It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama administration drafts plan to tax cars by the mile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
That's nice uh?

Obama administration floats draft plan to tax cars by the mile

The Obama administration has floated a transportation authorization bill that would require the study and implementation of a plan to tax automobile drivers based on how many miles they drive.

The plan is a part of the administration's Transportation Opportunities Act, an undated draft of which was obtained this week by Transportation Weekly.

The White House, however, said the bill is only an early draft that was not formally circulated within the administration.

“This is not an administration proposal," White House spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said. "This is not a bill supported by the administration. This was an early working draft proposal that was never formally circulated within the administration, does not taken into account the advice of the president’s senior advisers, economic team or Cabinet officials, and does not represent the views of the president.”

Sure it isn't...

Among other things, CBO suggested that a vehicle miles traveled (VMT) tax could be tracked by installing electronic equipment on each car to determine how many miles were driven; payment could take place electronically at filling stations.

That means... extra cost for any vehicle, the government knowing where you are and where you went... And they have to keep a record of where you went...otherwise they wouldn't be able to sue those who falsify the data for fraud...

If they get away with that... well it's over. And I can see already the ``benefits``... wives suspecting their husband of cheating can ask for the car's record from the government and boooooom... The government would be able to ``track drug dealers``... and that kind of non-sense.

Doesn't matter what they say, they are coming with this big time, make no mistake about it. They want the money and they want to track you down.
edit on 5-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Sorry but this was posted by someone 11 hours ago and is now on the top picks section of the feed.

Search does help but not always I have been victim more then once.
edit on 5/5/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I thought we were already taxed by the mile, through gasoline taxes. This is double-dipping. Next thing you know when you file your taxes each year you will have to pay a tax administration fee.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I read about this about a Month ago and regardless of what this statement says, we all know that once it's on the table in Washington, it's already a done deal.

I believe this will happen and it will cause a noise among the citizens in America such has never been heard before.

“This is not an administration proposal," White House spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said. "This is not a bill supported by the administration. This was an early working draft proposal that was never formally circulated within the administration, does not taken into account the advice of the president’s senior advisers, economic team or Cabinet officials, and does not represent the views of the president.”

Personally, I believe that if this is not stopped in it's tracks, it will be the final nail in the coffin.

Once you start taxing people for movement, is this not an official announcement that you are not free to go where you want?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
This old ploy rears it's head again.

They will keep pushing this (quietly) until so many people are used to the idea that implementing it will be seen as inevitable.

Fight it BIG TIME.

Why?.....because it is a grand scheme to add tracking and profiling abilities to vehicles and their owners/drivers. Motorcyclists in particular who are usually the sole user of the bike.

Remember, there is a thing called Automatic Numberplate Recognition System (ANRS), already in use in the UK and probably elsewhere so they're getting there already.

Fitting individual trackers to cars will only create huge costs for drivers and even transport restrictions. What if your tracker breaks? Would you be arrested if you drove the car for driving without paying taxes....stupid!

Blind spots where the system cannot be read.
Counterfeit hacking of systems.
Massive administration costs.
Inconvenience when selling or buying a vehicle and transferring ownership.

Oh!...hang on....LET'S CHIP AND TRACK THE INDIVIDUAL TO OVERCOME ALL THOSE PROBLEMS.

No thanks.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
Sorry but this was posted by someone 11 hours ago and is now on the top picks section of the feed.

Search does help but not always I have been victim more then once.

And posting a link to the thread you talk about helps others.

Cheers.

EDIT.....HERE
edit on 5/5/2011 by nerbot because: added link

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I was in Korea a few years ago, driving in a stolen van (Don't ask) and we passed thru a toll gate. 3 mins later we were stopped because of the plate reading.

This was about 4 yrs ago if I remember correctly. We were of course innocent so no problem.

Scary stuff.

edit on 5-5-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
They already do this with gas taxes, no?

The Federal Tax of 18.4 cents per gallon is collected in all states in addition to any state or local taxes on gasoline sales.www.gaspricewatch.com...

It pisses me off that they are squeezing every last penny out of those who still have some pennies left, which is fewer and fewer of us everyday, because they were such bloody idiots and to stupid to see the erosion to our tax base coming as they merrily allowed jobs to be shipped overseas, billionaires to hide their money and pay lower taxes, and corporations to pay virtually NO taxes, despite the fact that they use the LIE of an excuse that our rate is higher than any other country's. Yeah. On PAPER. Because they were incompetent or had a nefarious plan, now we have to pay even more? Bleep you federal government. Bleep you to hell.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
They already do this with gas taxes, no?

Yep, double taxation is so fun.
And YOU GONNA LIKE IT BOY... otherwise you're a terrorist and you hate America!

edit on 5-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Hell, if you think about it, we're triple taxed because us dumbass, cornered consumers also get passed the increased costs of the effects of things like gas prices rising, and no doubt the same will happen here as transportation costs increase for semis, taxis, and so on and so forth.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Truth is that Congress can pass anything and Americans will merely complain.

Patriot Act and Healthcare are prime examples.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
i am floating a bill in this thread that obama gets taxed for every stupid word that comes out of his mouth

that federal deficit would be paid off in no time.

the guy is an idiot and that will effect the prices of everything single thing we as a consumer goto the store and buy

pretty stupid considering we still have a weak economy that could go back into recession at any moment.

edit on 5-5-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
This is not Obama but yet another scam courtesy of TPTB to keep us in continued debt. Nothing more, nothing less!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
This is not Obama but yet another scam courtesy of TPTB to keep us in continued debt. Nothing more, nothing less!

I'm actually going to agree with you here. BO is just the front man for the Shadow Govt.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Of course.....track ALL of our vehicles, that way people without onstarr get spied on to....this is turning into freaking Russia and i'm tired of it

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
"Transportation (Revenue) Opportunities Act" is what they should call it. This would be the worst thing they could possibly do, this would finish destroying our economy and our currency. Remember the Beatles tune Taxman, because soon enough "When you take a walk, they'll tax your feet, Taxman!"

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Massive administration costs.

Well....I suppose it would provide more jobs for people looking for jobs.

I was wondering. How do they decide what they can and cannot tax?

new topics

top topics

join