It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I picked up a ciggarette bud yesterday.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Yup. It was near midnight. I was walking home after enjoying the outside smell and saw it on the floor. I examined it for a few seconds, minutes to exaggerate. And as i was looking at it, i picked it up. No cars around. No people around. Not earth day. No recent memory of someone saying i should do this. No nothing. I picked it up and put it into my pocket. When i went home i threw it in the trash can.

It felt weird doing it though. You know that feeling when you talk about conspiracy theories to a non believer? That same feeling. It's like something i shouldn't do. Lol. Because in my mind i thought, why am i doing something that doesn't benefit me? I don't have some cute girl looking at me thinking how caring i was for helping the planet which is something i would normally think about even though for that reason i wouldn't pick it up.

YES YES i am guilty of posting it here, but i wanted to share my experience. The cigg butt weighed heavy in my pocket. But as i neared home i wondered why so many people don't take the time to do so, yet they complain about it? Eh that's not a question i want you guys to answer because i know you are all good souls that would deft say that you pick them up often for your own personal enjoyment. I bet there was a thread like this on this site. But this is about me xD

It was just weird.. there's a taboo on saving the planet. Picking up garbage. Buying fuel efficient cars. Taking cans out of trash and put it into recycle. There are locations where this is occurring often but mostly it seems that it is to be an outsider to not help mother earth.

Guys, it's a good feeling really. I've picked up trash before and threw it out but this was a heavy experience.
Who doesn't take the time to do this? Are you too busy?
edit on 5-5-2011 by Anttyk47 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

I pick up trash all the time also, to throw it away on the way to the bin.

Just don't come round my house if you get the feeling again, there must be about 10,000 cig butts in the street from me and everyone else! Funny that every other form of trash seems to bother me but cig butts really don't, they shred and fall apart after a couple of days.
What really p!@#es me off are bottles and cans that everyone tosses away from there cars.
I know I am a hypocrite!

edit on 5/5/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Well done. Although, didnt you find a trash can before you got home?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
With the rising price of a pack of cigs in Canada, that butt is probably going to be worth a buck someday.

Better than gold!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
It frustrates me immensely - I live in a very, very beautiful part of my city, we are surrounded by native bushland, which is full of animals in their natural habitation.

People pay a considerable amount of money to live in this area, but I still always find rubbish along the trail - which I pick up. I can't believe people have so little thought; they will literally eat, and then just drop their rubbish on a pristine nature trail.

I'm looking forward to the day that I catch someone doing it ...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I am generally a Libertarian at heart, but I sometimes wonder if we should follow Singapore's example and be more militant in enforcing littering laws. Folks I've talked to that have been their speak very highly of the cleanliness of the cities. I comment your actions,but wonder if it like deciding not to pee in the kiddie pool when 25 other kids are doing so.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
Well done. Although, didnt you find a trash can before you got home?

It was a residential area :O

Originally posted by jude11
With the rising price of a pack of cigs in Canada, that butt is probably going to be worth a buck someday.

Better than gold!

Hehehe i was wondering actually on my way back when they're gonna make real eco freindly cigs... that's what the taboo thing got me to think. They won't. Maybe they will make reuseable cig butts though. Just spray some bleach and you're fine!

Originally posted by AnteBellum

I pick up trash all the time also, to throw it away on the way to the bin.

Just don't come round my house if you get the feeling again, there must be about 10,000 cig butts in the street from me and everyone else! Funny that every other form of trash seems to bother me but cig butts really don't, they shred and fall apart after a couple of days.
What really p!@#es me off are bottles and cans that everyone tosses away from there cars.
I know I am a hypocrite!

edit on 5/5/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

Well cigs could just stay there for a while then tear up on the concrete and leave a cig mark. You know those embedded papers on the sidewalks? XD

edit on 5-5-2011 by Anttyk47 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando
It frustrates me immensely - I live in a very, very beautiful part of my city, we are surrounded by native bushland, which is full of animals in their natural habitation.

People pay a considerable amount of money to live in this area, but I still always find rubbish along the trail - which I pick up. I can't believe people have so little thought; they will literally eat, and then just drop their rubbish on a pristine nature trail.

