It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EQ in UK Imminent?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
You might also recal that two small'ish EQ's were reported a week apart in the last month, one just outside Blackpool, the other just outside Leigh in Lancs.

Great thread ..!!

I remember the earthquake in 08
But i live in leigh and do not recall hearing of an earthquake last month

I certainly didnt feel anything

strange

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
There's just been an earthquake here in Liverpool roofs are collapsing, windows smashed, cars turned over... Now about the earthquake damage....

Naw I remember that one in 08 I thought a demon had entered the house

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by moosevernel

I am in Birchwood and I didn't feel it either! But it was on EDIS. I shall try and see if I can find the report if you want the evidence!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by R3N3G4D3

Yes, I felt that one too! That is why I am trying to find out if the readings in Market Rasen are significant.

I have posted on another forum the same thing and somebody gave me a brilliant link to the geology of Anglesey.
What a flippin' eye opener! I am from Anglesey originally and thought it was one of the most solid bits of rock in the UK. Boy was I wrong!
You see I had a dream about 8 years ago where I was driving from Anglesey back to Devon (where I lived then). As me and the kids are in a place called Pentraeth, the earth starts shaking really, really violently. The road up ahead starts cracking open and I yell to the kids to get out of the car and head for the tree line. We lie down next to some fallen trees to form the famous triangle of life. Trees are falling all around us, the ground shakes are violent. I remember thinking, "this is ridiculous, Anglesey only gets shock waves from other EQ's" (which is very very rare and usually small). The next thing I know the kids and I are standing overlooking the Menai Straits. Both bridges have gone, the straits are bone dry and I can see plumes of smoke rising in different areas over on the main land.
The link the chap on other site gave me, scarred the bejeesus out of me because there are numerous fault lines on Anglesey, one goes down the Menai Straits, another one goes across Pentraeth where I saw the ground cracking open up the road!
myweb.facstaff.wwu.edu...

Interestingly, I have tried getting back on the BGS site apparently "web site cannot be found", and the site did not up date any of its charts yesterday since about 8.30am -11.30am, depending which area you were looking at. Beginning to think I really am on to something if they have taken the web site off line!

Shake, rattle and roll!

rainbows
jane

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Please see my posting above with reagards to Anglesey as a case in point. UK is covered in fault lines! Agreed not the huge type like New Madrid, or San Andreas. However The EQ's in UK have been getting more frequent since the Japan one. They may be small and indetectable to the likes of you and me because of their depth. However I have also been keeping an eye on the EQ's around the mediterranean since January. They have upted in frequency, strength, and come much closer to the surface in a short space of 4 months. Yesterday for example at one point there were 54 EQ's world wide reported on EDIS at one point, 24 of those were in Southern Europe around the med, and 13 of them hit Italy, Greece and Turkey (Greece getting 6.). The biggest at that time was a 4.9 Sicilly which increased Etna's eruption.

All I now is, there is something brewing. Whether its because 'small and often', like a jack hammer going off all the time is slowly working it's way around all the 'little' fault lines, as could be the case in Anglesey. If I am correct in my feelings that these small but persistent EQ's continue, the evidence is there that they are weakening the sub structure and therefore increasing in frequency, strength and closenes to the surface, then when a BIGGY goeas off the infrastructure if you will is already damaged and the resulting 'knock on effect' will be dare I say cataclysmic.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

yeah that would be great thanks..!!

Not saying i dont believe you but it would be interesting to see

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by iWokeUp

Sorry Puterman, and i know you are highly thought of here ...BUT, if that was the case then there would be seizmic action and big quakes every day !
Regardless if there is a train station near by ??

Note that I did not say that I saw trains on the seismo? I was merely pointing out that there is a railway line (where it had been stated there was not) and therefore it is possible that it could show as an event of the seismogram - but not as an earthquake. Trains, wind etc are very different signatures. There were many signatures on that seismo that did not look like earthquakes.

