It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a bad feeling that the war on conspiracy theorists has begun (or at least has been ramped up)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Hi. I read all the posts and thought I would add my 2 cents.

I have been watching the MSM more that usual lately, and I see exactly what the OP is saying. The thing is, do you guys really think they will send you to jail (or camp) for being a conspiracy theorists? What I am convinced they're going to do is slowly mold the publics idea of us from "conspiracy theorists" to "social dissidents" to "terrorists".

Look at how the media talks about "terrorists" in the USA these days. Splinter cell operatives communicating online. When I heard them say this on CNN, I was like "that seems like a pretty broad statement". I have no doubt that they want to blanket us all under "terrorist" eventually. Watch how in the months to come "conspiracy theorist" will be use synonymously with "terrorist" on the MSM. And throw in a nice false flag to seal the deal.

I really hope I'm wrong though. Good OP. S+F.

EDIT: I decided add this because I think my original reply might be too negative. I have no doubt if we stick together and keep our facts straight that we will prevail in the end. TPTB will try to manipulate our words to suit their ends, but if we are diligent than they will show themselves as false. Don't be intimidated or loose hope. We are many and they are few, and I think more and more people are waking up. So, keep fighting the good fight!
edit on 6-5-2011 by ProjectBlue because: needed to add some positive additude. lol.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Remember - being a geek used to be a BAD thing. Then, one day, geeks were running the World.

Making a particular group look like the underdog can have unintended consequences.

Love this! Here's to this being the case here.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Go to your local pub and you may just be surprised. I've been openly speaking my mind about politics, economics, and all the conspiracies that are taking place.

People know that I'm not too dull, so tend to listen when I passionately speak out against something.

I've made a point to periodically show how ridiculous it is to lump all "conspiracy theorists" into one grouping of "crazy".

Just be sure to add in a bunch of humor into your views, else they'll lose interest.

We need people to NOT be scared to speak their mind in public. So get sloppy, and start ranting already! It's how $4!7 get's done, dammit!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Agreed 100%. I was thinking about starting a thread like this one the other day. It seems that every time I watch the news these days they are bashing people for questioning them and our Gov't. They are constantly throwing out little jabs and grouping all conspiracy theorist together as a bunch of whack jobs.

Now, I will admit that there are many theorist out there that make the group as a whole look like a bunch of nuts. But from my experience, on this site in particular, the crazies tend to get straightened out, or shooed under the rug pretty quickly.

Now, with more and more people beginning to question the direction our country is going in, the MSM finds it necessary to further discredit the theorist by molding the general publics (sheeples) perception. People have a natural tendency to conform and fit in with the majority...It's high school on a grandiose scale, If you do this...you will fit in with the cool kids. With more and more people "waking up" each day the majority is getting chipped away one day at a time.

Great post!! S&F

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
One of the most popular tech blogs on the net, Gizmodo, has started in on on the war against skeptics. Most of the commenters on blogs like that are those who claim to be scientific and will also bash theists because they demand proof, blah blah blah. But when it comes to the State, they just swallow whatever they're spoonfed.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I really do think that our world leaders are using the tag " conspiracy theorist" as a tool
too instigate the need for censorship online. Which inturn, will justify their want for limiting our use online to paid subscription or tierd services.

This will likely will be done for the means of national and world security from hackers and collaborators of treason(consiracy theorists). This will be done to make it easier for govts. to censor the info and communique online, and allow an increase to the profitability margine of govt. and corp. programs that will utilize the subscription/ tierd services. I seriously think the internet is going the way of the greedily ran cable companies.

This is only my opinion, but when there is money to be made, you can always trust your local govt. and corps. to be there to take advantage of it.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Oh...just wanted to add one thing. I believe that 9/11 opened a lot of people's eyes to the fact that there is a segment of the population that does not necessarily agree with everything they're told. Obviously. So also obviously, these people are now hypersensitive to this fact, so whenever there is an event like the one we had this week, they expect us now
So, yes, it may appear that there is a war on conspiracy theorists, and that may well be the case, but maybe not in all cases. In some it just may be the new knowledge. So I figure it might be important to try to discern which is which if we can and not assume that everyone is out to get you? Hope that makes sense.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Well, as a conspiracy factualist, I guess I'm exempt

But seriously, conspiracy THEORIST... Theory = idea... what's so dangerous about an idea?

