It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin "kind of wimpy", says NASA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
With everyone creating all kinds of theories about this comet's approach(and upon reading on here that NASA took down Elenin's info) I though I would do some checking on the NASA website. a quick search in the search bar brings up this article, posted yesterday, May 4th, 2011

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

"That is what happens with these long-period comets that come in from way outside our planetary system," said Don Yeomans of NASA's Near-Earth Object Program Office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "They make these long, majestic, speedy arcs through our solar system, and sometimes they put on a great show. But not Elenin. Right now that comet looks kind of wimpy."

(Visit the link to see the full story)

Personally, I never thought this comet would do anything to us...but what about mercury? look at the image provided in the link. It looks like it touches it. I wonder how close its actually going to be.

edit: nevermind about mercury, as weedwhacker pointed out, the image is from a still frame and I hadn't taken that into account. stupid mistake.

edit on 5-5-2011 by semicolonsmile because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Diaries of a wimpy comet

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Oh my God almost a full paragraph of you're own text. How wonderful. No snf.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by semicolonsmile

another snippet from the same article, for the people that will inevitably say it's still going to cause a pole shift:

"Comet Elenin will not encounter any dark bodies that could perturb its orbit, nor will it influence us in any way here on Earth," said Yeomans. "It will get no closer to Earth than 35 million kilometers [about 22 million miles]. "

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by semicolonsmile
on the NASA website. a quick search in the search bar brings up this article

But you couldnt use ATS's search bar?
Yesterdays thread on this NASA article

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
NASA shouldn't throw stones or comets!

I'd like to see what they'd say if it hit NASA headquarters. . .

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

I really don't care about stars and flags, just correct information.

Thanks for your(correct spelling) awesome contribution as well.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Yeah you know what, I didnt think to do that. I usually do... oh well. im sure a mod will be here within minutes to close this thread down.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

There is nothing to contribute to partner. That's the whole point of me complaining about all the lazy or shy new members that are suffering from arthritis, tired fingers, or what ever is demeaning to the quality if this site. Can't call it really. But is two paragraphs of your thoughts on the subject in text in the OP to much for your fingys?
Or maybe you can just say, hey you know you're right. And I'm cool with that and I will try ?

Or maybe you don't care about ATS guidelines either?
edit on 5-5-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
It's not the comet that is the issue, it's what is behind it.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by thorazineshuffle

Oh, for crying out loud!!!

DENY such ignorance....there is NOTHING "behind" Comet Elenin.....sheesh.....

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Why deny possibility?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

why ignore facts? wasn't that some sorcha faal stuff anyway???

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

There is nothing to contribute to partner. That's the whole point of me complaining about all the lazy or shy new members that are suffering from arthritis, tired fingers, or what ever is demeaning to the quality if this site. Can't call it really. But is two paragraphs of your thoughts on the subject in text in the OP to much for your fingys?
Or maybe you can just say, hey you know you're right. And I'm cool with that and I will try ?

Or maybe you don't care about ATS guidelines either?
edit on 5-5-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Well yeah, I normally don't have a lot to say in real life either. The thing is, what do you want me to write? I could have gone on a longer rant about how all the theories behind Elenin are ridiculous, but I didn't, because then the people who believe those theories would have been the ones complaining. You could have offered some speculation about mercury being closer to its travel path than earth, even maybe made a new EOW theory of it (OMG, Elenin is going to hit mercury and send it into the sun and the sun is going to launch the biggest solar flare ever recorded in history!!!!) but you didn't, you chose to criticize for my lack of words(with a one-liner, i might add, lets review the guidelines together). As stated, I only wish to contribute/read about REAL facts here. I'm not interested in "speculation" when it comes to these things, 99 percent of that "speculation" is not factual, and will never be proven as such.

IMO the quality of this site is being diminished not by shy members such as myself, but by the ridiculous amount of people on here that will believe ANYTHING and post it.

edit on 5-5-2011 by semicolonsmile because: added more words

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The article states that we will not see elenin for thousands of years after this visit. Interesting.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

OMG, Elenin is going to hit mercury and send it into the sun and the sun is going to launch the biggest solar flare ever recorded in history!!!!

Yeah, might as well start a new thread with that title. Make a youtube video to go along with it, and cite some "chinese astronomers", and a NASA official who wishes to remain anomymous. A nice jpg image to go with it, and a fake news article on a web site.
Fact is, about half the people here will believe it straight off.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by semicolonsmile

Ummmmm....you "ask" about Mercury. You being serious?

Because, this from your OP: www.jpl.nasa.gov...

Is a single frame from an animated plug-in available also from JPL. (**) But, just looking at that one image....all you see is the projected path of Comet Elenin intersecting the point where Mercury is THEN....while the comet is still outside the orbit of Mars! Mercury moves.....a moving "target"....won't get hit. (Not by this comet.....)

In any event......the estimated size of Elenin?? Tops, 10 km in diameter. Mercury, the planet.....is pockmarked with craters, more so than the Moon, they are discovering. Like all the planets, early in the Solar System's formation it underwent millions of impacts, from bodies of various sizes. Still there.....

Elenin, IF it impacted Mercury? Would leave a crater....and do not much else......

(**)...oh, BTW...here is the JPL link. You need the JAVA applet for the animation:

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

OMG, Elenin is going to hit mercury and send it into the sun and the sun is going to launch the biggest solar flare ever recorded in history!!!!

Yeah, might as well start a new thread with that title. Make a youtube video to go along with it, and cite some "chinese astronomers", and a NASA official who wishes to remain anomymous. A nice jpg image to go with it, and a fake news article on a web site.
Fact is, about half the people here will believe it straight off.

Right. but the problem here is the "quiet" members...lolz
Don't forget to add the NASA logo to the video for extra credibility.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Thanks for the link.

No, I don't believe it will do anything to mercury.

I was just curious about how close it was going to get to it. That is all.

I, like you, like facts.

Edit: Wow, after re-reading your post I can see my error. I don't know how I overlooked that. thanks again. You're one of the few people on here who's opinion I will listen to.
edit on 5-5-2011 by semicolonsmile because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

The article states that we will not see elenin for thousands of years after this visit.

The more precise details still being calculated, with every observation they refine it.

Some are estimating now that it (Elenin) may have an orbital period of around 660,000 years. Others have determined that its orbit may be hyperbolic.....open-ended.....its course may NOT be a closed ellipse, but will slingshot around our Sun, and continue on such a trajectory that the Sun's gravitational field will not influence it enough for it to return.

This will be more accurate, the closer it gets, and after perihelion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join