As I mentioned I cannot get the waveform for this but I have made an enquiry with BGS. It was too late for any action on Friday afternoon so I am hoping it will be resolved sometime next week. If I can get the waveform I can make a sound file and soon tell what is going on.

I would recommend that you read this excellent page from Natural Resources Canada. On it they show the signal from trains. Unfortunately it is clipped, which does not happen on the BGS instruments. The page is worth a read.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I can get on to the site with no problem but nothing has been updated as you say.

Loved the links to the geology of Anglesey.

S & F by the way. It is getting interesting!

edit on 7/5/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I can't load a pic at present as media is refusing to co-operate but I will when I can. Look at the seismos again. You will note that all the 'activity' is pretty much confined to set bands.

That is a sure sign that it is from man made sources.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
AAhhh people, we are forgetting. Anglesey has a major RAF base there Valley, and who has just gone back to work there after getting married?....just sayin lol

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

My apologies, I missed this post.

Perhaps you could point me in the right direction of an Irish BGS equivalent please?

Regrettably there is no Irish equivalent. Actually pretty much all the earthquakes in Ireland - you can count them on one had for the last 10 years - are picked up by the BGS so on the rare occasion we get one it should turn up there.

I believe I am right when I say that Ireland is the least earthquake prone area in the world when the traces from the leprechauns beating the bejesus out of one another with their shillelagh's are removed.

Some say Antarctica is the least earthquake prone, but I don't believe that is true and it also has volcanoes and is a touch on the cold side (-89 deg F a couple of days ago)

Slightly off topic, can you explain if seismo's are set at different sensitivities, how then do they ratify the readings accross the world so that a 5.0 means the same thing everywhere? I am probably being dense at this juncture! Lol!

Not at all. I hope this will explain it.

Let us say you have a seismo in an area where you never get very large quakes. You would want to turn the sensitivity of the display up so that the smaller ones show. In an area where larger quakes occur normally you might want to turn the sensitivity down to compensate. These are only computer screen displays.

There is nothing showing on the siesmos which I can see on IRIS (by the way the BGS site still seems to be down) so I have picked this one for Graefenburg in Germany. GRA1.GR..BHZ.2011.129 Take a look at the time between 09:00 and 14:00 and you can see a few small quakes. By changing the sensitivity of the display we can see the earthquakes better, but all the microseisms make it look messy.

GRA1.GR..BHZ.2011.129

Basically I have made the display so that more shows.

GRA1.GR..BHZ.2011.129

This goes the other way and shows less, but if there was a BIG quake there it would prevent it from saturating the display.

Whilst this is not exactly what is happening on the BGS displays since I am playing around with the IRIS recorders, the principles are the same.

The mV basically are voltages generated by the instrument being moved by a quake or disturbance. On the LMK instrument the display shows one vertical line for each movement caused by 200 mV generated. FOEL is set at 781.25 mV so it would take a movement almost 4 times as strong to show the same amount on the seismogram. At Yellowstone where the seismograms are often at 1600mV it would take 8 times the amount of movement to get the same size squiggle as at LMK.

These are however ONLY screen representations and have no effect on the underlying data whereby the characteristics of the earthquake are determined. It would be different if we were looking at paper traces but these are just generated for the computer screens and are not actually the exact data anyway. The seismologists do not use these to determine the quakes.

This post about quakes at Yellowstone shows you what they see and what we see. They are not exactly the same since in that instance the drop outs are replaced with continuous flat line on the seismogram we see.

By the way the fact that I can get some of the UK seismograms from IRIS means that the UK data is still being collected and analysed. It just is not available on the web site.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I would like to point out that before 17th April, Market Rasen was as quiet as a church mouse

Just an addendum. Do you happen to have copies of the LMK one before the 17th?