I'm looking forward to the day that I catch someone doing it ...

Wouldn't want to be that guy from an ExCommando XD
It's a shame. I didn't think this would be a trash thread but hey it really is frustrating this whole you have to be outside the circle to throw away someone else's trash =\

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Personally, I think its wonderful you took the time to care. Where I live, the streets are riddled with trash. Its way more than what one person can handle, but I try to do my part. The problem is that not enough people are willing to take 5 or 10 minutes a week to clean the trash out of their gutters or off the side of the road, you know? If everyone in America picked up just one cig butt today, we would have some 400,000,000 less cig butts on the street. Does this make sense? I know it will never happen, gods forbid anyone think about anything but themselves for once, but its just nice to think about. Thanks for doing your part, even if it seemed small or effortless.

Maybe I'm just an idealist but if more people did exactly what you did today it would be a cleaner, better world for everyone. Star and flag.

edit on 5-5-2011 by ProjectBlue because: typos. XD

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ProjectBlue

The same with earth day. Cept earth day is saving... energy.
The energy to create more garbage

There should be a earth year IMO. Take the time this year to throw away some trash, tell people about throwing away stuff. Ect. I know where the trash goes, that's a adifferent story. But Taking care of one problem at a time y'know. I didn't feel like i was saving the planet. I just felt like i was... just doing it and it felt good. What was interesting about the whole thing is i was just thinking how people don't do this. That really got me thinking that whole time.

I love earth

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I am a smoker and the one thing that I absolutely can't stand is when lazy, inconsiderate people throw cigarette butts on
the ground. If I'm outside and there is no ashtray, I'll scrape the end till the hot falls off, and put the butt in my pocket, or in a little baggy in my purse. Also, wft do people throw butts out of the car window when most all cars have ashtrays? Grrr.......

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Here, this thread made me think of this and I thought you would like to see. A man in Japan has made a machine that converts plastic back into oil! Its an amazing thing. Why hasnt anyone picked up on it? I guess cause making trash is big business. Also, its a challenge (to a point) to oil companies and thats a big no-no! I hope you enjoy.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by virraszto
I am a smoker and the one thing that I absolutely can't stand is when lazy, inconsiderate people throw cigarette butts on
the ground. If I'm outside and there is no ashtray, I'll scrape the end till the hot falls off, and put the butt in my pocket, or in a little baggy in my purse. Also, wft do people throw butts out of the car window when most all cars have ashtrays? Grrr.......

There's this little stanic joke thing that i make when i drive or someone else drives...

"Mailbox 20 points" "Cop 250 Points" "Curb 5 points" "School of children 1000 points"

It's really comical but if we put that into reference..

"Car 300 points" "Guy threw cig bud out of car 800 points"

Hope you understand XD

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Have a small teak box I carved that carry when out.. When finish cigarette I field strip it and put it in the box to properly dispose of when home rather than leave cigarette butts all over.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Have a small teak box I carved that carry when out.. When finish cigarette I field strip it and put it in the box to properly dispose of when home rather than leave cigarette butts all over.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I was driving to an appointment the other day and was sitting at a red light for a minute or two. On the left of me was a park that was completely littered with trash...it was such a sorry sight. Later that day I took my sons to a skatepark near our house and the same thing there...hundreds of bottles and containers..I'd have to assume from the young skaters that frequent that park. Only about 100 ft from the actual skate area was an empty trash can....

I know people are going to litter, and it's hard to change people's minds but honestly it seems to be getting worse all the time. I have stuck cig. butts, sticky gooey lollipop sticks from my kids, melted chocolate bar wrappers and probably much worse in my pocket until I found a garbage to dispose of them, but I have friends that find nothing wrong with throwing completely inappropriate things on the ground. It burns my butt!! We were at a park last summer and a friend changed her child's diaper...looked around and didn't see a garbage can so put the dirty diaper on the ground beside the bench we were sitting on!!! I totally ticked her off when I called her on it and threw the diaper in the bottom of the stroller. I don't see how much of an inconvenience that is...

SLOBS!!

Michelle

join