They may slander us, they may persecute us, arrest us, torture us, jail us... but at the end of the day as Guy Fawkes said: "You can't kill an idea, they're indestructible".

So, I will take whatever punishment is dished out for questioning authority, denying ignorance, searching for answers and voicing my opinion. But I wonder if this whole thing isn't just a modern "witch-hunt"

"...It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a responsible citizen!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakeLeMaster
One of the most popular tech blogs on the net, Gizmodo, has started in on on the war against skeptics. Most of the commenters on blogs like that are those who claim to be scientific and will also bash theists because they demand proof, blah blah blah. But when it comes to the State, they just swallow whatever they're spoonfed.

Scientist and atheist aren't synonymous no matter how many people wish it was.

Stories in religions can be falsified. The concept of divinity is unfalsifiable, which is not the same as saying impossible.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The line is being drawn. It's a funny label. A label "They" are using more and more to describe people that enjoy living in reality.

The lies are falling apart. They are delusional. The people in the Whitehouse are so out of touch with reality it is scary. I think normal people need to ramp it up. Time to calmly point out the mental disorders that are running this country and the world. They would do much better in a quiet home in the country. In a straight jacket. Having out of control lunatics, who have no reality compass running the world is a little uncomfortable for most people. Their time is coming to an end.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
[color=deepskyblue]I watched a special not long ago on 'fusion centers'. Doing so made me add a layer of foil to my hat.

When the OBL news came out, my first question was 'What are they distracting us from?'

Fukishima? Birth Certificate? Syria? What?
edit on 6-5-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

There scared to put the pics out cuz they know everyone that has half a brain can tell the difference between a fake image and a non fake

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

I don't think its a war per se. I just think people are really tired of hand wringing about everything now. We need to put all our focus on solving real conspiracies. I love a good conspiracy like JFK or UFO coverups. That stuff is likely. The way JFK was killed just seems like a conspiracy to me. They kill him, then they kill the guy who killed him, then they kill the guy who killed him who killed him. Then that guys dies of cancer.

And the universe is just too big for there not to be UFO's. People are tired of the side show conspiracies.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I think the government do see us as a threat, not in the sense of weather were right or wrong but in the sense that more and more people are taking conspiracy theories seriously and it is hurting the governments credibility.

that is why they're coming down on us.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AeonStorm
... is a full on information war.

professor/doctor/emeritus alex jones is on teh case.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir
more and more people are taking conspiracy theories seriously and it is hurting the governments credibility.

and bombing poor people doesn't hurt teh guvmnt's credibility? what a looney world we live in indeed...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
S&F OP

I have been noticing this very thing for awhile, quite awhile in fact. In my opinion, the 'war' has been going on against Conspiracy Theorists for years. The stigma attached to the term has been derogatory since nearly the beginning, given the actual description of the people it general applies there should be nothing bad or crazy about exploring alternative theories and keeping an open mind. In school, I remember being taught to question everything, that such a move was not only smart but the most logical way to come to the root of the problem, and find a creative solution. Nowadays, they teach kids to consume as much (insert entertainment/information/media here) as possible without so much as batting an eye to its credibility. With the world of the internet, carefully laid, referenced and double-checked out bibliographies are a thing of the past. Copy & Paste was but the kiss of death.

I'm not saying everyone, there are still those whom are aware or who have awakened, but I find them increasingly labeled 'alternative' and 'out there' or some other kind of negative condentation like must be on some crazy drug then a serious source of well thought-out theories backed up with solidily investigated evidence. As a race, we are capable of amazing, remarkable, unbelievable things - but instead we're living in a world cloaked in fear where neighbour is pitted against neighbour and closed minds is the norm. Really makes you wonder, what wool is being tied over our eyes. The theme of us being naught but blind sheep has been explored by countless artists and musicians, with such a universial understanding of this archetype that goes straight back to the bible - where conveniently many were scorned for having alternative versions of the truth.