If so, has the sensitivity been changed? (Not that this would make it quiet as a church mouse unless it was up at 1600 or 2000 mV)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
No earthquakes will be allowed in Anglesy by royal decree because you know who is living there

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
BGS is back..and movement is still going on only more wide spread!

Thank you everybody foryour responses. I will post again next after this one to reply individually. This post is just to say that BGS is back up but has missed two days and is showing yesterday and today's readings. I have been through every one of them for today and yesterday and I have to tell you that almost every one of them is now showing some kind of movement!

There is deffinately something brewing either directly here in the UK or we are picking up from somewhere else. It cannot be all man made, no matter how teeny weeny some of the readings are. There is 'movement'/noise where there hasn't been any before.

Just a point of note there have been 18 +5 EQ's mainly in the SW Pacific ring of fire since this afternoon.

Rainbows
jane
edit on 10-5-2011 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
There does seem to be a small earthquake, at about 09:15.
Shows up better on the longer period traces, so I assume its not local.
Anyone know where it was?

Edit - silly me - its probably the big Loyalty islands quake at 08:55 coming through.

edit on 10-5-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-5-2011 by alfa1 because: typo.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Market Rasen DID have 'shake' this am!

Sorry for delay, but my friend in Anglesey got in touch earlier and asked if I had posted about Market Resen on another site/forum. I said I hadn't. I don't know if I am allowed to put a link up here to another forum site???
However, there was a shake there this morning and reports are coming in from a wide area around the UK of people feeling something at the same time. Market Rasen was not big but it was at a depth of just 8 miles. As I mentioned above, there has been 'movement' showing at this time in many places across the UK. Unfortunately BGS has stopped reporting since 6.30 tonight. Also the few people who have reported shakes from Market Rasen have said they have been feeling odd vibrations on and off for almost a month. Coincedentally, while BGS has been off for the last two days, the vibrations have got stronger.

Am I allowed to post link to other site?

Rainbows
Jane
edit on 10-5-2011 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

No unfortunately I don't, I'm sorry. Should have taken 'screen shots' my daughter tells me!

Any sign of your sound wave conversion thingy that you do?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

its probably the big Loyalty islands quake at 08:55 coming through.

Agreed. Quite a nice one on the very long period. You did well to spot that on the short period! I can hardly see it, let alone ID it as a quake!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
HAHA I was talking to guildies on TS when the 2008 quake hit. I heard it before I felt it, thought the monster from Cloverfield was in my back garden. Everyone thought I was nutter when I yelled EARTHQUAKE, seconds later they felt it too, both in opposite sides of the country.

Don't want another one like that thank you, back of my house is already knackered from the last one (proper structural work is to be done before july). The quake itself didn't cause it, but it sure did make it worse. Another one and the back of my house is likely to fall down!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

and I have to tell you that almost every one of them is now showing some kind of movement!

This is because you have been having stormy weather. If you had a read of the links I provided you will realise that seismograms do not JUST show earthquakes.

Weather, particularly gales, cars, people, trains, sonic booms - and of course earthquakes - to mention a few show on seismos along with various forms of interference.

If a whole bunch of seismos in a region are 'getting busy' you can bet that it is weather that is causing it.

As I said earlier you need to check the short period against the long period. This will give you a much better picture. Wait until we get a quake to show up and I will explain it better then.

You don't need to worry about screen shots of LMK other than for your own interest - I have it on an automated download now. I get the previous days seismogram at mid day every day (to make sure I have the whole day on the plot)

I am still progressing a source for the waveforms but BGS are not answering me. I have just sent another email.
At least this time I know they got it!

----- The following addresses had successful delivery notifications ----- (relayed to non-DSN-aware mailer)

Waiting for the read receipt now.

I can't put it through my sound wave conversion thingy until I get a waveform. I will let you know as soon as I do. In the meantime we need a few more days to build up a pattern for this seismo. Before they system went down it looked as if all the 'noise' was confined with a spread which indicates man made sources.

This is the one I was not able to upload several days ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join