per day in residential communities. not one day goes by, not one, where I don't see a distracted driver do something careless

great law

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Laws don't stop people from doing something, they just punish them. There are already laws that exist for disrupting traffic, and driving dangerously, etc. Where are laws about putting makeup on while driving, or reading a book while driving, or singing while driving, or talking to the passenger without driving? The fact is, some people can do all of that stuff fine while driving, the problem lies when distracted drivers begin driving recklessly. If police were told to go after texters driving poorly, without a law specifically being in place about texting, the same end result can be accomplished - tickets, punishment, revenue generated from the ticket, and maybe one person who sucks at texting and driving not trying it again for fear of getting ticketed for reckless driving.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join