But getting back to the issue at hand - how this war on conspiracy / alternative theories has seemed to reach a pinnacle of late is dead on. With our current elecontric world, with social media and our ability to share there should be no reason, none at all, that news - especially of the local kind, is hard to come by.

All I have to say is, something is being done to keep the news the people are really interested in, from being in the news. Going back to what Invariance brought up earlier * (I'll quote below) its uncomforting to think of how actively I have to go out and search some information that should be available before I even finish typing it in the google search bar. While to some degree I can understand (although not agree with) why not much is said about Japan anymore in Canadian local news, it plagues me with a deep sense of discomfort how I can live in British Columbia and yet hear absolutely nothing, not a damn word, about the flooding in Alberta I province that a great deal of British Columbians have either hailed from, or visited in great depth.

How do I have to hear of this from the social media sites of friends in the area - and even then rarely - when its so close to home? I used to think by reading the news, you were in the 'know'. The more I actively read it and search it out, the more I realize I am clueless in the hail of conflicting information and retracted/changed statements. Maybe I've just read too many history books, but it seems to me like propaganda has a harsher choke hold on the media then ever.

Originally posted by Invariance
Nothing stated in well over a month about how the folks in Japan are doing, I have to actively search out news to see what's going on with the flood in Alberta.

It angers me that important news is NOT being covered

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I'm not against Conspiracy Theorists, In fact, I am one. But some people take it a little too far when they imply everything the governemnt does is a Conspiracy. Usama "Been Got-ten" is dead. Al Qaeda says so. They are pissed. So dont tell us he isnt. And dont tell us everything the govt does is a conspiracy. You'll be a lot more credible in my eyes, at least.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The thing I have the most difficulty with is that if one is capable of logic and cogent thought, how could such a person watch everything taking place on the news and not think, "THIS IS A LOAD OF DUNG!!" I was angry on September 11th but I want more answers! This is not a game!

So many bizarre things took place in the 2 days following the news report of OBL's death. Did it not bother anybody else that the majority of the people cheering appeared to be in there early 20s? A generation of pre-teens 10 years ago. At that age, hormones and rage are all we have to go on. This young generation is the one that is paying the price in blood and they are okay with it.

Why did the media respond to this whole thing more like a ministry of propaganda? Sure, who does not want to be the one to break the news that the biggest dirt bag in last part of the 20th century. But to say, in essence, "He is dead... we got him... we don't have pictures and may not be able to show them... but... WE GOT HIM! YEA! Of course some conspiracy theorists will insist on pictures, DNA, body parts, etc., these people are just wacko tea party folks!"

Then of course there is the spam/virus attack of emails flooding cyberspace promising images of a slain Bin Laden. And this is bigger news than the fact that genuine photos could not be released within 24 hours of the completion of the mission? That it was necessary to debate whether or not the person America had most want to see brought to justice have his corpse put on television?

The reality of the situation is that fuel prices are still going up. The stock market is still eroding. Unemployment is at 9 percent. This so called "war on terror" is far from over. There are many that subscribe to the theory that myth is more important than fact. Just because one looks at the world with both eyes open does not make him a conspiracy theorist. It just makes him human.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LexMustReturn
I'm not against Conspiracy Theorists, In fact, I am one. But some people take it a little too far when they imply everything the governemnt does is a Conspiracy. U.

This is the key I think. I just can't believe everything the government does is a conspiracy. I mean really, laws on clean air and fair pay for women are some kind of conspiracy now?

I guess I can tolerate some side show conspiracies but the side show conspiracies about the government need to be backed up with better facts than what people put out there. I'm talking the side show conspiracies that are picked up by the mass media. On ATS is fine for debate I guess...that I agree with. But when the entire country is debating side show conspiracies in the main stream media then it takes away from real issues that need to be addressed.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join