It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi floods force evacuations near Memphis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Mississippi floods force evacuations near Memphis

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - The rising Mississippi river lapped over downtown Memphis streets on Thursday as a massive wall of water threatened to unleash near record flooding all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.

Water lapped over Riverside Drive and onto Beale Street in Memphis, and threatened some homes on Mud Island, a community of about 5,000 residents with a river theme park. The island connects to downtown Memphis by a bridge and causeway.

Emergency officials in Millington near Memphis were "going door-to-door, asking people to leave," according to the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I think we all knew something was going to come from this river rising and storms passing through. I have friends there and Im sure many others have family as well. My prayers are with them.

I realize it isnt a epic mess yet, but I can't help but think this is just the tip of the ice burg. There are plenty more cities downriver

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Man, Elvis is gonna be PISSED if Graceland goes under!

Just sayin'.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Is this being reported on the Fox, CNN, etc? This seems huge but no talk of it, I guess

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
reply to post by onehuman

Is this being reported on the Fox, CNN, etc? This seems huge but no talk of it, I guess

The Weather Channel is reporting on this. They are showing programs right now, but they covered it all day. So watch that channel. They already blew a wall/damn in ILL. to control (not in a bad way, it gives people time to move, I hope everyone is listening)

I am not into predicting things, such as times and date, but when I see the signs then I know it is time to act.

onehuman,
Thank you for posting this. It really is way more important than the events in the msm.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
So far, they have told all police personnel that they can't take vacation or have days off, to help with emergencies and to keep the peace when panic spreads from mass evacuation.

All of this news came on tonight.

The situation changes to worse every few hours.

Earlier, I went downtown to the river like many have been doing, to see history in the making; this great flood of 2011.

The water hadn't reached Beale street (similar to Bourbon St in new Orleans), but tonight, it made its way up to it filling up quickly.

In Memphis, 20,000 people will be evacuated, and they are saying that number more than likely will increase as the days go by.

They are serious.

The local news has been warning us and warning us because they know some won't take it seriously, stay here, and create casualties behind this. They don't want anyone to say that we weren't warned......

They have already told us what to be packing (vital records, bottle water, medicine, etc) and to be ready to leave at a MOMENT'S NOTICE

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I hear the flood waters are rising and moving up the Mississippi river.
Here's one article-
Swollen Mississippi River Rises...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

How is the Arkansas side by the dog track holding up. Pretty high on the leveee?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Krzyzmo

Arkansas is getting it bad too....so far they have closed part of the I-40 bridge connecting Little Rock to Memphis, as water is starting to cover it.

When they shut that bridge completely down, it will be ugly.

That's disrupt not only residents that live on either side of the river needing to get home, but commercial truckers with goods will have to take a 120 mile plus u-turn.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Oh wow, that's huge closing I-40 bridge.
That sucks to hear.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Tomorrow at 7am they are going to 'release' the zip codes that need to immediatley evacuate...

they've already been showing about 20 zip codes( mine included) but said to be prepared to evacuate.

Does this sound suspicious to anyone? Like they are trying got avoid mass panic??

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Sounds like a strong potential for martial law out there.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krzyzmo

Sounds like a strong potential for martial law out there.

Indeed....

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Was wondering when it was going to start having an impact on that area. Nightmare city to say the least.

If I lived there, I'd already be on my way out, before any mandatory evac's are declared. Be smart and do it BEFORE you have to deal with the crazies.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I'm creeped out!!

They have started to warn residents about snakes in the flood water, and around homes, everywhere!!

Those THINGS are my most feared phobia and I cannot be here for that sh#!

www.myfoxmemphis.com...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Here are some slides:

www.abc24.com...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
more photos and news link

www.myfoxmemphis.com...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
and of course it's raining again straight up through Indiana

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Krzyzmo

Dang!

And we are supposed to get some of that tomorrow night

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
The I-40 closure is distressing, this happened on May 3, 2011. They closed both lanes effective May 5, 2011. Levee break in Clarendon on May 4, and Cotton Plant, Patterson, and Gregory were notified to evacuate. The lack of MSM attention is sorely lacking.

This has never been seen before in this area to this extreme. As being an Eastern Arkansan, I find the lack of media attention for want of discussing bin Laden conspiracy, is insult to injury. I had been hoping that someone step-up to the place, but since none have yet, I issue a challenge to any credible media person.

If you won't, I will. We'll just have to task a grass-roots team to inform and investigate, I suppose. Knowing the area, intimately, I have a suspicion things are being "down-played" due to their severity.

I've never seen this magnitude of flooding in all my years. And it's not over yet.

If anyone who reads this, is from Brinkley, Arkansas, or in a surround town, please post under this thread, in order to keep-in touch and network. I guess we'll have to put our thinking-caps on. In order to survive.

I'll try to find video, pictures, and other aerial views of the flooding areas, but information is just NOT there. If anyone knows a recent Sat image, which is Hi-Res, please post it up here. It feels as if we are blind and deaf, the information is just not there.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join