It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi floods force evacuations near Memphis

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
reply to post by Krzyzmo

Arkansas is getting it bad too....so far they have closed part of the I-40 bridge connecting Little Rock to Memphis, as water is starting to cover it.

When they shut that bridge completely down, it will be ugly.

That's disrupt not only residents that live on either side of the river needing to get home, but commercial truckers with goods will have to take a 120 mile plus u-turn.

It's both directions, as of May 5, 2011. The detours of 110 miles each direction, in my opinion, need to be upgraded to conform to inter-state traffic and be a permanent route until the existing inter-state roads can be elevated or upgraded to withstand a flood. The corridor between Memphis and Little Rock really needs at least 3 lanes on each side. The White River Bridge on I-40 just doesn't cut-it anymore and it is obsolete in capacity and reliability; there's no other way but to upgrade and refit. We'll just have to innovate ourselves out of this catastrophe. Working together, will be the only way.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Hey good luck to you ATSers there on the river. I hope you guys get out of there safe

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
It sure is nice to have some folks from the area posting here. I hope you will be able to continue to do so. If you can then that means you are still in pretty good shape I would think and I hope it remains that way for you.

Any updates from that area would be grt for the rest of us to be able to pass on to our friends and family that may not be getting the real news about their areas. I know many people tend to wait for the MSM to tell them before they do anything. Sad really.

I can't help but think FEMA had a clue about this. I guess in one way it is good that they may well be prepared at least and not caught as lacking as they were in New Orleans.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
On GLP they were talking about the New Madrid going off, it's so doomy over there I can't get decent news. It's bad out there, prayers for whoever's down there.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
It is true that FEMA and local agencies have assets in the area around the New Madrid Seismic Zone for the NLE11 exercise. NLE 11 is National Level Exercise 2011, which is to be conducted on May 15, 2011. Not sure if they will work it as intended with the flooding.

The MSM is sorely lacking, I have almost given up trying to find information in East Arkansas, but I can't give-up. I have found Facebook to be the most efficient way of spreading information (credible,) by photos and videos. The Cell Phone is the greatest asset civilian journalists have to share information quickly. We have to stress this over and over. The media isn't doing enough, so we have to step-up and fill the gap.

Just trying to find information about an area is maddening. Finding aerial maps or photos is seemingly difficult and it is unknown why. Some feel as if the information is censored. There is no mention of it on YouTube. There is one aerial video from May 2, 2011, but I refuse to believe it's not there. Either the search terms are incorrect or it's being censored in some way. It's just not there.

The best tools we have are our eyes and ears. Use the technology and common sense. Just keep your eyes open and too much information is better than none at all. Post, video, and photograph everything you see which might be out of the ordinary. If this all gets beyond what it is now, we'll just have to stop for a bit and realize that what is required is to just get out there and do it. When we see the truth, and it doesn't reconcile with what MSM is showing, then we know we have been censored or lied-to, all along. I hope this isn't the case, but I have little patience and won't give benefit of the doubt to a MSM and Gov't that have perpetually skewed the truth or presented a biased version of the truth for so long, who knows they might believe their own versions, but I can see through their muddy waters as clearly as air.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I'm in Northern Illinois, that's why it's freaking me out. I keep seeing Cayce's map on GLP and I'm too poor to leave

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I'm in Northern Illinois, that's why it's freaking me out. I keep seeing Cayce's map on GLP and I'm too poor to leave

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Weren't there tons of tornados and storms in this area before the flooding?
I'm not familiar with US geography
edit on 6-5-2011 by thedeadwalkk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
So far, Police Officers ,Health Dept. officials, and Shelby County EMA have began going door to door warning residents with evacuations/ advisements to leave.

CNN is really giving this issue MAJOR airtime, I see.

Chad Myers gave extensive coverage and told citizens that the flood waters are no joke and that people should be leaving before they notice water in their yard, because by then, it will be too late to leave.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
So far, Police Officers ,Health Dept. officials, and Shelby County EMA have began going door to door warning residents with evacuations/ advisements to leave.

CNN is really giving this issue MAJOR airtime, I see.

Chad Myers gave extensive coverage and told citizens that the flood waters are no joke and that people should be leaving before they notice water in their yard, because by then, it will be too late to leave.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Live coverage from chopper 5 (WMC)

Aerial view of Memphis

www.wmctv.com... 2C%202011&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=987033&LaunchPageAdTag=Homepage&activePane=info&rnd=66491689

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This all looks very familer to what happened at the start of the year down under here in aussie. Weeks of rain water slowly moving downstream. You guys look out for another big rain system, if you do get one, get out fast. Inland tsunami's are really something not to sit and wait for. Keep watching the weather rain rader and stay safe.
www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Brother, I hope you are preparing to move out. As it looks.....better don't wait untill they call your zip code. Then it's gonna be too crowdy and transportation and roads will be a mess. Go man, go !

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

AGREE.

with NLE 2011 New Madrid catastrophe drill occuring in the past few days,
it could get quite 1984 around there.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Bump, the BIn Laden distraction worked. :-(
2nd.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
For the first time [to my knowledge] the flooding in the Mississippi is being mentioned in the UK news [Sky News - check their website, apologies if it does not work outside of the UK.]

15 minutes ago there was a short segment on it. What they are reporting at this stage:

Memphis residents are being urged to evacuate [as per the ticker]
The segment did not make this as serious - but there was shots of flodded homes and people packing..
The river is normally 0.5 miles wide but is currently 3 miles [im assuming at Memphis itself]
Almost higher than record level set in 1937
Apparently set to peak at 14.5 Metres withing a fet hours [48 ft]
Moving at 2 million cubic feet per second/12MPH [double normal]

Not sure how this compares to what the media is reporting elsewhere but thought I would mention it..

Be se if you are anywhere near...

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Soooo...the Mississippi is back on the rise again...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join