It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Challenge to All Partisan ATSers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Partisanship and the bickering it breeds is killing us. It makes us lose focus of the real priorities and issues as it derails countless discussions and take our eyes off what the real issues and the real root causes are. It prevents compromise and solutions. We're arguing with each other and stalling progress as this country crumbles.

Not picking on anyone in particular, because this kind of thing is all over the board and all over the web and other media, and all over the world. People are making big bucks making it their careers too.

But do you realize how much more powerful a message you can send just by couching things in a more generic way? How much more attention and focus you could get? Words and tone matter. For example, think about thread titles.

Compare This: Barrack Obama Demands .."Believe What We Tell You"

To This: Our Conspiring Government Demands, "Believe What We Tell You"

or

Compare This: GOP cuts food stamp funding as unemployment soars

ToThis:Congress cuts food stamp funding as unemployment soars

How many more people would come to your thread if the title doesn't automatically turn at least half of them off?

Sure, one way gets you the attention of those who will come to fight with you on the same level, but is that what you really want? And it also attracts those who already think the way you do. That's kind of boring, no?

How many more would sit up and take notice and make connections and retain continuity of the issues and see what's happening instead of being trapped in this endless, spiraling vortex of partisan bickering and insults.

How many more people would contribute to the discussion of the issue?

Seriously, this kind of thing dilutes both the message and the seriousness of what is happening and is effectively paralyzing we the people—as intended by nefarious forces. They love us divided and feuding among ourselves as they merrily do whatever the hell they please.

STOP helping them divide us!

In this spirit, I issue a challenge to all partisan poster here at ATS. For one week, try to post the same stories and same responses you would normally post but without that spin. Look at it as an American and not as any other label.

Think it would make a difference? Is anyone up for it?

edit on 5/5/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
True.. That would make some difference.. Though my posting style wouldnt change as all politicians disgust me.. Lmao equal opportunity loathing of the corrupt , useless buggers..

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Not sure if it's appropriate or not, but that is exactly the crux of the debate on this thread - Thread - looks like you could contribute to the discussion IMO

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijaqd

Thank you Hijaqd. I've been following that thread pretty closely, though I was late finding it. I may chime in at some point

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Many believe there are no twp parties..
There's just two sides of the same coin..

I never mention parties, only Government...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Right. Same here. The challenge I guess is more to those who are partisan. Maybe people don't think they are? Or maybe I'm just boring and it's a stupid idea
I figured baby steps. Try it for a while and see what happens. Oh well.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

So the real trick is to teach people that with the current system there really is NO choice..

Only the illusion of choice..

When enough realize that it's the "system" that is screwed then maybe they will push for change.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Luc
u do have a valid point
however, be advised:
It is standard ATS Policy that
we keep the same title of the
thread that corresponds to the
title of the MSM article. So,
maybe we ought to send this
thread to the MSM so they can
correct their biased reporting.
ATS is only mimicking what is
portrayed online.

And the spooks around here take
advantage of that in force.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Washington brings the dog.
The Media brings the pony.
Then we all just sit back and watch the show, that's all it is.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I very much appreciate the general idea here, but remember not everybody is American - and separating yourself off as an American rather than just a person is a form of partisanship in itself!

Apart from that I agree though

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
[Insert your governments seat of power here] brings the dog.
The Media brings the pony.
Then we all just sit back and watch the show, that's all it is.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The problem with your request, while still noble and worthy of an attempt from us non-bots, is that there are, as you say, certain individuals employed to keep that narrative going. And this being a website that is obviously interested in more users and page-views is conflicted in just how much they want to limit participation of any kind.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hijaqd

Not sure if it's appropriate or not, but that is exactly the crux of the debate on this thread - Thread - looks like you could contribute to the discussion IMO

The interesting thing is there really hasn't been much of a debate in that thread. Like so often happens on ATS whena thread singles out ellements who could really serve to consider and learn, those people for the most part tend to pass on by what no logic will really overcome.

That's part of the probelm with the partisan bickering is that many of the people who employ it are too engaged employing it to want to slow down and consider it and challenge themselves.

I feel like the thread has been a great success in that its recieved a lot of positive comments and related opinions and great suggestions how to overcome the partisan mindset, but I don't think it's recieved much attention at all from those trapped in the left/right political divide who really can't easily debate the logic that's being employed.

I do though think there are some great statements of fact and arguments in that thread that if adopted will better help those faced with partisan arguments that thwart topical debate and discussion if employed.

Thanks for pointing out the thread, I feel it's a must read for anyone who is frustrated with how the left/right political divide infects too many debates and important topics.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I am well aware of this T&C. However, the worst offenders set their own titles in forums other than the news forums where this is a rule. Often they change a relatively generic title to a more baiting one, and sometimes there is not related article. At least this is what I've observed.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Yep. This is a big fail. But I sort of expected that. Just another indicator of how deeply entrenched this very dangerous mindset has become. Or hell maybe it was always that way, but now we just see it more and, arguably, it matters more.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Ive done this a few times. Used terms like "politicians" "government" and "administration" in lieu of "dems" "repubs" "Obama."

Doesnt do much good. Within a half dozen posts it devolves into R v D stupidity.

Because being raped by some dude in a blue shirt is obviously preferable to being raped by some dude in a red shirt.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Yeah. It's easy to get caught up in the bickering and takes a conscious effort to think and choose your words carefully to avoid it. Sigh.

That, and the some of the people who do it may not even be conscious of the fact that they are doing it.They think this is the way it should be?

edit on 5/6/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
What we have is Coke and Pepsi. Different names but both are the same drink. The left and right arms of the same entity. I picture it being like pro wrestling, on the camera they throw chairs at each other but behind the scenes they are laughing and having a beer. You know this is true because no matter which party is in the majority, things just keep getting worse and worse.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

That's a pretty good analogy. Yet many people don't seem to see this?

top topics

join