It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanny-Staters Want Neck Tie Ban

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Yeah! And they shouldn't have to wash their hands, either. I mean what is with that out of control tyranny!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Am a physician.. No way in hell would I ever practice in america - glorified pill pushers working for big pharma with their hands tied by way too many regulations.. As to dress I never wear western clothing. I stick to traditional hakama and keigogi or samue more comfortable and easier to keep clean.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I go to a hospital every few weeks and you would be surprised how often i see employees outside in scrubs.
some were taking smoke breaks because there is a ban inside the buildings other were eating in the outside area of the cafeteria.

Some doctors even come to work in there scrubs.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
well, gee do they wear these ties while performing surgeries or wihle giving a vaccine to a kid? Oh wait, its the nurse who gives the vaccine right?'

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

You took the words right out of my mouth! Thank you!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
When performing surgery doctors arent wearing their neat little ties and white jackets.

Whens the last time during a physical or other non-emergency visit did your doctor jam his tie into your mouth, eyes, ears or into any gaping wound?

Can anyone ever recall their doctor after washing his hands and before touching you give his tie a little adjustment?

This is the quintessential non-issue.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Unfortunately physicians love traditions, neckties are mostly worn by med students to abide by "professional attire". And its always been that way, I think this law will help in reducing nosocomial infections. Hospitals are full of infected people making it one of the best places to get an infection of some sort.

There is absolutely no reason for a doctor to wear a tie in a hospital, other than looking "professional". I hope this law takes affect. Physicians are scientists and should know better, sticking to tradition because they themselves went through with it is ridiculous.

Med students and residents work 120 hours a week!!! Why? Because its always been done that way it is a rite of passage, and it brings very bad consequences on the patients when their doctors are sleep deprived, making wrong diagnoses to writing wrong prescriptions. There is a law stating that residents are limited to 90 hours a week, but I haven't seen a hospital abide by that rule yet.
edit on 6-5-2011 by DrChuck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DrChuck

I agree.

Although, I don't think it's just a matter of the doctors following tradition. It's to ease a patients mind by appearing to be a competent professional. Imagine walking into a lawyers office and seeing him wearing boxers and a stained and ripped T-shirt. You wouldn't feel like you were getting the best lawyer around.

Now, with a law in place, they can comfortably change their dress without appearing to be less than professional.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Something occured to me while in the restroom just now.

Belts must be absolutely filthy.

Are doctors going to have to give up belts?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I am not real familiar with this subject, but why just neckties and coats? Would not all the dress shirts and slacks, and shoes all contain the same bacteria? Why single out neck ties? Is it about the amount of dry cleaning? I could see where clothing would be cleaned more often then ties. But i would think belts and shoes would not be cleaned very often. What about if that Dr wears glasses? Nose pieces are infamous for growing bacteria, what about female Drs that wear jewlery....where does the insanity end???

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ultraman2011
This is yet another example of Nanny State Liberalism run amok. The true motivation behind these types of laws is to make the person who proposed it feel good about themselves and, if they are a politician, to pretend they did something useful, because they could not think of anything useful to suggest.

This stuff drives me batty! We live in a society where intent is more important that actual results and facts. The public read a headline and go along with it, because "it sounds nice."

We had laws being put into effect last year making it illegal to smoke in a car with kids. Now, any half wit would know this isn't a good idea. But, if you are going to make laws on stupidity, you could start writing till your hands fell off.

I consulted with a surgeon today. I'm glad he showed up professionally attired in a tie.if he was chillin in shorts/tshirt and flip flops i might question his professionalism.. Don't want any "slackers" on the scalpel....

edit on 6-5-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE

I consulted with a surgeon today. I'm glad he showed up professionally attired in a tie.if he was chillin in shorts/tshirt and flip flops i might question his professionalism.. Don't want any "slackers" on the scalpel....

glad i am not a DR. thats my standard attire!!!!!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mythos13

Originally posted by 46ACE

glad i am not a DR. thats my standard attire!!!!!

no offense bra'; in some "fields" that may be fine and not "slacking"
Come to think of it i have seen surgeons wearing croc's when they will be on their feet all day inthe "o.r"...

<< 1   >>

join