It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another leap into the future!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
SAN FRANCISCO – In the race to build a faster computer chip, there is literally nowhere to go but up. Today's chip surfaces are packed with the tiniest electronic switches the laws of physics allow, but Intel Corp. says it is blowing past those limits with a breakthrough, three-dimensional transistor design it revealed Wednesday.Analysts call it one of the most significant developments in silicon transistor design since the integrated circuit was invented in the 1950s. It opens the way for faster smartphones, lighter laptops and a new generation of supercomputers — and possibly for powerful new products engineers have yet to dream up.Minuscule fins jutting from the surface of the typically flat transistors improve performance without adding size, just as skyscrapers make the most of a small square of land."When I looked at it, I did a big, `Wow,'" said Dan Hutcheson, a longtime semiconductor industry watcher and CEO of VLSI Research Inc.(Article continued on link)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
sorry forgot the link news.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by VicDiaz89

here is better link with VIDEO

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Not sure if this plays into the leap forward,but read it this morning. Sounds like a major shift in the way we use computers.

www.nationalpost.com...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Ultraman2011

hard to imagine todays technology getting any more compact lol pretty soon our smartphones will be so thin theylle fold like plastic.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

hard to imagine todays technology getting any more compact lol pretty soon our smartphones will be so thin theylle fold like plastic bags.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

like this

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
im really just waiting on my flying discs that never needs to be recharged and could be used as a generator.... let me know when that happens but all this other crap they had at least 50+ years in advanced IMO!!! no sources for this its just my thoughts.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by HisMajesty

I think even Jean Luc Picard would be impressed! This will revolutionize the way we interact with computers.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by VicDiaz89

Cool i cannot wait for the AMD response!
2nd line reserved for witty comeback at a future date.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Too cool. I can't wait for the really cool stuff though. Like the life sign detectors, or the communicators shaped kinda like a triangle that just pins on to your shirt and medical scanners that can heal broke bones in an instant.

top topics

join